YZ450F 2011 stalling issues

3 replies to this topic
  • mclean211

Posted September 22, 2013 - 05:47 AM

I'm new to Thumper Talk and will apologize in advance if this question has been addressed already. If it has, I simply can't find it.

I'll start by saying that my bike is all stock. I have the GYTR Tuner only. Regardless of how the FI and IG settings are, my bike stalls occasionally when I roll up and stop WITH the clutch in. Anybody else have this problem and/or the solution?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted September 22, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Check your idle speed.  Could be too low. 

If the idle is set too rich in a carbed engine, it will cause just what you describe because a rich idle causes the engine to drop back to idle speed faster than a leaner idle does, and it can drop so quickly that it actually dips below idle speed before it "catches itself" and then it stalls. 

With fuel injection, though, fuel is often cut off entirely in closed throttle coasting conditions until the engine speed gets to be below a set RPM, and unless you know how the fuel program is set up, it's a little hard to diagnose the problem.  The other thing is that the GYT-R tuner, handy as it is for the money, has no ability to trim the idle fuel mixture one way or the other.  Only the scan tool that Yamaha techs have at the dealerships can do that.  But, that still may be worth trying.  You might hop down to the YZ shop and have someone take a look at leaning it just a bit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mclean211

Posted September 22, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Thanks GrayRacer. I'll check out the idle speed first and go from there.

• mclean211

Posted September 29, 2013 - 05:35 AM

I thought I'd mention how this issue was fixed to help out anyone else who may be having this problem. It turned out the idle was about 350 RPM's too slow. I plugged in the GYTR Tuner, started the bike, and turned the idle up to 2000 RPM's. No more stalling and it even starts easier. Thanks again GrayRacer!

Edited by mclean211, September 29, 2013 - 05:37 AM.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.