2014 yz450 oil? aftermarket parts?

10 replies to this topic
  • freerida69a

Posted September 20, 2013 - 07:25 AM

so it looks like ill be getting the '14 yz450, I ordered as many aftermarket/gytr parts as I could.

what aftermarket parts have you guys got or are looking at?

what are you guys using for oil for the bike?

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!

• zeuszuki

Posted September 20, 2013 - 05:07 PM

Gytr parts - maybe the airbox clips
Bling - non , I don't see that B/S when riding. Its just for posers.
Oil - what Mr Yamaha recommends or Valvoline

2 strokes " braaaaaaap"
4 strokes " faaaaaaart"

• BGoyins

Posted September 21, 2013 - 06:38 AM

Congratulations on your new bike.

I've been very happy with ASV "unbreakable" levers.

GYTR sells a Lightspeed carbon fiber skid plate that I've also been glad I purchased.

Oil.... I use Fuchs Silkolene, but at the checkout it feels like I'm getting Fuched! :goofy:

• Gunner354

Posted September 21, 2013 - 07:54 AM

so it looks like ill be getting the '14 yz450, I ordered as many aftermarket/gytr parts as I could.

what aftermarket parts have you guys got or are looking at?
what are you guys using for oil for the bike?

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!

If you want the motor to last for over 300 hrs like one of mine has, pay the money and put Redline oil in it. By far one if the best oils out there.

• SAthump

Posted September 21, 2013 - 10:50 AM

Polyol ester based

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2013 - 11:01 AM

I've run 300 plus hours on 3 different YZ450's without ever using a drop of ester based oil.  Mobil1 Racing 4T or Amsoil MCF only (both full polyalpha olefin synthetics), changed in under 8 hours, Scotts filter serviced with every oil change.

There are any number of good oils available, and it frankly doesn't make too much difference which one you use as long as it's the right viscosity (check your manual for info), is compliant with JASO MA/MA2, and is blended to resist viscosity loss when used as a transmission lubricant.

• asnyder2

Posted September 21, 2013 - 02:11 PM

+1 for mobil 1 racing 4t

• Gunner354

Posted September 21, 2013 - 08:53 PM

I've run 300 plus hours on 3 different YZ450's without ever using a drop of ester based oil. Mobil1 Racing 4T or Amsoil MCF only (both full polyalpha olefin synthetics), changed in under 8 hours, Scotts filter serviced with every oil change.

There are any number of good oils available, and it frankly doesn't make too much difference which one you use as long as it's the right viscosity (check your manual for info), is compliant with JASO MA/MA2, and is blended to resist viscosity loss when used as a transmission lubricant.

With the original piston, rings and clutch? Seems to me you stated you got that life on the bottom end but not anything else?

• grayracer513

Posted September 22, 2013 - 10:44 AM

With the original piston, rings and clutch? Seems to me you stated you got that life on the bottom end but not anything else?

My '03 was used when I got it, and because of how disagreeable the original clutch was in that model, the PO had installed a full Hinson.  I ran that bike over 300 hours myself without ever opening it up beyond the timing chain. Never even a valve adjustment.

The '06 my son had got a set of rings while I was chasing a coolant leak that turned out to have resulted from the impeller shaft, but otherwise never had anything replaced, piston included.

My current '06 was lightly used when I bought it, and has had two timing chains.  I did do a clutch plate set last year to improve the release performance of the Rekluse I installed, but the problem with that was that the plates weren't flat, not that they were worn.  Replacing the piston now while I'm working on a gear ratio change. 

So to your question, yes, pretty much the whole damn thing.

• nicky-san

Posted September 22, 2013 - 04:46 PM

Dear Gray racer, i am a little confused by your statement , I would have imagined that JASO MA specifications would cover the requirements of an oil blend resisting viscosity loss when used as as a tranny lubricant.Please kindly enlighten me as I am jumping from from Honda to Yamaha for the first time in over a decade and my bike now shares oil in both motor compartment and tranny and want my bike (yzf 450 2014) to last for the next 24 months before the normal renewal With a fresh scoot...... FWIW , I am changing my Motul 5100 every second ride , riding Mx only, and mostly sand track , which is approx a 4.5 - 5 hrs interval

in addition, I will change piston and rings this coming winter ( I have now 30 hrs on the bike) and will probably finish this season at around 45 hrs. It may seem over done but rather be safe than sorry and Canadian winter are pretty boring so reliability in the "up-moto-months" is mission critical.....so my question is how do you gauge your timing chains for a replacement? Just safety precaution or hard measurements/evidence ? If measurements or evidence , I would like to know the what and how so I understand better my Yami-- only changed my timing chain once on a YZF 400 98 and whenever I blew my crank on my crf's 450......

Thanks in advance,

dr Scrub

• 123devinzz1

Posted September 23, 2013 - 01:04 PM

250hr on my 07. Everything original even the clutch. Never had to adjust valves. Use ipone 10w40 synthetic

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.