My WR450 25 pound trim off...

Yamaha WR450F

434 replies to this topic
  • GP1K

Posted September 15, 2014 - 02:14 PM

Then why do people say that a YZ handles better than a WR ?  There is only about 25 pounds difference between them.  Ride them back to back and its night and day.

Because there's more to handling than just weight. Derp.

• GP1K

Posted September 15, 2014 - 02:16 PM

I guess that most people like the weight of the WR450F then.  Move along, nothing to see here, then.

Or they just like the WR for what it is, and realize it's not a featherweight bike and they're ok with that. It has a lot of things going for it some lighter bikes don't. It's all relative.

• vlxjim

Posted September 15, 2014 - 02:32 PM

All I can say is when I use to ride mountain bikes all the time. (long time ago) I would ride with guys that did all they could to drop every oz, gram whatever from there bikes. Some of the ones that did so were real fast, and some were the slowest in the group. But there were some guys that rode heavy dressed out bike that would just rip.

Same go's for dirt bikes. Ive seen guys that just rip on the heaviest POS and I've seen guys on CR 80's make us all look like girls.

I say to each his own. Heck look at all the different bikes out there. There is not one do all bike. You just ride and make do with what you got.

• avlisj

Posted September 15, 2014 - 08:06 PM

I ditched the rear plastics last weekend. See the weights in the most recent list. Seemed extreme at the time, but they don't really serve any purpose other than the look pretty. Ever notice how much smaller the rear plastic is on the KTMs ? Especially the Freeride ? These details are why the Yamahas weigh more.

I think the rest of the stuff in your list is too extreme for me.

I want to see a picture of this naked WR!

• KennyMc

Posted September 15, 2014 - 08:54 PM

I want to see a picture of this naked WR!

Yeah, I just can't picture a bike without the side plates....well, I guess I could remove mine and take a picture but I can't see that that is what the final project looks like. :confused:

• avlisj

Posted September 16, 2014 - 05:41 PM

Yeah, I just can't picture a bike without the side plates....well, I guess I could remove mine and take a picture but I can't see that that is what the final project looks like. :confused:

Did he take the fenders and shrouds off too?

• avlisj

Posted September 16, 2014 - 05:43 PM

C'mon give us a picture.
I know you know how to upload pics

• stevethe

Posted September 16, 2014 - 06:06 PM

You boys sure you can handle his naked bike? :thumbsdn:

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 23, 2014 - 07:31 AM

You boys sure you can handle his naked bike? :thumbsdn:

Laugh all you want.  On our Sunday ride my buddy (vet expert, local HS champ back in the day) with the bored and stroked YZ250F woods special, swapped bikes with me twice and didn't want to give mine back.  At the trailhead he was telling another WR450F rider how great my bike was.   

When I got my WR, this same guy was questioning why the heck I bought it, pretty much telling me I bought the wrong bike.  Dramatic change. 

If you go back and look at my posts, I had pretty much figured out that you could drop 20+ pounds from it before I bought it.  Once you get the weight down, making the rest of the bike competitive is easy.  My plan is coming together.   

• GP1K

Posted September 23, 2014 - 08:04 AM

Laugh all you want.  On our Sunday ride my buddy (vet expert, local HS champ back in the day) with the bored and stroked YZ250F woods special, swapped bikes with me twice and didn't want to give mine back.  At the trailhead he was telling another WR450F rider how great my bike was.   

When I got my WR, this same guy was questioning why the heck I bought it, pretty much telling me I bought the wrong bike.  Dramatic change. 

If you go back and look at my posts, I had pretty much figured out that you could drop 20+ pounds from it before I bought it.  Once you get the weight down, making the rest of the bike competitive is easy.  My plan is coming together.   

'Competitive' eh? How many races have you won on it so far? Oh, not a single one? So how are you deeming  it 'competitive' exactly? Because your *cough* 'vet expert' *cough* buddy that can't leave a first year rider in the dust says so?  LOL

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 23, 2014 - 08:10 AM

Whatever.  Once again, thanks for providing us with all the answers, GP1K.

• revelc

Posted September 23, 2014 - 02:55 PM

'Competitive' eh? How many races have you won on it so far? Oh, not a single one? So how are you deeming it 'competitive' exactly? Because your *cough* 'vet expert' *cough* buddy that can't leave a first year rider in the dust says so? LOL

Just let him do his thing.
He's not going to change any more than we would after bickering on a forum.

2014 WRR-R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F-Stolen

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 23, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Why don't you come out to CA and see what riding is all about.

• stevethe

Posted September 23, 2014 - 04:30 PM

Why don't you come out to CA and see what riding is all about.

Oh my that's exciting. We could even take up a fund for you. It's called pay to ride.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 23, 2014 - 04:33 PM

Oh my that's exciting. We could even take up a fund for you. It's called pay to ride.

I'm in.  $20 bucks

• stevethe

Posted September 23, 2014 - 04:45 PM

I'm in.  $20 bucks

I've got a gold card on that one.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 23, 2014 - 04:47 PM

$1500 and I'm on my way.  You get it, I'll be there.

I wanna ride tight woods.  Where are we meeting ?  I think a WR450F get together would be a great thing.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 23, 2014 - 04:55 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 23, 2014 - 05:10 PM

I've got a gold card on that one.

Get it out.  Talk is cheap.

• revelc

Posted September 23, 2014 - 05:21 PM

Get it out. Talk is cheap.

How about we all get along and fund me getting a bike?

Seriously.

2014 WRR-R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F-Stolen

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 23, 2014 - 05:29 PM

How about we all get along and fund me getting a bike?

Seriously.

Figures.  Shite got real and people blink.

Seriously, lets get together.   I'm due for a road trip.  I'll bring along 3 or 4 other riders.  Lets ride, compare notes, share beer and have some fun.

Its going to cost me a lot of fuel to pull my 5er and haul the bikes.   Where and when ?

Lets call it the mid life crisis get together.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 23, 2014 - 05:32 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

• Hot  34 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

• 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.