Dual Sport as a first bike for a big guy?

32 replies to this topic
  • wdfwguy

Posted September 13, 2013 - 09:14 AM

I just finished a MSF/BRC and I'm considering a dual sport for my first bike.  I'd probably be just running errands around town, doing some trail riding, and maybe an occasional camping trip.  Probably not riding at freeway speeds much.  Mostly light trails and putting around town, working on my non-existent motorcycle skills.

I should also mention that I'm in my 40's, have a some street riding experience in the distant past (zero dirt riding exp), 6'5" (34" inseam) and 270 pounds.  Don't want to spend more than about $5K.

Any suggestions?

• Sam Merrell

Posted September 13, 2013 - 11:15 AM

DR 650,  XR 650L,  KLR 650.  All can be had in very good shape or almost new for 5000 and money left for gear.  Have fun

• lucas302

Posted September 13, 2013 - 11:19 AM

Sounds to me that a DRZ S would be a great choice for the type of riding you are planning. I have a friend who is similar in stature to you and he claims to be comfortable on his '06 WR450F. I would suggest going down to your local dealer and sitting on a few bikes so you can get a feel for how you fit.

• MindBlower

Posted September 13, 2013 - 11:56 AM

+1 what Sam said.  You need a big bike to fit you.  And motor to haul you, but less so than the frame size, seat height. 

• DragonNester

Posted September 14, 2013 - 10:22 AM

What Sam said, with the KLR being the best fit... money, physical size and owner online networking.

Check out the world of KLR by going here and seeing for yourself:

http://www.klrworld.com/

Edited by DragonNester, September 15, 2013 - 05:39 AM.

• ZMagic97

Posted September 14, 2013 - 10:29 AM

I'd say the DR650 or the DRZ400. My father and I are bigger guys and love the DRZ400. They're easy to find here over a 650. I think you would like either. 

• shrubitup

Posted September 14, 2013 - 11:30 AM

a DR650 won't fit a 6'5" tall person comfortably. I'd buy a used 650L. Easy to re-sell. However, the KLR is more versatile but shines less everywhere. It's a dull swiss army knife. :busted:

• wdfwguy

Posted September 14, 2013 - 04:16 PM

I was actually kicking around something like a DR-Z400

Is the KLR really something you'd do a lot of trail riding with?

• shrubitup

Posted September 14, 2013 - 04:55 PM

I was actually kicking around something like a DR-Z400

Is the KLR really something you'd do a lot of trail riding with?

No, KLR is not usually chosen for trail riding. It does it but most find it heavy and lethargic power wise. It's a fairly good compromise bike though. Does it all - though nothing well and that's what you're going to find in this price range. 

• MindBlower

Posted September 14, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Any of these bikes can be dramatically better with suspension tuning as dollars allow. Including off road.

DRZ400's are very tall. Better offroad than the big bores. 

Edited by MindBlower, September 14, 2013 - 08:34 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NEKOOHC

Posted September 15, 2013 - 05:58 AM

DRZ 400 also have many options / mods available

• Sam Merrell

Posted September 16, 2013 - 04:10 AM

yes a DRZ is also a very good choice.  Has just as much power as the 650 and better off road.

• Signman606

Posted September 16, 2013 - 11:00 AM

yes a DRZ is also a very good choice.  Has just as much power as the 650 and better off road.

I agree, plus you can increase the power with a multitude of mod offerings.....it's been around in the same configuration for a dozen or so yrs.....

• wdfwguy

Posted September 16, 2013 - 11:19 AM

That's sort of why I'm considering the DRZ.  I'm wanting something to goof around on trails and an occasional trip around town.  

What sort of suspension or other options are there to make a DRZ a better fit for my size?

• weantright

Posted September 16, 2013 - 12:10 PM

DR 650,  XR 650L,  KLR 650.  All can be had in very good shape or almost new for 5000 and money left for gear.  Have fun

I have ridden all these bikes and they are not fun on the trail and I am experience. There are far better big bore bikes out there if they can be found nearby WDFWGUY. If you trust what shops say, buy from another state and have the bike shipped. More trail the more you will want the bikes listed below!

KTM525,

Husqvarna TE450/449, TE450/449, might be able to find new at your price limit.

Beta RS520, 450, 400 http://www.americanbeta.com/node/1697

WR250R, Yes it will haul you and have great resale.

DRZ400

If you can plate an off road bike,

WR450

KLX450r

Edited by weantright, September 16, 2013 - 12:11 PM.

• wdfwguy

Posted September 16, 2013 - 05:23 PM

WR250R, Yes it will haul you and have great resale.

I wouldn't have even considered this one at my size.  Hmmm

• shrubitup

Posted September 16, 2013 - 05:55 PM

I wouldn't have even considered this one at my size.  Hmmm

I am 6'2"/250. This is a small bike for big men. 

• weantright

Posted September 17, 2013 - 04:17 AM

Size wise is no different than any other bike. Stock bike is lacking but with a gear change it comes to life. Then add the free mods, JD tuner and an exhaust it works much better. I have a buddy that is just under 6' and 240-260 lbs and the bike carries him anywhere his skill takes him. As a beginner this bike is inexpensive, durable, has a long life and likes off road much better than any 650's or the DRZ. On road even with the gear change he still able to run 70mph and gets 65 mpg. It's no HS/GNCC racer and has less torque than any bike listed above but that a good thing for a newbie!

Edited by weantright, September 17, 2013 - 04:18 AM.

• DragonNester

Posted September 17, 2013 - 09:06 AM

There are differences in size that make a great difference in how the bike will act with with folks of different sizes behind the bars. It's not just the supension, height, ground clearance, diameter of the wheels etc...it's also the wheel base and the KLR is 2.4" longer than the wrr. With the size of the OP I think you'd be all over the front wheel at the wrong times running a 250 class bike. It would be the Monkey f*#king a football scenario.

• weantright

Posted September 17, 2013 - 09:43 AM

Or he can fight the extra 50-60lbs bouncing the trail with the spongy suspension. Longer is not always better, road maybe but not off road. Add in most of the extra weight is on the handlebars (feel wise). Best thing for him is to sit on them and feel the egos. The wheelbase issue can be adjusted to feel the same with little knowledge of how he want it to react. It easy since he is a beginner not hitting 50' gaps. It is far easier to get the WR to feel like the KLR off road then the other way. OP's money, he can not have a great bike for both types of riding but he can have a good all around one.

Yep those 250 class bikes don't fit big riders! 6'4" 210lbs.

Edited by weantright, September 17, 2013 - 09:44 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.