My WR450 25 pound trim off...

Yamaha WR450F

434 replies to this topic
  • woods-rider

Posted November 22, 2013 - 12:14 PM

600 bucks for that seat.

For a whole 1 1/2 lbs. Bet they sell like hot cakes.

Oh wow, like I said, I didn't read the article. That right there is why I don't even start down the path of trying to shave weight off the bike.

Posted November 22, 2013 - 12:27 PM

Oh wow, like I said, I didn't read the article. That right there is why I don't even start down the path of trying to shave weight off the bike.

When you look at what MidlifeCrisisGuy is doing by shedding lbs it makes sense. But, when you start replacing for performance parts to lighten the load it can get expensive in a hurry.

• woods-rider

Posted November 22, 2013 - 12:33 PM

When you look at what MidlifeCrisisGuy is doing by shedding lbs it makes sense. But, when you start replacing for performance parts to lighten the load it can get expensive in a hurry.

Yes, but I am also a big dopy ogre and probably couldn't tell you if someone chopped 30 lbs off my bike unless they told me about it first (and then it's really just the placebo effect). That's just me though and I'm sure lots of people can tell just a few pounds difference.

• Bandit9

Posted November 22, 2013 - 01:04 PM

600 for a seat is just stupid.

Posted November 22, 2013 - 02:28 PM

3.4 Lbs to go? I want to see the goal reached now, your so close.

• beezer

Posted November 22, 2013 - 02:42 PM

You know the seat would get farked on the first ride.

• RockerYZWR

Posted November 22, 2013 - 02:43 PM

Now's the time to start drilling speed holes in stuff and grinding down the fat parts of the frame!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 22, 2013 - 03:34 PM

Dip the frame in acid, make a new shift drum out of billet aluminium, replace the axels and fasteners with all Ti. 

That's good for about 6 lbs

:smashpc:

• grayracer513

Posted November 22, 2013 - 04:17 PM

Modern high end dirt bikes don't make as good a candidate for this kind of thing as they used to.  Back in the day, a stock '72 CZ 380 weighed  247 pounds with an empty tank.  I used to go around to bike shops with an angler's scale, weighing handlebars and such.  When I got done with the whole program, which did include things like drilling the brake shoes and dimple drilling the backing plates from the inside, along with a fiberglass tank and plastic fenders and other stuff, the bike was down to 221.  That with no starter motor or battery to discard.  But they don't build many dirt bikes anymore with 9 pound gas tanks and 2 pound fenders, either. :excuseme:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 22, 2013 - 05:09 PM

Modern high end dirt bikes don't make as good a candidate for this kind of thing as they used to.  Back in the day, a stock '72 CZ 380 weighed  247 pounds with an empty tank.  I used to go around to bike shops with an angler's scale, weighing handlebars and such.  When I got done with the whole program, which did include things like drilling the brake shoes and dimple drilling the backing plates from the inside, along with a fiberglass tank and plastic fenders and other stuff, the bike was down to 221.  That with no starter motor or battery to discard.  But they don't build many dirt bikes anymore with 9 pound gas tanks and 2 pound fenders, either. :excuseme:

I did the same with my 1972 DKW Hornet.

It came as a 245 lb 125cc 'racer'.

$600 later it was 219 lbs, and looked like Swiss cheese.... but then it did come with steel chromed rims and at least 5 lbs of brackets on the frame that had no discernible functions.......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GPNewhouse

Posted November 22, 2013 - 05:15 PM

Can't help but think it would have been easier to just start with a two stroke which would have been lighter to begin with and would have been easier to start and cheaper to modify and maintain.

I guess at the end of the day its what ever floats your boat but a 200/250/300 exc would have been my choice.

• Bandit9

Posted November 22, 2013 - 05:41 PM

Can't help but think it would have been easier to just start with a two stroke which would have been lighter to begin with and would have been easier to start and cheaper to modify and maintain.

I guess at the end of the day its what ever floats your boat but a 200/250/300 exc would have been my choice.

It would never have the stability, powerband, FI, nor the fuel mileage of the WR450.

• Bandit9

Posted November 22, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Not to mention that would mean owning a KTM....

Edited by Bandit9, November 22, 2013 - 05:44 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 22, 2013 - 06:11 PM

^^^^^   D I T T O ^^^^

The KTM fashion movement is a pretty empty promise....

• wr4502012

Posted November 22, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Ignition coil assemply near radiator is very heavy,have you replaced it.I didnt find that from your list.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 23, 2013 - 06:45 AM

Ignition coil assemply near radiator is very heavy,have you replaced it.I didnt find that from your list.

You are absolutely right it looks heavy. I haven't replaced it, but its on my list. The other thing about that placement is if you bend the radiator back, it drives the solenoid into the rad.

I haven't worked on my bike or rode it in 2 months. I'll get back to it as soon as I get things caught up in my life.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, November 23, 2013 - 06:49 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 23, 2013 - 06:48 AM

It wouldn't take much to make a seat pan from carbon fiber. I didn't have this on my list.

As far as buying a 2 stroke, meh. Not interested. I love the WR450 power, both the amount and how controllable it is. It absolutely rocks.

The WR450 has excellent suspension and frame geometry. Excellent engine + excellent suspension + excellent frame + light weight = win.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 23, 2013 - 06:50 AM

Yes, but I am also a big dopy ogre and probably couldn't tell you if someone chopped 30 lbs off my bike unless they told me about it first (and then it's really just the placebo effect). That's just me though and I'm sure lots of people can tell just a few pounds difference.

You absolutely would be able to tell if you rode a bike 30 pounds lighter.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 23, 2013 - 06:52 AM

For a whole 1 1/2 lbs. Bet they sell like hot cakes.

Link ?

Posted November 23, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Link ?

The 1 1/2 lbs savings was compared to the stock RM-Z seat. Like you said, it would be easy to make the carbon fiber base in your garage for under a $100. Still not worth it to me but here you go....  thinktechnology.us

Edited by 080, November 23, 2013 - 07:37 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

WR450F Supermoto, Old vs New? by MtnDrew

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

• Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo

Valve Cover gasket keeps blowing by pbcrazy9898

• Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.