My WR450 25 pound trim off...

Yamaha WR450F

434 replies to this topic
  • DRS

Posted September 08, 2014 - 09:12 AM

I rode with a KTM200 XC yesterday.   Rider of my ability or better.   I left him in the dust twice.  And he was red faced at the stops.

have you thought about shaving the plastics in half, or just ditching them all together?  or maybe drilling holes in the frame and swing arm?   and lose the grips,  grips are for pu$$ies....  as well as the front brake caliper, who needs a front brake when you are going the speeds you are your crew are...  you could get this thing down to 200lbs by xmas...   

Edited by DRS, September 08, 2014 - 09:25 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 08, 2014 - 09:23 AM

so are you are saying that your wr450 much fast and less taxing to ride than a ktm 200 in tight technical single track?   

I dislike the KTM 200XC.  Its not a bike I ride well,  so I can't say.  All I know is what I observed yesterday.

When the going is good but tight, he'll pull from me.   But when its slippery, off camber, hills, rooty, I was leaving him.  Maybe it was my lines, but previously I struggled to keep up.  My WR is constantly improving.  I'm delighted with how much better it is. 

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 08, 2014 - 09:24 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 08, 2014 - 09:30 AM

have you thought about shaving the plastics in half, or just ditching them all together?  or maybe drilling holes in the frame and swing arm?   and lose the grips,  grips are for pu$$ies....  as well as the front brake caliper, who needs a front brake when you are going the speeds you are your crew are...  you could get this thing down to 200lbs by xmas...   

I ditched the rear plastics last weekend.  See the weights in the most recent list.  Seemed extreme at the time, but they don't really serve any purpose other than the look pretty.   Ever notice how much smaller the rear plastic is on the KTMs ?  Especially the Freeride ? These details are why the Yamahas weigh more.

I think the rest of the stuff in your list is too extreme for me.

• DRS

Posted September 09, 2014 - 12:44 PM

whatever...

• vlxjim

Posted September 12, 2014 - 11:39 AM

I saved way more weight than you guys ever will. I turned my XR650 into a WR450. So there.

• KennyMc

Posted September 12, 2014 - 07:29 PM

I saved way more weight than you guys ever will. I turned my XR650 into a WR450. So there.

I turned my WR450 into a 350EXC.  So there there :smirk:   Well, I still have the WR :cool:

• GP1K

Posted September 12, 2014 - 07:40 PM

I turned my WR450 into a 350EXC.  So there there :smirk:   Well, I still have the WR :cool:

I turned my WR450 into a 250 XCF-W! Ha! I still have my WR too... :ride:

• KennyMc

Posted September 12, 2014 - 08:55 PM

I turned my WR450 into a 250 XCF-W! Ha! I still have my WR too... :ride:

Both my bikes are plated....I can go where no man dares :goofy:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 12, 2014 - 10:23 PM

I ditched the rear plastics last weekend.  See the weights in the most recent list.  Seemed extreme at the time, but they don't really serve any purpose other than the look pretty.   Ever notice how much smaller the rear plastic is on the KTMs ?  Especially the Freeride ? These details are why the Yamahas weigh more.

I think the rest of the stuff in your list is too extreme for me.

You have now proven what I thought to be true all along

You have not clue what you are doing!

You are obcessed with weight. It ridiculous.

What do you ride, maybe 35-45 hours a year? Spend 200-300 hours a year in the garage?

You need to get out more....

Insert obiligitory smiley face here

Edited by Kah Ran Nee, September 13, 2014 - 05:37 AM.

• woods-rider

Posted September 12, 2014 - 10:42 PM

It would be interesting to do a blind experiment with you and your bike, ride the same section of trail 20 time. Between each time have a buddy take your bike to where you can't see or hear it and he has the option to duct tape weights (or remove some) inside your air box (or somewhere you can't see) in one pound minimum increments. Then after each test you write down how the bike feels. My guess is that the results would show that you can't consistently tell the difference in any weight change less than 5 pounds.

Try it and post the results, but be honest. Maybe you are really sensitive to weight, but I bet that I wouldn't be able to tell anything less than a 10, maybe even 20 pound change in my bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted September 13, 2014 - 04:36 AM

It would be interesting to do a blind experiment with you and your bike, ride the same section of trail 20 time. Between each time have a buddy take your bike to where you can't see or hear it and he has the option to duct tape weights (or remove some) inside your air box (or somewhere you can't see) in one pound minimum increments. Then after each test you write down how the bike feels. My guess is that the results would show that you can't consistently tell the difference in any weight change less than 5 pounds.

Try it and post the results, but be honest. Maybe you are really sensitive to weight, but I bet that I wouldn't be able to tell anything less than a 10, maybe even 20 pound change in my bike.

Nope no real scales, no dynos, no real tests. Only subjective Mikey likes it ! :goofy:

• woods-rider

Posted September 13, 2014 - 05:38 AM

Nope no real scales, no dynos, no real tests. Only subjective Mikey likes it ! :goofy:

Yeah, that's all it's been so far.

• beezer

Posted September 13, 2014 - 06:35 AM

I think the OP has committed the cardinal sin of not conforming to the group think here.

• RockerYZWR

Posted September 13, 2014 - 08:32 AM

I think the riding weight test thing is a valid idea, as is any objective gathering and presentation of data. But I've mostly appreciated this thread because of the careful documentation of each and every part removed, its weight, and if anything special had to be done (such as with removing the starter). Rider impressions and so forth, while generally predictable for a lighter weight bike don't mean as much to me. The only opinion that matters to me on whatever mod I do to my bikes or whatever bike I ride is my own opinion.

I mainly read these threads to get information on something, and much less to comprehend and especially worry somebody's subjective opinion. When I read that someone rides "gnarly" singletrack or hillclimbs, it means nothing to me unless I can ride the same piece of earth and judge it myself. Even a GoPro doesn't usually provide an accurate enough depiction of how truly gnarly or steep something can be. Even sitting in the stands at something like an Arenacross event doesn't really give you an appreciation for how deep the whoops are or how steep the faces of the jumps are - you have to ride it to really understand.

On the other side of this, is you can ride through, over, or up something and feel like a total badass, because it was actually difficult and required skill. But someone can watch or film from the sideline and it doesn't look that impressive sometimes.

Then you watch footage from Erzberg/Roof of Africa/Six Days hard enduro stuff and develop a true appreciation for what a pro can do on a dirt bike.

• avlisj

Posted September 13, 2014 - 12:12 PM

I like the scale of how improved the OP bike is when he says he did his regular loop the fastest ever and less fatigued.
Of course you did. Its propably the umpteenth time you did the loop. Not to mention dirt quality and last rain etc. I would hope you got better each time. That's called rider skill and trail knowledge. NOT lighter bike and new cams!

• revelc

Posted September 13, 2014 - 02:02 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1410645549.228381.jpg

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 15, 2014 - 10:46 AM

Then why do people say that a YZ handles better than a WR ?  There is only about 25 pounds difference between them.  Ride them back to back and its night and day.

• woods-rider

Posted September 15, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Then why do people say that a YZ handles better than a WR ?  There is only about 25 pounds difference between them.  Ride them back to back and its night and day.

In 2006 I went from a 2004 YZ450 to a 2006 WR450F and could HARDLY feel the difference in weight, and that may have just been in my head because I knew it was heavier. Well worth it for the estart, wide ratio trans, headlight, and 18" rear. 5 pounds is a far cry from 25.

Edited by woods-rider, September 15, 2014 - 10:55 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 15, 2014 - 12:01 PM

In 2006 I went from a 2004 YZ450 to a 2006 WR450F and could HARDLY feel the difference in weight, and that may have just been in my head because I knew it was heavier. Well worth it for the estart, wide ratio trans, headlight, and 18" rear. 5 pounds is a far cry from 25.

I guess that most people like the weight of the WR450F then.  Move along, nothing to see here, then.

• woods-rider

Posted September 15, 2014 - 01:36 PM

I guess that most people like the weight of the WR450F then.  Move along, nothing to see here, then.

I'm not bashing you removing weight from your bike, just curious to see how noticeable it actually is to you. This will obviously be different for different people. I am assuming that I am not that sensitive to weight change on bikes while others, such as yourself, may be hypersensitive to it. I would think that an honest test like the one I suggested would be something you could benefit from and would be interested to do for your own knowledge. You may be as sensitive as you think you are to weight, but you might find that you aren't which would save you both time and money in not removing as much weight from your bike. Either way, the results would be interesting.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

Valve Cover gasket keeps blowing by pbcrazy9898

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

WR450F Supermoto, Old vs New? by MtnDrew

• Hot  27 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.