how fast can a honda xr650l go ?

• 4 months later...

I waited until I had 2000KMs on my 2014 XR650L before I checked out the top end. After my fresh oil change (third one),I went for a ride with my buddy with his 2013 CRF250L. On a flat straight paved road (we took a big chance) and ran them full out. He topped out at 80mph and told me that's all he ever got out of it. I pasted him and got 155kms in fourth, it wasn't fully reved out, just powered out, I then shifted into 5th and the speed dropped to a steady 150kms. It didn't have the power to hold it. In first to third it will rev higher then fourth and fifth and a flat road. Going down hill it will go faster in fifth, and it feels firm at that speed even on gravel. I've done the air box and pollution removal mods since then and did notice more power and bottom end torque. But haven't run it full out and probably wont, cause in Ontario Canada that will end you up with the bike impounded, suspended driver's licence for along time, jail time and thousands of $$ in fines. It was fun at the time, and now I know whats B.S. I am thinking of gearing it down to take advantage of the lack of higher RPMs in 5th and make 2nd more usable in tight trails, any ideas on rear sprocket size. Also looking forward to Dave's carb mod.

I took mine to 94-95mph on a cool winter day and I weigh 285. I put a jet kit in and now it falls on it's face above 55. Well, not really but studders bad like there's suddenly no spark though I know it's the carb. I don't know if it's leaning out or too rich but I think leaning out is the cause. I put the c-clip on the needle in the recommended position. I have also learned that at highway speeds while leaning way back like Im riding a hog greatly reduces wind drag even greater than leaning forward and face low.

Edited by Texasvortex

so they say a stock Honda xr650l will go 110 mph...what I want to know is how fast can it go if you mod the shit out of it ?

Maybe as fast as this KLR:

image013.jpg

DPP_0094.JPG

Modified, 115+ from standing start in one mile ...

But, probably not ? ...

ACE

I am in the +100 MPH club but not by much. The steering geometry is not the greatest for high speed stability.

Stop light to stop light it gets there fast but not much more on top of 100 mph.

• 2 months later...

Dead is dead. At 90mph, an impact with something like a wild boar, bear, cow or tree is almost guaranteed death. 911 is the wrong number to call. 90mph on the interstate is boring, add some wildlife and trees whizzing by then see if the rider wants more.

I've ridden with fast riders, I know what fast is and most riders aren't even close.

Got ejected from my cbr1000 at about 100mph n took a fire hydrant to my pelvis still here n racing riding onederer . the human body can withstand much more than ppl think...n 136 possible on an r not an l my xrr has power up hop up 15-48 pipe filter n few things n does about 120 but that's pacing a car not GPS so not sure how accurate that is

• 1 year later...

I had mine hit 109 on a cloudy, damp day in the upper thirties. I have fmf powerbomb, dgv2 silencer, Daves mods, desnorkel/desmog with a uni filter. Top speed on mine is usually 92 to 97mph. That's by the speedo mind you. The jetting was 55pj, 158mj, dynojet needle on center clip. I recently went to 58pj, 160mj, with stock shimmer needle. It don't seem to run as good. But the plug was white before.

My bike is also geared stock. 45 rear and not sure about the front.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I had a1985 xr350, of coarse it was a 6 speed so changing the gearing by adding 2 teeth on the front sprocket and removing 5 on the back sprocket it went over 110mph on the railroad lakebed. it still had plenty of power in the low gears. I wish they still geared bikes like the 80s. It wouldnt suprise me if the 650 would break 120 with just changing spockets.

• 3 months later...