My WR450 25 pound trim off...

Yamaha WR450F

434 replies to this topic
  • woods-rider

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Im new here to TT and was just reading through these forums and came across this one and had to ask I have a 2014 wr450 and have put every protective things I can works skid,sharkfin,caliper guard and radiator braces so I know it's heavy but all my riding buddies are all on cr250 and yz250 nice and light all have been riding 10+ yrs and the WR eats them up 78 through 3 ft whoops to hill climbs the only reason for me wanting to ride a lighter bike it when I go to ocotillo for some time in the air so if your jumping I understand needing a light bike but on a WR why

It's called a period. It's by the lower right corner of the "L" key. Try using it sometime and people may actually comprehend what you are trying to say.

• Jonesy11

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:23 AM

Ok. Sorry not the best at punctuation. Maybe you can teach me about it and then I can teach you to ride so your not in your garage drilling holes in shit. And try to make excuses why you suck and bikes too heavy

• InspireMX

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:30 AM

i'm not sure if I missed something, but why not just buy a race dirt bike? They are already lighter??

• Navaho6

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:31 AM

Sounds like you are a better rider than your buddies.  It's the rider, not the bike.

A lighter bike responds quicker to rider input and takes less energy to manuever.  Out in the open, it is less of a factor.  On tight trails and on jumps, a lighter bike helps a lot.  But most importantly to me is the fun factor.  A lighter bike is just feels more agile, and I like that more than the sluggish feel of a heavy bike.  I've been able to take over 9 lbs off my WR and retain the electric start.

Edited by Navaho6, December 20, 2013 - 10:31 AM.

• Navaho6

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:44 AM

i'm not sure if I missed something, but why not just buy a race dirt bike? They are already lighter??

The mx gearing is not ideal for tight trails.  It's useable but not as versatile as the wide ratio tranny on the WR. 

MX suspension is too harsh in rocks and roots.  It can be fixed of course.  More $ to spend.  

Many people want electric start, including me.  Only the KTM has it but this is a discussion on Yamaha here. 

Some people also want lighting.  You don't get that on a motocross bike unless you spend more $ on aftermarket.  

Some people prefer an 18" rear wheel for a more plush ride in rocks and roots. MX comes with a 19" rear. 

The WR can be converted to MX or used a trail bike or dual sport.  Overall, just a more versatile bike, and not quite as high-strung as an mx bike.

• InspireMX

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:49 AM

The mx gearing is not ideal for tight trails.  It's useable but not as versatile as the wide ratio tranny on the WR. 

MX suspension is too harsh in rocks and roots.  It can be fixed of course.  More $ to spend.  

Many people want electric start, including me.  Only the KTM has it but this is a discussion on Yamaha here. 

Some people also want lighting.  You don't get that on a motocross bike unless you spend more $ on aftermarket.  

Some people prefer an 18" rear wheel for a more plush ride in rocks and roots. MX comes with a 19" rear. 

The WR can be converted to MX or used a trail bike or dual sport.  Overall, just a more versatile bike, and not quite as high-strung as an mx bike.

ok, got it.

• Jonesy11

Posted December 20, 2013 - 11:09 AM

I just sold my 02 cr 250 to buy the 14WR450 and I do single track to a place called devils hole and this bike heavier feels much more nimble. Sorry better use correct punctuation or someone may get upset. I honestly think its 98% rider

• woods-rider

Posted December 20, 2013 - 11:11 AM

Ok. Sorry not the best at punctuation. Maybe you can teach me about it and then I can teach you to ride so your not in your garage drilling holes in shit. And try to make excuses why you suck and bikes too heavy

I don't do shit to lighten my bike. You could put a 10lb lead weight in my air box and I wouldn't know it was there until I went to clean the filter. I'm sure some people can feel small changes in weight, but I am not one of them.

• RockerYZWR

Posted December 20, 2013 - 12:52 PM

I think I'd notice if I rode my bike back to back with a 25 lb lighter version of my bike and I have no doubts it would be better - until I wanted to use the kickstand, electric start, or got caught out after dark and needed the light. Since most people likely don't race their WRs, I don't see the point in going to extremes of effort or expense to make it lighter. But then in the case of the OP - obviously it's his bike, he can do whatever he wants with it, and he was really just after the project of seeing how light he could get it, fully aware of the many cheaper and easier options to get a lightweight offroad bike. It's just a project. I adjust my riding style for the heavier bike and stay in shape. I'd rather lose 10 lbs off my body than my bike (unless I was going to race it). But that wasn't the OP's intent.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 20, 2013 - 02:25 PM

I can tell the difference between a full tank and a 1/2 tank no problem.

Pipes, Tires, tubes, exess hoses, brackets etc are all logical weight savings to me, because you are going to change them all anyway.

But pulling the estart and replacing parts merely for weight savings, to me, is a waste.

I'd rather save all that money for top level maintenance and the next bike (or a second / third bike)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RockerYZWR

Posted December 20, 2013 - 03:52 PM

Pipes, Tires, tubes, exess hoses, brackets etc are all logical weight savings to me, because you are going to change them all anyway.
But pulling the estart and replacing parts merely for weight savings, to me, is a waste.
I'd rather save all that money for top level maintenance and the next bike (or a second / third bike)

My thoughts exactly. However, I can see the interest of lightening the bike for the challenge of the project alone, in which case the argument of whether it makes sense or not really isn't in play. And if that's the case, I think he should go all in with titanium and magnesium fasteners and parts and all the lightening tricks beyond just removing stuff.

But then I would ask if you aren't trimming yourself down and wearing the lightest weight gear and so forth, what's the point? Oh yeah...the challenge of the project. But seriously, one brand of boots versus another, or a big breakfast that day for that matter, could easily offset the benefits of a decent amount of work or expense.

But again, it's whatever people want to do with their own time and money. That's why it's amusing sometimes to see people getting bent out of shape over something like this.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 20, 2013 - 09:50 PM

My thoughts exactly. However, I can see the interest of lightening the bike for the challenge of the project alone, in which case the argument of whether it makes sense or not really isn't in play. 

Yes.

My last 450X rebuild involved weighing a good 4 dozen parts or so, and trying to find non-exotic replacements for all of them.

I removed 16lbs from the bike without removing any functions, removing a total of 21 lbs off the stock bike, AND adding a full dual sport kit and full protection.

Battery, tires, and Tubliss were the only substantial weight changes, after the pipe.

It's now 271 with 3.2 gallons of gas.  It feels like 350lbs when you go down hill.

My WR450F ('08) dual sport is 261 with 3.1 gallons of gas (242 empty).  it feels like 230 when riding.  It has had no focused weight reduction plan.

My '08 CRF450R is set up for desert with full protection and with 3.2 gallons it's 249, but feels like 200....... 

My KTM POS 450SXF was set up for desert too, and was 242 with 2.8 gal. But it would not turn or take whoops so I had it crushed, then burned.

7162b16c-3590-4b0b-a20f-7c74c83b655a_zps

• Navaho6

Posted December 21, 2013 - 10:35 AM

I just finished mine today.  Took off all lights, speedo, replace muffler with gytr, replace battery with 1 lb lithium version, changed out tires and pulled the snorkel.  Total weight shaved =10.5 lbs.  Added 7.5 lbs of aftermarket stuff (handguards, radiator guards, and steering damper).  Weight now with full tank of gas 270 lbs.  

• YHGEORGE

Posted December 21, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Someone mentioned the Pirelli XCMS. I have not had a flat in almost three years with my previous Metzeler. Two rides on the Pirelli=two flats. Very rough, rooty over used area. Tire works as well or better than anything I have used  but so far I just can't keep air in it. One more flat and its gone, I truly dislike fixing flats in the woods.  It may be too light for my conditions.

• Navaho6

Posted December 21, 2013 - 03:00 PM

I have been using the XCMS for many years and have never had a flat. Run 12 psi in dirt, 15 psi in rocks. The sidewalls are softer. That is why they grip so well.

Edited by Navaho6, December 21, 2013 - 03:02 PM.

• Monk

Posted December 21, 2013 - 04:41 PM

I don't do shit to lighten my bike. You could put a 10lb lead weight in my air box and I wouldn't know it was there until I went to clean the filter. I'm sure some people can feel small changes in weight, but I am not one of them.

Don't forget he's going to teach you how to ride, because like, you suck and all....

• woods-rider

Posted December 21, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Don't forget he's going to teach you how to ride, because like, you suck and all....

Ha ha, that's right. Hey, I'll take any lessons I can get. I just wouldn't be surprised, if by the end of the day, I am the one doing the teaching.

• letitsnow

Posted December 21, 2013 - 07:27 PM

I just sold my 02 cr 250 to buy the 14WR450 and I do single track to a place called devils hole and this bike heavier feels much more nimble. Sorry better use correct punctuation or someone may get upset. I honestly think its 98% rider

I switched from an '03 CR250R to an '06 WR450 and I can't really tell much difference either.  The extra weight might even be a benefit, cause you don't seem to bounce around so much...

• exracer2

Posted December 21, 2013 - 07:57 PM

I don't see what all the worry is about weight. I just ride this 850 lb. Harley and it makes my wr feel like a 125 !

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Posted December 22, 2013 - 08:24 AM

I switched from an '03 CR250R to an '06 WR450 and I can't really tell much difference either.  The extra weight might even be a benefit, cause you don't seem to bounce around so much...

Funny no one ever thinks of it that way, it can be a huge benefit on certain terrain. Its kind of like suspension, no one setup will work great on everything you have to pick something that is well rounded on what you ride.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

• Hot  55 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

• Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

The Teanaway is no BS! by Nuklhed

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  55 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.