Head Gasket Orientation

3 replies to this topic
  • Fyrflie

Posted September 24, 2013 - 12:04 PM

Just in the process of rebuilding the top end of my 02 wr426.

I have a factory head gasket but need to know if there is a specific orientation for installing the gasket.

The gasket is a two piece with one side having ridges and the other side having indentations.

Does it matter what side goes up or down ??

• Jedmeister

Posted September 24, 2013 - 03:21 PM

A two piece head gasket?
I just had a look online and the gasket looks like one piece to me and identical to the one I put on my 98 wr400 a month ago.
It can only be orientated one way.

Edited by Jedmeister, September 24, 2013 - 04:38 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fyrflie

Posted September 25, 2013 - 03:02 PM

Hey Jed,

Thanks for the reply.

The gasket is actually two thin pieces of metal crimped together at 4 different spots.

I just tried a dry fit and found that it could be installed either way but makes sense with the ridges up. All of the holes line up that way.

I am going to confirm this with the shop when I pick up my head.

Scott

• Jedmeister

Posted September 25, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Ok i see what you mean by two piece now. I could be wrong man but from memory, I thought it only fitted one way. Anyway, I fitted mine with the ridges up and it's doing its job. There is nothing mentioned in the manual so if it fits both ways then surely it doesn't matter?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.