Retrofitting compression release clutch to FI WR450

8 replies to this topic
  • W85W58

Posted September 27, 2013 - 04:28 AM

Guys,

I have a 2012 WR450 that doesn't like to start.  It does start though, if I pull the start knob, whether hot, cold, boiling, etc.

Is there a way to retrofit a clutch with a compression release lever to the start knob?????  I know there are some pretty smart guys on here.  Some of the problems that I've thought of so far....

Detent on the start knob... is there a way to bypass that or make it so it doesn't "detent"???  (I rather just have it spring loaded)

How could I attach the end of the cable to the start knob???   One problem is still having the ability to adjust the idle speed.  I wouldn't want to lose that.  That would still have to be done on the actual knob.  

Do you guys foresee any other issues with this idea???

IMHO, It would be great to have that right at your fingertips... literally.

Jon

• SAthump

Posted September 27, 2013 - 04:40 AM

Have your local shop adjust the idle mixture so it starts better

• W85W58

Posted September 27, 2013 - 05:00 AM

Have your local shop adjust the idle mixture so it starts better

Already been down that road...

Just want the start knob actuation on a compression lever.

• vlxjim

Posted September 27, 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'm not getting these 2012-14 FI bikes that don't start. The fact that most do there own work may mean that Yamaha has no idea how bad this is. Mine starts just fine but so many here are having this problem. Yamaha needs to investigate this and fix this problem. We should start a thread (list) where we don't discuss but just post who and the starting problem so we can track how many people are having this problem. These bikes should light up every time you push the button.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • W85W58

Posted September 27, 2013 - 03:24 PM

I'm not getting these 2012-14 FI bikes that don't start. The fact that most do there own work may mean that Yamaha has no idea how bad this is. Mine starts just fine but so many here are having this problem. Yamaha needs to investigate this and fix this problem. We should start a thread (list) where we don't discuss but just post who and the starting problem so we can track how many people are having this problem. These bikes should light up every time you push the button.

I agree with you, but I'm at the point now that I just want it to work.

I've called Yamaha, NA.  They told me the issue would go away after 600 miles.  It hasn't.  Dealer I was taking the bike to won't call me back.  He doesn't know how to fix it.  The best he can tell me is that it starts by kicking every time.  I don't really want to dwell on that though.  I started a thread awhile back addressing the starting issues.

I really just want to figure out how to make this new idea work.  It would completely eliminate my starting issues.  At the end of the day, that's all I want.

• BruiseWalk426

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:06 PM

If you're talking about the hot start knob msr's easy pull clutch lever can come with an extra lever on bottom made for hot start

• littlebigpuff

Posted October 21, 2013 - 12:06 AM

mine starts first time . 2200 km in  (wr450f 2012). at the start it was a joke to start .  but  how many people here wait for it to prime before start

• littlebigpuff

Posted October 21, 2013 - 12:17 AM

also start in neutral can make a difference . there was someone here who removed the starter gear to find it had been scraping against the  wall

• Menzies450

Posted November 02, 2013 - 06:43 PM

I have about 12000 km on my 12 wr450 it's gotten a lot better to start things I notice it likes to start better in neutral and a little trick I do with mine is do a very quick press with the electric start button wait for the pump to stop and do a normal start with that trick works evertime. But if I use the kick start it will start first top dead center kick everytime in gear or neutrel

Edited by Menzies450, November 02, 2013 - 06:44 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.