Yz450f dropped and won't start

27 replies to this topic
  • NitrousR1

Posted September 29, 2013 - 07:06 AM

I'd stick with the gytr off road flywheel, its superior over external flywheel weights that bolt onto the stock flywheel. The gytr simply replaces the stock flywheel.

• Crazyclown

Posted October 04, 2013 - 10:44 AM

Ok, so when I install my cam chain how do I make sure I didn't turn the flywheel with taking it apart? Or should it line itself up when I line up the timing chain?

• grayracer513

Posted October 04, 2013 - 12:12 PM

No, it won't line itself up.  If you have the flywheel off, turn the crank to where the slot for the Woodruff key is straight up toward the cylinder center line. Verify TDC with a screwdriver or such down in the spark plug hole.  If you grab the crank sprocket with a pair of pliers (carefully), you'll notice by turning it slightly left and right that you can actually feel where Top Dead Center is; it's very easy to move the crank 3-4 degrees in either direction.

If you get the timing one tooth wrong, it will be off by 22.5 degrees, the amount that one tooth on the cam sprockets is equal to in crank degrees, so don't be too concerned about being precisely at TDC.   A mistake like that will be obvious, and the timing will be correct if the crank is with 4 degrees of TDC in either direction when you set it up. 

• Crazyclown

Posted October 07, 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thanks a lot for all the help so far. So I got my bike back together an running, but its making a loud knocking so I'm assuming I got bent valves (or no?) or is there maybe something else that could b wrong that would make that noise?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Crazyclown

Posted October 07, 2013 - 04:45 PM

And if I replace the valves, can I just change the 2 exhaust valves or do I have to do them all? And what else should replace other than the valves themselves? And what's better titanium or steel valves?

• grayracer513

Posted October 07, 2013 - 05:14 PM

If it had bent valves, it wouldn't run.

"Loud knock" could be normal or abnormal, and if abnormal, any number of things can cause it.  Take it to a shop and have someone with and educated ear take a listen.

• Crazyclown

Posted October 08, 2013 - 07:01 AM

So I rechecked my my valve clearances and the one was 0.18 mm, so I fixed that and now the knocking is gone. So thanx for all the help.

• Crazyclown

Posted October 09, 2013 - 04:23 PM

So my bike is smoking now tho, should I be worried about that?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.