HELP!

3 replies to this topic
  • darmino

Posted December 27, 2003 - 12:23 PM

Ok here's my problem, after adjusting my valves and during
reassembly the manual states to use assembly lube on shims
buckets,cams ect. After going to my local dealer to purchase assemble lube and being told that they don't carrie assembly lube and that they use only motor oil when they adjust valves.I wanted a second opinion so I went to another dealer and they told me the same thing,I then reassembled my motor using only motor oil everywhere (cams buckets shims) the motor runs perfect but I still have "assembly lube" ringing in my ear! Can someone tell me if I made a mistake or is assembly lube only for the initial start up and then is washed away by the motor oil anyway. Cause Im about to tear down the motor to put assembly lube on the few spots they recommend just to ease my mind! Or am I being way to anal about my bike as usual.

• gfergtr74

Posted December 27, 2003 - 12:57 PM

I was a mechanic for a while and from talking with other mechanics in different fields motor oil in not usually recomended but will work as long as it is a heavy oil. Assembly lube in my oppinion is the way to go. I especially like the CRC brand with graphite.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • faggio40

Posted December 27, 2003 - 04:35 PM

Yes, I'm agree, when you assemble the engine it's correct to use a specific oil or grease, and exactly a molybdenum oil or grease. For the assembly of head-parts, yamaha in the owner's service manual reccomends a molybdenum disulfide oil.
If you don't use this kind of oil or grease when you assemble head, camshaft, crankshaft, etc., it isn't a big mistake, but it's a good caution for the seconds after start, when the engine-oil it isn't yet in all parts that have to be lube; in this few seconds moly-lube is better that engine oil. :)

Bye

• james_b

Posted December 27, 2003 - 06:37 PM

http://store.summitr...?part=MOR-35000 Summit has few lubes to choose from. Here is what i bought.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.