My WR450 25 pound trim off...

Yamaha WR450F

434 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted May 24, 2014 - 07:02 AM

I think i may have been caught up in some kind of parallel reverse universe in my dirt biking attempts at utopia, i bought a road registered [street legal] yz450f 2007 and have gradually turned it into a wr from the other side of the mirror, the cost and time spent are on a par with your endeavors, if we carry on in our quest I fear our machines may have reached a point where we may be able to call them a doppelganger or sorts!

Its very funny you say this because I've been having a PM conversation with a guy who has a WR and finds it too heavy.  He rode a woods equipped YZ and really likes it.  He is thinking of buying it.  He weighed the YZ and found it to be 255 pounds with its smaller tank full of fuel.  My WR weighs about 252 pounds full of fuel with the larger WR tank.  The YZ has a steering dampener and a few other things my WR doesn't have. 

But it shows the point that the WR can certainly be made into a competitive mount with just a bit of work. 

FYI, the 2009 YZ450F weighs 228 pounds with no fuel in the tank, with no woods equipment.

For those that say they can't live without the eStart, I urge them to consider a Rekluse clutch.   With it you would almost surely never need the eStart at all.  And the EXP 2.0 system is supposed to be a bit lighter than the stock WR clutch setup due to a lighter clutch basket.  I'm not totally sold on the need for a Rekluse clutch, but if you gave me the choice of eStart, manual clutch and 15 pounds heavier or Rekluse, no eStart and 15 pounds lighter, I'd take the later any day.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, May 24, 2014 - 07:05 AM.

• Navaho6

Posted June 20, 2014 - 05:33 PM

I'm the guy with the YZ.  The '13 WR with radiator braces, steering damper, bark busters, FMF muffler, Pirelli tires, Shorai battery, no speedo, no headlight, no tail light, full tank of gas weighed in at 271 lbs.

2009 YZ450F woods bike that I bought and set up the same as the WR (radiator guards, steering damper, bark busters, FMF, same Pirelli tires, 18" rear wheel,  big PMB kickstand, O-ring chain, and full tank of gas) weighed in at 248 lbs.  23 lbs lighter than the WR.  Originally it was 255 but I took off the things that the previous owner had weighed it down. 

The weight of the starter, starter gears, extra gas, and the Shorai battery have to be deducted from the WR to make it an equal comparison.  What does that add up too?  Extra weight of FI system you'll have to live with. 

I rode both bikes back to back.  The 23 lb difference is HUGE!!  But another big factor is the YZ suspension that was set up by Factory Connection for woods riding.  It's amazing!!  It is more supportive than the oem WR set up but also more plush over the little bumps.  Thoroughly impressed with their work!! 

In all honesty, the WR is a better steering bike than the '09 but the extra weight hurts it's performance so drastically when you start hitting whoops in 3rd gear.  Get the WR down to 253 with all the same gear that is on my YZ and equal amount of gas AND rework the suspension to be as capable as the set up I have on the YZ, and it would be a contender.  Of course, you'll have to kick start it, just like the YZ.  

Edited by Navaho6, June 20, 2014 - 06:31 PM.

• Navaho6

Posted June 20, 2014 - 05:37 PM

One thing you'll never be able to do is get the WR clutch pull to be as light as the YZ.  There is no comparison.  Autoclutch may be a solution for some but I don't like them.  I prefer a manual clutch so the YZ has the advantage.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted June 20, 2014 - 09:26 PM

One thing you'll never be able to do is get the WR clutch pull to be as light as the YZ.  There is no comparison.  Autoclutch may be a solution for some but I don't like them.  I prefer a manual clutch so the YZ has the advantage.

You make a good point here.   I don't understand why the YZ would have a lighter pull though.  The WR uses the same basic engine.   I have noticed that the YZ linkage is set up differently though.   Could one modify the WR linkage ?

I replaced the stock clutch setup with a Magura hydraulic unit.   It works well.  Its finicky to set up, but once you do, it works well.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted June 20, 2014 - 09:29 PM

I rode both bikes back to back.  The 23 lb difference is HUGE!!  But another big factor is the YZ suspension that was set up by Factory Connection for woods riding.  It's amazing!!  It is more supportive than the oem WR set up but also more plush over the little bumps.  Thoroughly impressed with their work!!

Please tell me more about this suspension.   Does the YZ use an SSS fork ?   Did FC share any setting numbers ?  spring rate, fork oil level, etc.

• Navaho6

Posted June 21, 2014 - 05:23 PM

Yes, the YZ uses SSS forks.  There may be some minor differences between the two.  Not sure.  FC can tell you.  The set up I have is the "Kelly Crenshaw" valving, done in their Muskogee, OK shop for my friend, Chris Blanco, the guy I bought the bike from.  It is the best suspension I've ridden.

You could also ask them about the Jed Haines set-up since he won the AMA harescrambles East championship on a '13 WR450F last year.

• Navaho6

Posted June 21, 2014 - 05:26 PM

You make a good point here.   I don't understand why the YZ would have a lighter pull though.  The WR uses the same basic engine.   I have noticed that the YZ linkage is set up differently though.   Could one modify the WR linkage ?

I replaced the stock clutch setup with a Magura hydraulic unit.   It works well.  Its finicky to set up, but once you do, it works well.

I know one thing, an ASV clutch lever (the best one they sell) makes a big difference on the WR.

• MikeID

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:08 PM

I've had a couple WR's, quite a few 250 2Ts, even a 620 RXC, and now on a 250X. For me 250 lbs wet is the magic number. At that weight or lower, and can ride it the places I like to go. Get up there around 270, with the mass up high, and I can, but it's quite a bit more effort for me to do so.

• RockerYZWR

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:54 PM

My WR is stock plus heavy Mohard guards, and Cycra ProBends and Flexx bars. Easily pushing over 270 I imagine. I rode a buddy's YZ450 as well as a KX450 and it is just easier to do everything on. I'm now seriously considering doing a weight loss project on the WR, with this thread as my guide, or finding a YZ or possibly KX to build up for offroad. I'd probably still keep the WR since it's street legal, even though I took all that stuff off and hardly ever ride on the street. But it's nice to have the option.

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2014 - 01:24 PM

I don't understand why the YZ would have a lighter pull though.  The WR uses the same basic engine.  

Cable routing is more direct on the YZ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bradgross71

Posted June 29, 2014 - 11:28 AM

Couple questions. When I power up my bike (13 wr450) it sounds like the fuel pump cycles. What is it doing? If I remove my battery than what? Is this cycle not necessary? Also how do you use the tuner without the battery in the bike?

Edited by bradgross71, June 29, 2014 - 12:24 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted June 29, 2014 - 09:15 PM

Couple questions. When I power up my bike (13 wr450) it sounds like the fuel pump cycles. What is it doing? If I remove my battery than what? Is this cycle not necessary? Also how do you use the tuner without the battery in the bike?

The fuel pump does cycle when you turn in on.   Somehow when you remove the battery, these bikes still start.

There are a couple ways to use the tuner without having a battery installed in the bike.   I want to restest a few things before I comment.further on that.

• DunmireD001

Posted June 30, 2014 - 12:36 AM

Buy a 250 if you're "that" worried about trimming weight... a 450 was built to do 45-50mph on the reg, easily, (mx speeds). A 250 runs slower with less heat, and less power, not to mention it's lighter.... There are 2 major reasons for weight reduction. either you're looking to drag race the bike, or you're looking to ride it in the woods, either way weight isn't the issue. It's technique. Especially in the woods, A 300cc 2 stroke is king. You don't need a 450 in thick trails. That's how you wind up face first into a tree.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted June 30, 2014 - 07:05 AM

Buy a 250 if you're "that" worried about trimming weight... a 450 was built to do 45-50mph on the reg, easily, (mx speeds). A 250 runs slower with less heat, and less power, not to mention it's lighter.... There are 2 major reasons for weight reduction. either you're looking to drag race the bike, or you're looking to ride it in the woods, either way weight isn't the issue. It's technique. Especially in the woods, A 300cc 2 stroke is king. You don't need a 450 in thick trails. That's how you wind up face first into a tree.

I guess those GNCC guys using 450s have got it all wrong.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, June 30, 2014 - 08:25 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 30, 2014 - 07:17 AM

I always love the 'you don't need' argument in motorcycle equipment discussions.

I NEED a stage-3 port and polished head, Dubach exahust, YZ cams, YZ carb,  and full suspension tuning.  That's why I have it.

• Lumberjack450

Posted June 30, 2014 - 04:38 PM

The fuel pump does cycle when you turn in on.   Somehow when you remove the battery, these bikes still start.

There are a couple ways to use the tuner without having a battery installed in the bike.   I want to restest a few things before I comment.further on that.

I just went and tried with my bike that currently does not have a battery. simply kicking the bike over did not build up enough power to light up the programmer. Starting it with the programmer plugged in did, then I killed the motor, and the programmer stayed on. 

• bradgross71

Posted June 30, 2014 - 05:55 PM

Thanks lumberjack

• Navaho6

Posted June 30, 2014 - 07:45 PM

.....either way weight isn't the issue. It's technique. Especially in the woods, A 300cc 2 stroke is king. You don't need a 450 in thick trails. That's how you wind up face first into a tree.

I had a 300 and it was a beast compared to the 450.  Got myself in a lot more hurt with the 300 because of the explosive hit.  The WR was much more manageable.  And weight makes a big difference, as does technique.  A lighter bike is a faster bike in the same hands.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted July 01, 2014 - 11:00 AM

I just went and tried with my bike that currently does not have a battery. simply kicking the bike over did not build up enough power to light up the programmer. Starting it with the programmer plugged in did, then I killed the motor, and the programmer stayed on. 

Were you able to program yours then ?  I can view RPM and such this way, but I haven't been able to program it.

• RockerYZWR

Posted July 01, 2014 - 07:44 PM

Kind of off-topic here, but I went with a 45 lb trim off...I bought an '11 YZ250 2-stroke last night!! In good shape, low hours, lots of expensive aftermarket stuff.

Now, what to do with the WR...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

WR450F Supermoto, Old vs New? by MtnDrew

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

The Teanaway is no BS! by Nuklhed

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

• Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies
Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

• 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.