My WR450 25 pound trim off...

Yamaha WR450F

434 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 15, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Love the write up and story mate.

What is the part number of the muffler and the quiet insert? How loud is it without the insert? What is the measured weight saving over stock?
Also please discuss lighter options from fmf

OK.

The 2012 WR page only lists 2 mufflers, the Q4 Hex and the Powercore 4 Hex. Neither is Ti. One has a claimed weight of 6 pounds, the other 5.5 pounds. The Powercore doesn't have the insert.
http://www.fmfracing...2_YAMAHA_WR450F

The stock muffler with clamp is 7.45 pounds.

It turns out that FMF mufflers for the 2006 to 2009 YZ450F exactly fit the 2012 WR450 except that the midpipe lightly touches a ridge on the top of the transmission. It appears as though the YZs of those years had different header sizes as my kit came with 3 different bushings to allow it to fit up to various headpipe diameters. One of the bushings was a perfect fit on my stock WR450F header.

http://www.fmfracing...9_YAMAHA_YZ450F

I purchased the Ti Powercore part number 044230. It has an advertised weight of 4.8 pounds. It does not have an insert. It fit my bike perfectly, however, it weighed 5.2 pounds, not 4.8 as advertised. Very disappointing. Furthermore, one needs to install the quiet insert in the muffler. This adds a further 0.2 pounds over the spark arrester alone, bringing the total weight to 5.4 pounds. Again, disappointing. That amounts to a net weight loss of 2.05 pounds.

My friend has a 2012 YZ250F. It appears that the muffler system on it is exactly the same as the WR450F as well, though we didn't measure the diameter of the headpipe exit with a caliper. The YZ250F has more available pipes than the 06-09 YZ450F, some of which have carbon fiber endcaps and Ti midpipes. The midpipe on the 044230 muffler is stainless steel.

http://www.fmfracing...2_YAMAHA_YZ250F

If one believes the claimed weights for the 2012 YZ250F mufflers, the Ti Factory 4.1 RCTs weigh 4.3 pounds WITH the quiet core installed. That is a savings of 1.1 pounds over the 044230 muffler I used. However, these mufflers are about $75 more than I paid for mine, after I factor in buying the quiet insert in addition to the muffler. I wish I would have known this before I purchased mine.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 15, 2013 - 05:45 AM.

• aussieklx

Posted September 16, 2013 - 03:46 AM

G'day mate. Are you sure about the yz250f muffler fitting? Did you actually test on your bike? For example if you go to fmf website, power core 4 hex for both bikes 250f and wr450 has different part numbers?

Cheers

• aussieklx

Posted September 16, 2013 - 03:50 AM

Also have y ou considered a tubeless conversion for the wheels or no gain due to not running uhd and hd tubes?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 16, 2013 - 07:08 PM

G'day mate. Are you sure about the yz250f muffler fitting?

Not 100%, no. 90%.

Did you actually test on your bike?

No, I haven't. My friend has one on his hopped up YZ250F. I'll see if I can get him to pull it off to run on my bike for a test. he probably will.

For example if you go to fmf website, power core 4 hex for both bikes 250f and wr450 has different part numbers

I don't know. But I do know that when I called FMF and asked them about 044230, they told me it absolutely would not fit a WR450F. And yet it does, perfectly.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 16, 2013 - 07:09 PM

Also have y ou considered a tubeless conversion for the wheels or no gain due to not running uhd and hd tubes?

I'm running stock tubes right now. I have not considered a tubeless conversion. I'll look into it going forward.

• aussieklx

Posted September 17, 2013 - 03:36 AM

Ok great. Cheers

• woods-rider

Posted September 17, 2013 - 12:23 PM

I'm running stock tubes right now. I have not considered a tubeless conversion. I'll look into it going forward.

The advantage isn't in weight savings, but in the added traction with being able to run 4 psi without worrying about pinch flats. The difference is amazing when running more technical trails.

One thing I didn't see is replacing the steel shock spring with a Ti one.

Edited by woods-rider, September 17, 2013 - 01:15 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 17, 2013 - 06:10 PM

I'll buy one as soon as I can find it used for a reasonable price.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 18, 2013 - 04:49 AM

I'll buy one as soon as I can find it used for a reasonable price.

http://www.diverse-mfg.com/

• stevethe

Posted September 18, 2013 - 06:14 AM

The advantage isn't in weight savings, but in the added traction with being able to run 4 psi without worrying about pinch flats. The difference is amazing when running more technical trails.

Ooh ooh I love spending other peoples money even more than my own.  http://store.mettec.com/  lets hear it for a full one off titanium build.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 19, 2013 - 07:43 PM

I removed the rear stop light from my bike. 0.40 pounds.

I also removed the lean angle sensor and the bracket that holds it and the wiring connectors above the head. 0.37 pounds.

Total removed today 0.77 pounds, less a bit of tape and zip ties.

Total removed to date 19.63 + 0.77 = 20.4 pounds.

Some day I'm going to pull apart the wiring harness and strip out all the crap that doesn't belong. There is a huge connector above the head that doesn't seem to do anything on these bikes, to say nothing of all the little connectors that don't do anything. I suspect there is a couple pounds of copper and tape to be lost.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 19, 2013 - 07:45 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 05, 2013 - 07:18 PM

Today I removed the left foot peg/ kickstand mount. It weighs 1.05 pounds. I replaced it with a YZ footpeg mount which bolts right on. It weighs 0.39 pounds. Total loss 0.66 pounds.

The kickstand, spring and bolt weigh 1.16 pounds. That makes the entire kickstand assembly 1.82 pounds. FYI the starter and kickstand stuff alone add 12 pounds to these bikes.

While I was messing with the peg mounts, I flipped mine left for right. This lowers the pegs by over 1/2" and brings them forward a bit. Just right for a tall guy like me. There is a locating dimple on the side of the frame that must be filed off to do this, but otherwise its straight forward.

Total weight loss on the bike is now 21.6 pounds, bringing the its dry weight to 239.6lbs. Its a huge change from stock, which was 260 pounds.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, October 05, 2013 - 07:20 PM.

• Bandit9

Posted October 06, 2013 - 08:35 AM

Ha...I was actually coming to this thread to mention the peg mount swap. Thought of it this morning. I remember Tribal telling us about the peg mounts.

You find a YZF rear fender yet? $30 is pretty cheap to lose close to 2lbs. I'm curious to see what the fish scale reads on that swap.

Edited by Bandit9, October 06, 2013 - 08:37 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:39 PM

Ha...I was actually coming to this thread to mention the peg mount swap. Thought of it this morning. I remember Tribal telling us about the peg mounts.

Its not only the peg mounts, but the pegs themselves. The WR pegs are stainless steel and ovesized. They weigh 0.48 pounds each. YZ pegs are smaller, though the later years are bigger than the earlier years. They are also titanium. I have a YZ peg that weighs 0.24 pounds.

You find a YZF rear fender yet? $30 is pretty cheap to lose close to 2lbs. I'm curious to see what the fish scale reads on that swap.

I'll look into it and report back.

FYI, I cut the overflow tank part of the fender off mine, because I removed my overflow tank. ANd I relocated the ECM from between the fender and side cover to under the seat, where the battery used to be. It really cleans things up.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, October 06, 2013 - 07:40 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:43 PM

We ran 20 miles of tight, technical single track today. My WR rocked it. Its getting to be a fast tight woods bike.

My latest changes were backing off the high speed compression on the shock and checking the idle with the GYTR tuner and finding it to be 2800 RPM. I backed it off to 1950 RPM. That makes the bike so much easier to use. It stalls even less, doesn't overheat anymore and is easier to control in technical terrain.

• MaxPower

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:31 AM

I'm not trying to piss in your cheerios but riding dirt bikes is 95% rider.

A lighter bike won't make up for an out of shape rider.

No, you are pissing in his Cheerios

Edited by MaxPower, October 07, 2013 - 08:33 AM.

• cj_wai

Posted November 15, 2013 - 09:22 AM

there is a company that makes substatially lighter seats.i think they replace the pan and all.i read it on another thread,i think it was a suzuki.

• woods-rider

Posted November 22, 2013 - 08:55 AM

This month's Dirt Rider magazine also has an article about a super light seat that has a carbon fiber pan etc. I haven't read it yet, just saw it while flipping through the pages on my way to the house from the mailbox.

• beezer

Posted November 22, 2013 - 10:28 AM

600 bucks for that seat.

Posted November 22, 2013 - 12:06 PM

600 bucks for that seat.

For a whole 1 1/2 lbs. Bet they sell like hot cakes.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

The Teanaway is no BS! by Nuklhed

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  55 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  27 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.