Fuel pump/filter replacement

8 replies to this topic

Posted September 24, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Looking at the owners manual there is nothing I can find on the fuel filter replacement etc. Doing a search in the YZ section it looks as though its a non-replaceable type? From what I have seen so far Honda has a replaceable type every 30hrs or so and KTM has an in-line type. Does Yamaha just expect these filters to last forever or do they expect the owner to replace the whole pump etc every so many hours? Little in the dark on this because I don't see it really spelled out in the manual on when to check/replace? What kind of maintenance is everyone doing to this system?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 24, 2013 - 03:44 PM

There is an input filter on the pump. It looks like a sanitary napkin inside a cage.

You can remove it, but it is not a simple task. It's easier to just clean it as it is attached.

There is no replacement filter. You clean it like an air filter.

There is no filter between the fuel pump and the throttle body like on a KTM.

Large KTM's also have a fuel pump output filter, inside the tank, which most people remove in favor of an exposed external filter.

You need to use a tank strainer/filter too, so you don't get any large debris in the pump.

Gasoline from the gas station is filled with debris!

Posted September 25, 2013 - 09:56 AM

There is an input filter on the pump. It looks like a sanitary napkin inside a cage.
You can remove it, but it is not a simple task. It's easier to just clean it as it is attached.
There is no replacement filter. You clean it like an air filter.
There is no filter between the fuel pump and the throttle body like on a KTM.
Large KTM's also have a fuel pump output filter, inside the tank, which most people remove in favor of an exposed external filter.
You need to use a tank strainer/filter too, so you don't get any large debris in the pump.
Gasoline from the gas station is filled with debris!

The thread in the YZ section showed him removing it and washing it out with soap and water. What I find weird is my owners manual doesn't show a maintenance schedule for this other than to check every other ride. Seems most similar to the Honda's so if they are saying to replace theirs every 30 hrs then cleaning this one every 30 hrs should be about right. Thought about the drop in tank filter but when I read the customer review on RM it said it fell apart in his tank creating issue's so I threw out that idea. I think KTM's inline filter is the better idea, easy to get to and replace.

• vlxjim

Posted September 25, 2013 - 02:26 PM

I would not add anything inline from the pump to the fuel injector. As it could cause a pressure pulse and cause surges. I would trust Yamaha on this one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:14 AM

What gas tank filters is everyone using? RM shows a Twin Air which has one good/one bad review and a Splitstream with good reviews but not made for the WR.

• woods-rider

Posted October 18, 2013 - 12:18 PM

I would be using one, but I can't find one that is supposed to fit the IMS tank (it has a larger opening than stock).

• mebgardner

Posted January 06, 2014 - 12:03 PM

What gas tank filters is everyone using? RM shows a Twin Air which has one good/one bad review and a Splitstream with good reviews but not made for the WR.

I would also request a reply to this question.

Please.

• aussieklx

Posted January 06, 2014 - 12:23 PM

if you email this bloke, he shoudl be able to make one for the larger opening on the IMS.. just tell him there is a market for it.

http://www.profill-a...store/HOME.html

FYI, i have one for the std 2012 tank.

• mebgardner

Posted January 07, 2014 - 07:15 AM

if you email this bloke, he shoudl be able to make one for the larger opening on the IMS.. just tell him there is a market for it.

http://www.profill-a...store/HOME.html

FYI, i have one for the std 2012 tank.

Have you had any issues with their filter?  Falling apart / tearing / etc?

How long have you been using it?

Thanks,

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.