4 strokes are driving me crazy!

26 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2013 - 08:02 AM

Get a manual. There's no replacement for one.

Spending 50 bucks on one [...}

...is completely unnecessary:

http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• cory151

Posted December 10, 2013 - 10:37 PM

I am a bigger guy to begin with and I couldn't care less what other people ride, really. When I realized that the latest yz250 lays down 47 hp and the latests yz450f lays down  59 hp with torque everywhere, it became an easy decision ( I test rode both at Pala).  4 stroke tech continues to progress and on both fuel injected bikes Ive owned Ive never even changed a plug, just fresh oil/ filter every 3 hours and rinse it off after every ride.  Lastly, 12hp is such huge and noticeable difference on an MX bike, that riding these two bikes back to back really drove that home for me.

Edited by cory151, December 10, 2013 - 10:40 PM.

• Brandon B

Posted December 11, 2013 - 03:18 AM

I am a bigger guy to begin with and I couldn't care less what other people ride, really. When I realized that the latest yz250 lays down 47 hp and the latests yz450f lays down 59 hp with torque everywhere, it became an easy decision ( I test rode both at Pala). 4 stroke tech continues to progress and on both fuel injected bikes Ive owned Ive never even changed a plug, just fresh oil/ filter every 3 hours and rinse it off after every ride. Lastly, 12hp is such huge and noticeable difference on an MX bike, that riding these two bikes back to back really drove that home for me.

Changing your plugs once in a while makes a huge and noticeable difference too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cory151

Posted December 11, 2013 - 06:16 AM

Changing your plugs once in a while makes a huge and noticeable difference too.

I respectfully disagree, todays fuel injected bikes run so extremely lean (with CDI ignitions) to begin with that there is virtually no buildup.  For example, if you and I are standing in a room full of gasoline mist/fumes, will it matter if I make the room explode with an old lighter or a new one?

The only difference would be if your plug somehow got fouled, but again, Ive never seen a fouled plug an a EFI bike. 

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2013 - 07:34 AM

Even when they appear clean, spark plugs in engines that are run really hard much of the time can develop a conductive glaze on the insulator.  This, however, shows up as a misfire under power once it reaches problematic levels, and that's hard not to notice in a single.  As long as it's not missing, the plug's OK, and I run mine for more than a year most of the time before it occurs to me that I should replace it. 

OTOH, if using conventional plugs, hard starting and low speed fouling do occur to an increasing degree as the plug electrode wears from a clean-cut cylindrical shape to a more rounded form.  Iridium and other precious metal plugs are much less subject to that.

• -Biggins-

Posted December 11, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Lmfao hahaha ! Brandon B, that is so tru haha. Its like watching a video of a 14yr old trying to tell u how to wheelie or some shit like that.

well, Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has some great videos. One specific to my bike also. It is very informational, but yes. Most kids that go to my school that ride dirtbikes have no clue what their talking about. one kid I know he has a crf250r he bought used from a guy, put an hour meter on it, changed the oil, and rode it for 50 hrs without touching the damn thing. I told him I would help him check the valves, they were fine! Put some rotella in it, going for another 50 hours! Amazing that this kids daddy hasn't had to take it to the shop. It makes me wonder sometimes if I should be doing all this work to my bike at my own expense.

• -Biggins-

Posted December 11, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Got the 450 as a project, for 250$, everything was there. Put 900$ into it, runs great.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.