Fitting '10 - '13 wheels in your '14 YZ450

5 replies to this topic
  • zeuszuki

Posted September 26, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Story goes like this; just brought brand new wheels for my '11 450 , then decided I would purchase a '14.

Problem - front axle went from 20mm to 22mm .

Solution - purchase 38x30x4mm seals ( readily available at bearing supply store ).
- purchase 37x22 bearings ( currently sourced from "Shockcraft" here in NZ ) , will see how long they last. They are MR2237 Enduro bearings.
- machine original bearing spacer from 20.1mm to 22.1mm ID

Assemble and enjoy :-)

Rear wheel - bolts straight in without modification.

Nb: '09 front wheel can be modified as above to fit . Gray , can you confirm this?

Edited by zeuszuki, September 26, 2013 - 08:39 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted September 27, 2013 - 06:20 AM

The '09 (and earlier, back to '98) front wheel is the same as the '10- '13 except for the brake rotor and spacers, and the wheel bearings are the same through that year range, so I would assume that what you can do to an '11 you can do to an '09.

• DDMX18

Posted September 28, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm in the same predicament lots of spare fronts that now don't fit. In looking at the '14 hubs compared with the earlier ones, it looks like the outer diameter of the bearing/seal is the same and they have just gone with a larger inner circumference bearing and seal to accommodate the larger axle. It would be interesting to know if the newer bearing and seals will fit straight into the older wheels?. The only issue might be the bearing spacer, but you've given us a good idea to solve that. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zeuszuki

Posted September 28, 2013 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm in the same predicament lots of spare fronts that now don't fit. In looking at the '14 hubs compared with the earlier ones, it looks like the outer diameter of the bearing/seal is the same and they have just gone with a larger inner circumference bearing and seal to accommodate the larger axle. It would be interesting to know if the newer bearing and seals will fit straight into the older wheels?. The only issue might be the bearing spacer, but you've given us a good idea to solve that.

Outside diameter of '14 seal and bearing is larger than earlier models, the reason why I went this route. You could machine the hub if you have the gear. This was the easy way for me, if I ever had to strip the wheel down then machining could be an option.

• rickallen124

Posted February 19, 2014 - 06:31 AM

I would like to know how well it lasts as I was told by TCR that the bearings would not have enough surface, thickness, to handle the load.

• zeuszuki

Posted February 28, 2014 - 10:50 AM

I would like to know how well it lasts as I was told by TCR that the bearings would not have enough surface, thickness, to handle the load.

14.6 hours so far and zero play, and i Huck everything lol

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.