DIRT IN MY SPARKPLUG

6 replies to this topic
  • roostin426

Posted December 18, 2001 - 08:26 AM

I fouled my plug, its cold and damp. when i pulled the cap off, i didnt notice all the dirt that seeped in there. i pulled the plug out and i know dirt got in. When the plug was out i cranked it a few times by hand and dust and dirt came out. should i put a new plug in and try to wash it out, or will i damage my sleeve, piston valves etc. Please help, I can ride just not a veteran mechanic
thanks

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 18, 2001 - 08:53 AM

Dirt in the cylinder is never good. Would it keep running if you put a new plug in and just started riding again? Probably. Would you notice any damage caused? Possibly not, at least not right away unless it started burning oil from a damaged valve stem seal or some pretty bad scratches in the cylinder. You could also try to flush out the cylinder some how, but you could never be sure how much dirt went in or how much you got out. It's possible, maybe even likely that there would be no significant damage if you were to flush it and then start riding again.

However if it were my personal bike, as painful as it may be, I would remove the head and cylinder and clean it all out good. Be sure to get the piston rings too, you don't want any dirt stuck in there.

One side note. If you decide to try to flush it out some how, do NOT use a shop vac to suck air through the spark plug hole or exhaust! Any air that goes through the carb on the way in to the motor will pick up gas and gas vapor in a shop vac isn't a good thing. :)

• hempking

Posted December 18, 2001 - 10:54 PM

:)
just throw in a plug and ride it!
(you could get hit by a bus tomorrow)
:D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Glen_T

Posted December 18, 2001 - 11:19 AM

You may be able to blow some of the dirt out by blowing compressed air into the spark plug hole while holding the decompression lever open. I would recommend making sure you are at top-dead-center before trying this.
Watch out for busses. They leave nasty bruises! :)

• Boit

Posted December 18, 2001 - 03:48 PM

One way to avoid this problem in the future is to blast compressed air through the weep hole on the side of the head after removing the plug cap. Keep your face away from above the engine when doing this as dirt comes out at velocity.

• roostin426

Posted December 19, 2001 - 07:55 AM

should i be concerned with dirt entering the engine through the weep hole?

• Boit

Posted December 19, 2001 - 08:16 PM

Dirt and debris doesn't enter the engine through the weep hole, it gets in if the spark plug is removed without first blowing it out with compressed air.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.