4 strokes are driving me crazy!

26 replies to this topic
  • ShsFunny

Posted September 18, 2013 - 05:27 AM

Im working on a 98 YZ 400 and I gotta tell ya......It seems like I fix one thing and 5 more things go wrong.......CAMS, timing chain, tensioner, the list goes on and on.........I miss my two strokes!!!  :banghead:  Thank you for letting me rant a bit.

• dr11

Posted September 18, 2013 - 05:31 AM

Im working on a 98 YZ 400 and I gotta tell ya......It seems like I fix one thing and 5 more things go wrong.......CAMS, timing chain, tensioner, the list goes on and on.........I miss my two strokes!!! :banghead: Thank you for letting me rant a bit.

And thats why you dont buy a 15yr old one.

• dan2581

Posted September 18, 2013 - 05:33 AM

Took me a few weeks of ownership to realize i'm just better off riding two strokes. Would be totally different if my stupid money tree would start producing finally.

• MotoAddict94

Posted September 18, 2013 - 05:36 AM

Same! Putting my 13 rmz250 in the corner of the shed now and only riding my yz250 so much fun! Should of bought a 2 stroke years ago!!

• smez

Posted September 18, 2013 - 05:41 AM

here we go again..................................... :lol:  :thumbsup:

• WWalker

Posted September 18, 2013 - 06:01 AM

It's only been about .5 days since a thread like this has been started.....what took so long?!?

• Virginia_Remington

Posted September 18, 2013 - 06:05 AM

here we go again..................................... :lol:  :thumbsup:

Totally right

• OkieTwister

Posted September 18, 2013 - 06:33 AM

It's only been about .5 days since a thread like this has been started.....what took so long?!?

another 4stroke had to quit running.... :goofy:

Edited by OkieTwister, September 18, 2013 - 06:33 AM.

• MrEnduro96

Posted September 18, 2013 - 06:52 AM

Four strokes have a unique riding experience that you just don't get in a two stroke. If you take care of your thumper it will run forever, its just a matter if how you treat it.

• smez

Posted September 18, 2013 - 07:00 AM

:snore:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted September 18, 2013 - 08:41 AM

My 4 stroke runs fine and gives me no issues but every time I work on one of my 2 strokes, I find another problem.  Stripped this, broken that, stuck this.  I bought my 4 stroke new and have maintained it impeccably and got both my 2 strokes used... who'd a thunk it?

• ShsFunny

Posted September 18, 2013 - 05:05 PM

I wasn't trying to start a this vs that war... I love the bike! It's just maintenance hell!!! 2 strokes are just SO MUCH freakin easier to get back to running. I apologize if the thread hit a nerve with some folks. I just needed to vent my frustration. That bike is driving me insane. I had no mal intent.

• Yzflier977

Posted September 18, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Had a yz250 for 12 years and now am a year into owning a 450. Gotta say I loved my 2 stroke, but I love my 4 stroke BETTER. I will say that both bikes, hell all bikes, have their issues. But the positives on the 4 stroke outweigh the maintenance issues for me at least.

• smez

Posted September 18, 2013 - 10:10 PM

I wasn't trying to start a this vs that war... I love the bike! It's just maintenance hell!!! 2 strokes are just SO MUCH freakin easier to get back to running. I apologize if the thread hit a nerve with some folks. I just needed to vent my frustration. That bike is driving me insane. I had no mal intent.

i was only kidding  :thumbsup:

• superretard

Posted September 19, 2013 - 05:41 PM

2S or 4S, if you don't stay on top of the maintnace it's gonna give you problems.

• riderdietryin85

Posted December 08, 2013 - 05:51 PM

I have now rebuilt both from the ground up neither bike was cheep.. i built a 250r trike in the 90s and just built a 2003 yz450 I didn't like all the parts in the 450 but love riding it and will rebuild this bike as many times as needed as long as it doesn't blow in 300 hrs.. all i do is trail ride in the woods and the smooth power is so much more usable then the zing of a smoker for me. oil is the deciding factor in both bikes lives .. 250yz strait gas go boom yz 450 one oil change in 150 hrs motor go boom ..my bottom line plugs and oil are cheeper for the smoker then a rebuild .. Rotella 15w40 tried and true Dino oil is 15 a gallon alot cheeper then stroker rebuild ..and mine only uses 1000ml

• -Biggins-

Posted December 08, 2013 - 08:15 PM

And thats why you dont buy a 15yr old one.

hey hey now, I'm 15 and I'm currently putting a new top end, timing chain, and adjusting the valves in my 2003 YZ450f right now. And no, my dad has no interest in dirtbikes so YouTube is teaching me how to do it all.

• dr11

Posted December 08, 2013 - 09:18 PM

hey hey now, I'm 15 and I'm currently putting a new top end, timing chain, and adjusting the valves in my 2003 YZ450f right now. And no, my dad has no interest in dirtbikes so YouTube is teaching me how to do it all.

I was just saying if hes going to start with a wore out bike, dont complain that its wore out. Its great that you enjoy working on bikes, it will save a lot of money.

• Brandon B

Posted December 08, 2013 - 09:38 PM

YouTube is NOT the place to learn how to rebuild a motor. It might be useful as a reference but that is about it.

Get a manual. There's no replacement for one.

Spending 50 bucks on one will save you time in the long run by not having to ask questions on the internet and get 15 different answers and useless suggestions or having to watch shaky videos of some mouth breather showing you the spot where the pointy things on the motor gear go.

• IntoTheVoid

Posted December 09, 2013 - 07:11 AM

Lmfao hahaha ! Brandon B, that is so tru haha. Its like watching a video of a 14yr old trying to tell u how to wheelie or some shit like that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.