street legal YZ?

8 replies to this topic
  • capt.270

Posted September 19, 2013 - 08:26 AM

I have a question on street legalling a YZ, I have an 03 YZ450 and I was wondering what you would need to do along the lines of exhaust to make it street legal. could I just put an end cap on that reduces the sound output? and any other tips or ways to make it street legal for cheap would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• bbohannon

Posted September 19, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Stock (or any exhaust) is street legal from what I understand.  Honestly if it were me, I would want the loudest f'n exhaust on there so cars know where I'm at

• motoxvet

Posted September 19, 2013 - 08:41 AM

Take a look at the Dual-sport/Adventure sub forum.  There is a "State by State MC Equipment" list to tell you what is required in your state.

• k.g

Posted September 19, 2013 - 08:47 AM

I would want the loudest f'n exhaust on there so cars know where I'm at

Derp. I would say the amount of harley riders that get killed every year would completely invalidate that idiotic argument.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dan2581

Posted September 19, 2013 - 09:01 AM

I had a street legal husky 610 SM with an uptite racing exhaust...thing was loud was hell, not really what I was going for, but I bought it that way. Harleys are still probably louder. (and more annoying)

• motoxvet

Posted September 19, 2013 - 09:34 AM

I had a YZ400 2t that was plated but I think it was easier then to accomplish it.  I could tell it also depended on how cooperative the DMV personnel were.  I was lucky - I got a nice, cooperative old lady.  I just showed her the MSO, a bunch of receipts for headlight, tail light, etc. and I was there.

• bbohannon

Posted September 19, 2013 - 12:08 PM

Derp. I would say the amount of harley riders that get killed every year would completely invalidate that idiotic argument.

Internet tough guy eh?  Not so sure I would go as far to say that the argument is "idiotic" but I would agree that some harley owners negate the issue.

I've owned a WR450X and put a full FMF system on it and it at least made me feel more comfortable that Grandma in her Nissan would hear me about to pass her rather than the stock baffled system.

Edited by bbohannon, September 19, 2013 - 12:09 PM.

• capt.270

Posted September 19, 2013 - 02:52 PM

i am just wondering because on the side of my muffler it says that it is for racing use only? it is the stock titanium exhaust system and it is loud, It could compete with that of most on road harley's.

• capt.270

Posted September 19, 2013 - 02:54 PM

and also would it be smarter to go with a supermoto tire or just a enduro road tire? I will be mounting them on a separate set of rims so i'm not worried about getting traction offroad, these will be strictly for onroad use only

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.