My WR450 25 pound trim off...

Yamaha WR450F

434 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted September 03, 2014 - 05:49 PM

I like your video. I bet those are fun rides.

You should all come play in the woods of East Texas sometime.

Edited for potato

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

You mean like Sabine?  I've ridden there and several places around Dallas.

Too FLAT for me.

• GP1K

Posted September 03, 2014 - 05:55 PM

Dude, you are so clueless it's not really even funny.

I can't keep up with my 165lb buddy on his CRF250R with my stock WR motor,  cause I weight 70lbs more than him.

I out brake him, out traction him, and out climb him, but once we both get enough traction, I cannot keep up.

The stock WR is SLOW SLOW SLOW, even uncorked.

I am used to riding CRF450R's, KX450f's, and 450 SX-F's as my primary fun bike. 

I can not longer kick start 25 times a day with an arthritic knee, so I chose to go all e-start with all my bikes.

Now I have the task of trying to make the e-start bikes keep up with the track bikes.

It takes a LOT of work to get a bike that is 35-50lbs heavier, down 10-15 hp, to be 'competitive'. 

No, I would not race my WR, under any conditions. It's too heavy. 

But racing is mostly waiting, not riding. Waiting for your moto. Waiting for you number. Waiting for the next event. Etc etc.  All for a few hours a month of racing. 

I choose to no longer race, I choose to ride.

Now, heres the HUGE flaw in this extremely old, extremely inaccurate argument of 'the bike is not as important as the rider'......

-  NOT ONE SINGLE SX PROFESSIONAL RIDER TRYS TO MAKE HIS BIKE LESS FAST IN ORDER TO WIN, NO MATTER HOW GOOD A RIDER HE IS.

-  NOT ONE SINGLE AMA DISTRICT OFF-ROAD RACER TRYS TO MAKE IT BIKE LESS FAST IN ORDER TO WIN

-  NOT ONE SINGLE PLAY RIDER CANNOT BENEFIT FROM PROPERLY TUNED SUSPENSION AND MOTOR.

So, if its all the rider, why are they all wasting so much money?

I occasionally ride with guys way faster than me. 

I don't mean guys that 'tire me out' or that 'ride circles around me'. 

I mean guys that are GONE seconds after you start. 

Can't see them, can't find them. FAST #1 plate holders in their class.

There is nothing I can do to my bike that will allow me to ride along side them.

There is also nothing I can do to my bike that would allow me TO FLY either.

No one would think there is such a thing.

SO WHY ARE YOU COMPARING TRAIL RIDERS TO PROFESSIONAL AND MAKING THEM FEEL STUPID FOR TRYING TO GET FASTER ANYWAY THEY CAN?

...it's because you have a poor self image of yourself, and can't stand to see others doing things you can't do/afford/understand, or whatever.

Keep it to yourself and curb the hate.

Feel better now?

Your assessment of me is hilarious and couldn't be further from the truth. ASSume much?

You know you just made my point, right? You said it yourself, there is nothing you can do to your bike to keep up with your fast friends, and I agree. But MLCG doesn't. He rates a bike's abilities by how he and his buddies fare out on the trail. If he can keep up with his buddy on bike X, then his bike is as good or better than bike X. But if his other buddy on bike Y can't get up a hill or whatever, no way that's the rider, it's the bike. Bike Y just isn't good enough. And that is just ridiculous and you know it. And if you don't know it, then YOU are the one that is clueless.

An uncorked WR is 'slow slow slow'? Really? That statement is so wacky I don't know if you're just trolling with that or what? Slow compared to what? A full-on AMA pro MX bike? A top fuel dragster? A MotoGP bike?

But your missing the whole point. The point is MLCG IS the truly clueless one here, yet talks like he's an expert on subjects he clearly has no real world experience about, and obviously spends way more time researching and theorizing than riding. Who in their right mind wants to ditch the new SSS forks for some Frankenstein's monster of old & new parts, with the goal of being able to adjust both clickers while sitting on the bike. Because that's something you really need to do, fiddle with your clickers every 5 minutes while riding. Who makes changes to intake & exhaust without tuning for it? Nobody I know. There's making smart, logical mods to a bike, and then there's just throwing a bunch of crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. If that's what he wants to do to his bike that's his business, but he should start a blog about it or something, not post here like he's an expert and giving advice on all these subjects, when he's not.

I for one one refuse to just sit idly by while another keyboard commando doles out horrible and wrong advice unchallenged like he's a pro tuner or builder, when he's the furthest thing from it. If you can't see that, then I don't know what to say. You've been around long enough, you should know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I've seen too many forums ruined when a bunch of yahoos show up and drown out all the people who actually know what their talking about, to the point they either stop participating or leave the forums altogether. So think real hard on which side of this you come down on.

• revelc

Posted September 03, 2014 - 05:58 PM

You mean like Sabine? I've ridden there and several places around Dallas.

Too FLAT for me.

What's your definition of flat?

http://www.barnwellm...a.com/index.php

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Yoshi RS4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

• revelc

Posted September 03, 2014 - 05:59 PM

Oops. Double post.

But it's not very flat. Lots of hill climbs.

Edited by revelc, September 03, 2014 - 06:04 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 03, 2014 - 06:34 PM

Oops. Double post.

But it's not very flat. Lots of hill climbs.

OK, good!  Hills are the 'squid filters'

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 03, 2014 - 06:35 PM

Feel better now?

Your assessment of me is hilarious and couldn't be further from the truth. ASSume much?

You know you just made my point, right? You said it yourself, there is nothing you can do to your bike to keep up with your fast friends, and I agree. But MLCG doesn't. He rates a bike's abilities by how he and his buddies fare out on the trail. If he can keep up with his buddy on bike X, then his bike is as good or better than bike X. But if his other buddy on bike Y can't get up a hill or whatever, no way that's the rider, it's the bike. Bike Y just isn't good enough. And that is just ridiculous and you know it. And if you don't know it, then YOU are the one that is clueless.

An uncorked WR is 'slow slow slow'? Really? That statement is so wacky I don't know if you're just trolling with that or what? Slow compared to what? A full-on AMA pro MX bike? A top fuel dragster? A MotoGP bike?

But your missing the whole point. The point is MLCG IS the truly clueless one here, yet talks like he's an expert on subjects he clearly has no real world experience about, and obviously spends way more time researching and theorizing than riding. Who in their right mind wants to ditch the new SSS forks for some Frankenstein's monster of old & new parts, with the goal of being able to adjust both clickers while sitting on the bike. Because that's something you really need to do, fiddle with your clickers every 5 minutes while riding. Who makes changes to intake & exhaust without tuning for it? Nobody I know. There's making smart, logical mods to a bike, and then there's just throwing a bunch of crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. If that's what he wants to do to his bike that's his business, but he should start a blog about it or something, not post here like he's an expert and giving advice on all these subjects, when he's not.

I for one one refuse to just sit idly by while another keyboard commando doles out horrible and wrong advice unchallenged like he's a pro tuner or builder, when he's the furthest thing from it. If you can't see that, then I don't know what to say. You've been around long enough, you should know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I've seen too many forums ruined when a bunch of yahoos show up and drown out all the people who actually know what their talking about, to the point they either stop participating or leave the forums altogether. So think real hard on which side of this you come down on.

Who do you think you are challenging, insulting, and ridiculing everything you see?

Who do you think you are, telling me how to think and act?

YOU ARE WAY OUT OF LINE

You know, you have not offered one solution, suggestion, or even for that matter, evidence to your point.

YOU JUST COMPLAIN AND  INSULT.

Yeah, your are judemental and rude and caustic and insulting.

You go after the person, not the opinion.

You ridicule the person, not the act or evicdence.

You, sir should stop posting before it's too late (BANNED)

You state your opinion of other peoples opinions as if you are factual in nature. 

You sir are not on the ignore list for being who you are.

Edited by Kah Ran Nee, September 03, 2014 - 06:39 PM.

• GP1K

Posted September 03, 2014 - 06:38 PM

Absolute proof of your clueless-ness

I would love to see the goofy little trails you must ride, where 13 hp and no suspension and 45 hp and real suspension have no difference

Again, if that were true, all pro riders would ride TTR230's to save money.

You can't possibly need anymore.

...and on the subject of 'weekend warrior'.......why do you use such an insulting term to describe a whole forum of people you don't know, and have never ridden with, and can quite obviously kick you ass in the dirt?

You should come down here and ride with us fluffly little weekend warriors.

I ride with both of these dudes every weekend.

My God dude, you are digging yourself deeper and deeper into this completely farcical argument!

Absolute proof of your cluelessness: 

A CRF450 is absolutely head and shoulders far superior to an ancient XR650L in every way, yet there's Hot Sauce literally toying a CRF on a MX track, about the last place an XRL has any right being. Gee, how can that be? RIDER SKILL. Jeez is it really that hard to understand?

And yeah, I'd bet you any amount of money Graham Jarvis or Jonny Walker etc would ride circles around you on TTR all day long. And me too, I have no such delusions. Unless of course you're just riding fire roads or open desert. I'm talking tight technical trail where skill is more important than pure horsepower.

Why do you take weekend warrior as an insult? I'm one too. I'm no pro, just a guy who likes to go out and ride. And I've been doing it for a long time. I have buddies that are way faster than me, others that are slower. I'm sure some of the guys on this forum are way faster than me, and some slower too. Just how it goes. Besides, I'm talking to one person here, not the entire forum, isn't that obvious by now?

I don't know these guys, I just searched for videos but this is where I was riding Sunday. The top of Frost Mountain is 5700'. The video stops before they get there though.

This is where I was riding Saturday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTGoUUNB7NI

Don't know these guys either, I think this is a little further south in Gifford Pinchot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na_eaelF5IM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oORr8Nfikr4

Goofy little trails, eh?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 03, 2014 - 06:53 PM

Wow, you think the Tedesco video is real huh.

Watch it a few more times, like it did when it came out.

It's edited to death.  The other riders and rolling the corners and jumps.

I mean come on.

That bike would last several laps in a real race, then loose, and be in pieces.

Give it up already.

I'm done with you 

IGNORE

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 03, 2014 - 06:55 PM

I recommend all to go to your user name in the right hand corner, and click on 'settings' and then go to 'ignore list' 

You can figure it out from there.

• GP1K

Posted September 03, 2014 - 07:01 PM

Yeah let's tune me out and listen to MLCG, he's a veritable fountain of information and wealth of hands-on experience. Derp.

And trying to incite a mass 'ignore' because you don't like what I have to say. Real mature, real classy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GP1K

Posted September 03, 2014 - 07:11 PM

Who do you think you are challenging, insulting, and ridiculing everything you see?

Who do you think you are, telling me how to think and act?

YOU ARE WAY OUT OF LINE

You know, you have not offered one solution, suggestion, or even for that matter, evidence to your point.

YOU JUST COMPLAIN AND  INSULT.

Yeah, your are judemental and rude and caustic and insulting.

You go after the person, not the opinion.

You ridicule the person, not the act or evicdence.

You, sir should stop posting before it's too late (BANNED)

You state your opinion of other peoples opinions as if you are factual in nature. 

You sir are not on the ignore list for being who you are.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

I HAVE offered solutions and suggestions, it falls on deaf ears. And I'm not the only one offering suggestions either, all fall on deaf ears. You can lead a horse to water...

And I am not going after the person, I'm going after his opinions, I think they're wrong and bad advice, and it's absolutely my right (and responsibility, IMO) as a TT member to call out anyone giving bum advice or crackpot theories that don't hold water. And you're free to do the same.

If I was really attacking him personally, do you think that mods would just let me? Of course not. They'd slap me down just like they slapped him down for starting a thread purely to troll/mock me. Yet you can't see the difference? That's your problem, not mine.

• GP1K

Posted September 03, 2014 - 07:40 PM

I watched that whole video, and I get it now. We ride in different worlds. My 'dual sport' rides look like your trail rides. And I mean no offense by that. 'Dual sport' for me means hauling the bikes up into the mountains til we hit gravel somewhere, and go exploring. We never ride on pavement. Some of it is fire roads, some is beat up old double track, 4x4 trails, single track and some gnarly single track. All of it is rocky and hilly. Or mossy and rooted. Or all of the above. Your video reminds me of that, just different terrain. You have big monster hills with not a tree in sight. Some of those looked pretty rocky and steep, I know how gopros make things look much less steep and rough than they really are. And that's why I'm so excited to have my WR as my 'dual sport' instead of my old DRZ400. It so much better suited and more capable for that kind of riding.

So I get why your choice of bikes (and mods) is different than mine. Do you get why mine is different than yours? Which brings us back to the issue at hand: MLCG says he's building a 'tight woods' bike, but the mods he's making just don't make sense in that context. THAT is where all this started. Do you really, honestly think the mods he's doing make sense for a 'tight woods' bike? Hopefully you watched some of the vids I posted. That's what 'tight woods' means to me. Perhaps MLCG's opinion of what 'tight woods' is like is way different than mine. Wouldn't be the first time. I've asked him where he rides and to post vids, but he just ignores me. *shrug*

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 03, 2014 - 08:13 PM

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by GP1KView it anyway?

NOPE

• Lindsey97

Posted September 03, 2014 - 08:15 PM

kennymc, when are you going to start trimming down the weight on the motorhome? 

• GP1K

Posted September 03, 2014 - 08:30 PM

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by GP1KView it anyway?

NOPE

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! :moon:

• RockerYZWR

Posted September 03, 2014 - 08:34 PM

gif15.gif

• KennyMc

Posted September 03, 2014 - 10:04 PM

kennymc, when are you going to start trimming down the weight on the motorhome? 

My riding skill more than makes up for it. :p   There isn't anything on the bike that I would consider to be "waste".  I think everyone's bike is much heavier then they even imagine.  Everyone wants to believe what the mag's/mfg says and then use that as a "base" to add and subtract whatever.  The base is wrong so any numbers derived from there are wrong. 

I have added the Mohard rad braces (the heaviest of them all I believe) along with oversize radiators, aluminum skid plate, Scotts steering damper and shark fin, bigger tank and my bike is CA plated so I have the Baja Designs dual sport kit on it.  Also added the YZ forks (don't know if they are any heavier than stock) and wrap-around hand guards with the threaded inserts.

I just ride the &%$#@!ing thing without a concern for the weight as I feel I need all of the bike protection I have.  The CA deserts are full of rocks and canyons that we go exploring in to see if there is a way out.  That leads to a lot of mishaps and bull-dogging which takes it's toll on the bike.

Some of the rocky stuff:

http://youtu.be/tkMBSTFe9cE

The end of the "trail"

http://youtu.be/a-GCBz9KJ7w

A fun wash out in the desert "somewhere" :devil: .  All videos of this are of the same "trail"

http://youtu.be/tVQ3QDOaD6U

http://youtu.be/MIXwHYhp7fQ

http://youtu.be/KZf_fecN85U

http://youtu.be/C55-cIbcdgU

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 03, 2014 - 10:14 PM

My riding skill more than makes up for it. :p   There isn't anything on the bike that I would consider to be "waste".  I think everyone's bike is much heavier then they even imagine.  Everyone wants to believe what the mag's/mfg says and then use that as a "base" to add and subtract whatever.  The base is wrong so any numbers derived from there are wrong. 

I have added the Mohard rad braces (the heaviest of them all I believe) along with oversize radiators, aluminum skid plate, Scotts steering damper and shark fin, bigger tank and my bike is CA plated so I have the Baja Designs dual sport kit on it.  Also added the YZ forks (don't know if they are any heavier than stock) and wrap-around hand guards with the threaded inserts.

I just ride the &%$#@!ing thing without a concern for the weight as I feel I need all of the bike protection I have.  The CA deserts are full of rocks and canyons that we go exploring in to see if there is a way out.  That leads to a lot of mishaps and bull-dogging which takes it's toll on the bike.

Some of the rocky stuff:

http://youtu.be/tkMBSTFe9cE

The end of the "trail"

http://youtu.be/a-GCBz9KJ7w

A fun wash out in the desert "somewhere" :devil: .  All videos of this are of the same "trail"

http://youtu.be/tVQ3QDOaD6U

http://youtu.be/MIXwHYhp7fQ

http://youtu.be/KZf_fecN85U

http://youtu.be/C55-cIbcdgU

Those are TTR230 trails.

You are riding the wrong bike, and we all know it.  :naughty:

• KennyMc

Posted September 03, 2014 - 10:54 PM

That's why I bought the 350EXC :smirk: :lol:

• stevethe

Posted September 04, 2014 - 06:01 AM

http://i1275.photobu...zps0ba66484.mp4

Well Spidermonkey proved everyone can get squid filtered. Even himself.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

New to the SM world by Kegger_92

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Washington

The Teanaway is no BS! by Nuklhed

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

WR450F Supermoto, Old vs New? by MtnDrew

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.