2012 WR external fuel pump ?

14 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 19, 2013 - 05:56 AM

I'd like a larger tank on my 2012 WR450. Larger aftermarket tanks are expensive.

Would it be possible to remove the Yamaha fuel pump from the tank and replace it with a small external fuel pump ?

The tank volume would increase because the pump wouldn't be in it anymore.

I'd mount the external fuel pump where the starter used to be. I removed mine.

The other advantage would be that I could mount a filter between the tank and the external fuel pump. I love EFI, but I am worried about filtering dirt out of the fuel.

????

• bikedude987

Posted September 19, 2013 - 06:29 AM

so you would gerry-rig an external pump to gain what?  a potentially leaky tank and 1/16th of a gallon??  how much will you actually spend on this compared to a 250$ tank?  I'd bet it will be damn close, especially if you value your time.

• woods-rider

Posted September 19, 2013 - 06:34 AM

How would you seal the massive hole left by the removed pump?

Would you make some sort of shield for the external fuel pump? I would be afraid of breaking it since it's mostly plastic and would seem vulnerable if placed where the starter goes.

I have the 3.0 gal IMS tank for my 2012 and am happy with it.

Edited by woods-rider, September 19, 2013 - 06:36 AM.

• cwallershasta

Posted September 19, 2013 - 07:09 AM

Man, I've always run desert tanks and kind of miss that extra range. The steel bottle in my pack only gives me an extra ten miles. But I can't see adding anymore wieght to this bike. Is the extra wieght really all that noticeable with a desert tank on this bike?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 19, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Dude, you either want more gas or you don't .

Put on a 3.2, pull up you panties, clean out your mangina and just ride it.

• woods-rider

Posted September 19, 2013 - 08:39 AM

Who makes a 3.2 for the 2012+? The only one I could find was the IMS 3.0.

• cwallershasta

Posted September 19, 2013 - 08:59 AM

Yeah, I want more gas, but not more wieght. You know the more you post, the more blah, blah, blah is all I read.  Thats to bad because you use to have good info, now it's just useless troll drivel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted September 19, 2013 - 09:14 AM

How can you add gas to a bike without adding weight?

• woods-rider

Posted September 19, 2013 - 09:17 AM

How can you add gas to a bike without adding weight?

You can't.

• beairmo

Posted September 19, 2013 - 02:29 PM

Not sure of the WR fuel pump but its well known that automotive fuel pumps rely on the fuel to cool the motor, which is why it is recommended to not run your tank too low. Motor gets hot and its life is reduced. If that is true for the WR, it would not be a good idea.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 19, 2013 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, I want more gas, but not more wieght. You know the more you post, the more blah, blah, blah is all I read.  Thats to bad because you use to have good info, now it's just useless troll drivel.

Troll drivel must be beyond you comprehension then.

• JDLowrance

Posted September 20, 2013 - 05:52 AM

External fuel pump? This is a bad idea. If you want more range get an IMS tank....will be cheaper in the long run.

Some wild ideas being posted lately.

• vlxjim

Posted September 20, 2013 - 08:09 AM

I would not say that it can't be done. But a larger tank would be best. If you were to go the fuel pump way. You would need to find a inline fuel pump. The fact that you pulled your battery you would need to find one that would work with what you have left. This would be AC or dirty DC thats all over the place. Next you would need to find out what the fuel pressure to the injector is. This is very important as this can retune your motor in it self. So you would need an adjustable pressure regulator.  Think of it this way every time the injector opens it put out so much fuel. As you open the throttle the time the injector is open becomes longer. But also for that given amount of time that this injector is open the higher the pressure the more fuel that is sprayed for that given time. So given the variables that you would need to deal with a larger tank would be best.

• moto2000

Posted September 21, 2013 - 09:35 AM

Not sure how the WR fuel system is layed out, but the fuel regulator is usually with the pump in the fuel tank. 

If the system requires 43psi for example, the fuel pump will put out 80 psi, but is regulated down to 43.....so the excess fuel will have to be returned to the tank with a separate line.

A bigger tank would be a cleaner, easier option.  And a lot less chance of fuel leaks.

Edited by moto2000, September 21, 2013 - 09:38 AM.

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted September 21, 2013 - 06:25 PM

When I go for long rides I carry 2 16oz msr bottles. (~$20 each). I carry them in the side pouches of my camel pack backpack. 20 min into the ride I can just dump them into the tank. That will give you more gas then removing the pump. Using an after market pump would have to be a high pressure pump I believe and that would be costly.

FYI, I am just returning from my Utah trip and I went 100 miles on the ims tank and the low light still didn't come on. On next fill up I will know how much fuel that was exactly.

Doug

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.