Fork seal leak

3 replies to this topic
  • luvmythumper

Posted December 17, 2001 - 01:13 PM

I did a tear down and cleaning of my forks a few weeks ago. I have 3 rides on them and the left seal developed a leak. I dislodged the debree with some film and the leak stopped. My question: Do I need to change the oil again. If not, I know I at least have to put more fork oil in. Can I just put more in the top and compare it to the other fork? I am assuming I can't, because I won't be able to move the fork through its enire range and remove the air in the lower part of the fork. If thats the case, I guess I just remove the fork and springs and go through the normal routine? Right?

• BK14MX

Posted December 17, 2001 - 04:27 PM

I don't change the oil after fixing a leak, but you will need to get an accurate measurement with the forks fully compressed, and the springs removed. Both sides need to be set the same, check your manual for low and high measurements. I would suggest never to dump an unmeasured amount of fluid in the forks, being 10mm of on either side can drastically change their performance. Hope that helps!! Put a little lithium based grease behind the dust wiper, this will grab any unwanted particles and helps with stiction as a huge plus.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dave_S

Posted December 17, 2001 - 07:20 PM

I had what I thought was a pretty bad leak a couple of weeks ago and was able to cure the leak with a business card. I was I had lost a lot of fluid because it had made such a mess so I opened them up to refill. I could barely notice the difference. Maybe a few mm but not much at all.

Unless you had the bike tied down in the truck and there was a big puddle or you a just anal about stuff like that I'd guess you are fine till the next regular teardown.

Dave S

• MX_Tuner

Posted December 18, 2001 - 02:10 AM

My thoughts exactly. One cc of oil can spread out to look like a lot of oil. But unless it has been leaking significantly for a few days of riding, your level won't be down much at all. I wouldn't worry about it unless you can feel a difference in the suspension. But, hey, that's just what *I* would do.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.