Whos got a decent "Dead Engine Start race" EFI Map for the YZ450F?

15 replies to this topic
  • mhebert68

Posted September 21, 2013 - 08:12 AM

Any1? Any1?  Is there 1??  Is the stock Map the best for starting?

• mhebert68

Posted September 22, 2013 - 01:31 PM

nobody?

• dadat40

Posted September 23, 2013 - 04:44 AM

I don't race but mine is sporadic in one kick starts. It will hardly start in gear and if I fuel it to soon it will fire but no start. I ran the valve and it helped bunches. Then we got the idle mixture dialled it and that helped bunches more. My brother and nephew race hare scramble so I  know your frustration.

• Mutley53

Posted September 23, 2013 - 01:16 PM

Unfortunately, the GYTR Power Tuner cannot adjust idle fuel and ignition. I know my '10 was difficult to start in gear. The tool available to dealers may be able to adjust idle/starting conditions. I'm not sure, check with your dealer. Otherwise, your best bet would be a Powercommander type device that can change mapping at idle.

I know it doesn't help you, but my '14 starts easily in gear. I would feel much more confident doing a dead engine start on it than on my '10. I hope you can find a solution.

• mhebert68

Posted September 24, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I wonder if the 4.4  oz Flywheel would aid in starting??  Anybody have any flywheel input??

• SparksXR426

Posted September 24, 2013 - 07:36 PM

I have the GYTR off road flywheel on mine and no, doesn't help starting. I did the Injectioneering mod on my throttle body and that helped considerably but it still doesn't start as easily as my 08 did. They start best I find when the engine is warmed up but not really hot. I hardly bother trying to get it to fire in gear, that's a real crap shoot.

• WouldsAssassin

Posted September 24, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I wonder if the 4.4  oz Flywheel would aid in starting??  Anybody have any flywheel input??

Funny. I just installed the GYTR flywheel on my '11 and one of the plusses from my weekend of testing was easier starting. I didn't do anything else to it. What used to drive me nuts on the trail and take 3 or 4 or more kicks, now seems to start in 1 or 2. No, it still won't start in gear, but starts easier. 

If you race offroad you really need to get the heavier flywheel. MXA tested the newly released Steahly flywheel (9 oz) and there staffers liked it on the mx track. 9oz may be better than the 4.4 from GYTR and it costs just over $100.

I feel a complete remap of the starting control is the only way to get it to start as a FI bike should. I'm sort of sitting back for a bit until the '14s are given more all around testing. If they are smoother off idle and start better I'm curious if the throttlebody has changed and if it'll swap to the 10-13 bikes. Might actually be cheaper than an injectioneering mod. 

Edited by WouldsAssassin, September 24, 2013 - 09:23 PM.

• mhebert68

Posted September 25, 2013 - 04:43 AM

Funny. I just installed the GYTR flywheel on my '11 and one of the plusses from my weekend of testing was easier starting. I didn't do anything else to it. What used to drive me nuts on the trail and take 3 or 4 or more kicks, now seems to start in 1 or 2. No, it still won't start in gear, but starts easier. 

If you race offroad you really need to get the heavier flywheel. MXA tested the newly released Steahly flywheel (9 oz) and there staffers liked it on the mx track. 9oz may be better than the 4.4 from GYTR and it costs just over $100.

I feel a complete remap of the starting control is the only way to get it to start as a FI bike should. I'm sort of sitting back for a bit until the '14s are given more all around testing. If they are smoother off idle and start better I'm curious if the throttlebody has changed and if it'll swap to the 10-13 bikes. Might actually be cheaper than an injectioneering mod. 

I take it u added the 4.4??  I checked Motosport.com, It didnt look like the GYTR 9oz would fit the 12.    The Steahly is a "glue on"  that makes me nervous. LOL

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MtuSmoker

Posted September 25, 2013 - 05:55 AM

I have the Steahly on mine and I wouldnt worry about "gluing" it on. I don't think it starts any easier with it, although it makes the bike an incredible woods bike. I have been using the Marmot map lately for practice but when I race I use the woods map. That does seem to help starting when its hot, the marmot map takes a few more kicks. It sucks having to work your way through the pack during a race but once the bike is going it is hard to stall with the fww.

• WouldsAssassin

Posted September 25, 2013 - 06:48 AM

Well maybe it all comes down to our right legs and how we kick. What is it they say? YMMV

Yes I have the +4.4oz flywheel. That is the only GYTR flywheel available for the 10-13 YZ so I didn't specify the weight.

• mhebert68

Posted September 26, 2013 - 03:10 AM

I have the Steahly on mine and I wouldnt worry about "gluing" it on. I don't think it starts any easier with it, although it makes the bike an incredible woods bike. I have been using the Marmot map lately for practice but when I race I use the woods map. That does seem to help starting when its hot, the marmot map takes a few more kicks. It sucks having to work your way through the pack during a race but once the bike is going it is hard to stall with the fww.

Can u post the woods map? I have the "Jimmy Lewis" and the " Marmont" and the 4 that MXA listed. but couldnt find the woods map.

• MtuSmoker

Posted September 26, 2013 - 05:27 AM

The Woods Map that grayracer posted from here

http://www.directmot...ass-2010-yz450f

Fuel Injection (FI)
+4 +4 -3
+4 +4 -4
-3 -4 -4
Ignition (IG)
-3 -3 -3
-3 -3 -0
-3 -3 -3

• WouldsAssassin

Posted September 26, 2013 - 06:56 AM

It should be noted that the "woods map" grid is upside down in relation to the Power Tuner display. Look at it in the article, you'll see they have the 1/8th throttle setting at the top.

My opinion on the woods map is it worked to make the bike smoother, but it did so at the expense of fuel economy. They really richened it up off idle and it cut my range substantially. The flywheel does a great job of smoothing things out and doesn't effect fuel economy.

I'm currently using the "drivability" map from Yamaha. Not the most exciting, but the power is smooth and smooth is fast offroad, I like it for trail use. That map may be why my starting is easier IDK.

• mhebert68

Posted September 26, 2013 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the link and the post Mtu.

Woulds, I my 12 doesnt have the "HIT" the 10 &11 have.  Thanks for the tip on the map.

• mhebert68

Posted October 01, 2013 - 07:17 PM

Ran the woods map this weekend. I like it. It seemed 2 put the hit back in the bike right off throttle. I did stall it once, but might have been just my mistake.

• tgj88

Posted January 28, 2014 - 02:21 PM

check out the Vortex CDI (http://www.vortexcdi...neric.php?cid=1) with adjustedable fueling. This is what Paul Whibley runs on his GNCC bike. I picked one up used with his settings and dead engine starts are no longer a problem for me.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.