2011 yz450f kickstarter locks up

3 replies to this topic
  • ratom98

Posted September 28, 2013 - 02:21 PM

took it on my first desert ride with it yeaterday ( have taken it to the track 3 times), twice the kickstarter locked up i couldn't move it at all. i had to put it in gear and rock it back and forth to free it. we had some slower people with us so i was shutting off the bike and starting it a lot ( probably 40 times throughout the day) because i was worried it might overheat if it just let it idle. it was also hard to start a few times, most the time it started on the first kick but a few times i had to kick it upwards of 10 kicks to get it started. the bike seemed to run fine besides that. it has about 25 hrs total on it so i don't think it would be valve clearence issue but this is my first 4 stroke so i don't really know much about them. i did change to a map that was richer on bottom and a little bit retarded ignition, not sure if that's a factor. anyone have this problem before?

• grayracer513

Posted September 28, 2013 - 03:41 PM

Read: http://www.thumperta...e/#entry7958614

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ratom98

Posted September 28, 2013 - 05:55 PM

its interesting how the AD works but the kickstarter wasn't just hard to kick, it wouldn't move at all even with almost all my weight on it, as i thought it was just in the hard part of the compression stroke the first time it happened. if the cam timing chain had slipped would there be a noticible difference in performance?

• grayracer513

Posted September 28, 2013 - 06:48 PM

if the cam timing chain had slipped would there be a noticible difference in performance?

To be sure, and in the case of the exhaust cam, a major change in starting compression.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.