Is it normal for wr450 motor to be this loud?

15 replies to this topic
  • gcally

Posted September 28, 2013 - 04:21 PM

I know they are loud motors and I feel like a total idiot asking this question but man this thing is really loud. It seems to make more noise after it warms up to operating temp.

I bought the bike as a 07 leftover and only put 40 miles on it so far. Oil was changed when I got it home from the dealer.

Also I have the idle set a little high and it is hanging a tiny bit.

• Parrett121

Posted September 28, 2013 - 04:28 PM

I have an 03 with gutted stock pipe and spark arrester still in and it's a loud bike. I think it's just the way they are.

• still2smokin

Posted September 28, 2013 - 04:41 PM

Sounds exactly like mine ,  so I hope its ok .   But then again, the last time I asked someone " hey

does my valve train sound loud to you  ? " I ended buying a motor from you 3 weeks later .   

Seriously though , it sounds the same as my 05 and my buddy's 06 , I think you are good .  

I assume you have a skid plate on it as I do mine and have heard they amplify the valve train noise.

Makes me wanna go record my bike running with and without a skid plate to see the difference.

Edited by still2smokin, September 28, 2013 - 04:43 PM.

• gcally

Posted September 28, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Sounds exactly like mine ,  so I hope its ok .   But then again, the last time I asked someone " hey

does my valve train sound loud to you  ? " I ended buying a motor from you 3 weeks later .   

Seriously though , it sounds the same as my 05 and my buddy's 06 , I think you are good .  

I assume you have a skid plate on it as I do mine and have heard they amplify the valve train noise.

Makes me wanna go record my bike running with and without a skid plate to see the difference.

I do not have a skid plate on it in the video. I have a Hyde Racing one in the garage ready to go on.

Two more videos

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 28, 2013 - 05:37 PM

No way to tell in a video that has been compressed just what we are hearing.

....but it's probably the same senario we all have gone through.....'something has to be wrong, this thing is noisy!'...

If you are listening to the motor, you need more difficult terrain to take your mind off of it!

• still2smokin

Posted September 28, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Does this make you feel better ? 

http://s670.photobuc...ae46bd.mp4.html

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 28, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Actually, now that I listen to that first recording again, you definitely have a problem

It sounds like a very loose valve, or a bad cam chain tensioner.....or no oil....

• littlebigpuff

Posted September 28, 2013 - 07:55 PM

i  can hear a ticking sound . i asume it the same sound that worries you ?

i own a 12 wr450f

Edited by littlebigpuff, September 28, 2013 - 07:55 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gcally

Posted September 28, 2013 - 08:36 PM

i  can hear a ticking sound . i asume it the same sound that worries you ?

i own a 12 wr450f

Are you saying on your 2012 you can hear the same ticking sound or you can hear it in my videos?

• gcally

Posted September 28, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Actually, now that I listen to that first recording again, you definitely have a problem

It sounds like a very loose valve, or a bad cam chain tensioner.....or no oil....

Oil level is correct.

Sure does sound like cam chain noise or loose valve. Bike literally only has 3 hours ride time on it. I sure hope the noise is nothing.

• gcally

Posted September 28, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Does this make you feel better ? 

http://s670.photobuc...ae46bd.mp4.html

Do you get the same ticking sound when your bike revs up? It is hard to tell from video.

• still2smokin

Posted September 28, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Do you get the same ticking sound when your bike revs up? It is hard to tell from video.

Yes , as far as I remember .  I will check tomorrow. 

• gcally

Posted September 29, 2013 - 05:05 AM

Yes , as far as I remember .  I will check tomorrow. 

Thanks for all the help!

I just checked the oil pressure weep hole and oil started to drip after a couple of seconds.

• littlebigpuff

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:51 AM

i own a 2012 wr450f and it does sound simalar  but in your videos there is a ticking sound  that is very prominent .
is this "ticking sound " what you are refering too ? hard to pinpoint from your videos but i would say go to ANY  bike shop and wheel her out the back and ask the mechanic if he thinks the bike sounds normal . and if he mentions the ticking from the top end  id say check valves

• swolf

Posted September 29, 2013 - 08:19 AM

sounds similar to my 06 and my buddy's 09 hard to tell in a video. id check the valves and timing chain at least

why is there a line through my post?

Edited by swolf, September 29, 2013 - 08:20 AM.

• littlebigpuff

Posted October 03, 2013 - 09:04 PM

turns out my bike has a simalar noise  along with being a very load bike as it is  . she idles at around 2100 - 2050 ish

did you find out if yours is ok ?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.