My WR450 25 pound trim off...

Yamaha WR450F

434 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted September 02, 2014 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, my bike was still running like the day I bought it.  I decided to put in the YZ timed cams and figured it was time to do the valves.  But, my bike had yet to give me any kind of signal.  But after 6 years I figured it was time :thumbsup:

Sounds about right

• Jonesy11

Posted September 02, 2014 - 03:30 PM

Sounds about right

I have 81 hrs on my 14 had valves checked 4 times now. Last time I was going to have zip Ty check them while doing my suspension he laughed and said wait till around a 100 then check. Bulletproof

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:12 PM

I heated my bike a few times and that probably had something to do with mine moving. 

It purrs like a kitten now.  Can't wait to get out and ride it.  I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna ride.

I agree these engines are bulletproof.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:19 PM

I have 81 hrs on my 14 had valves checked 4 times now. Last time I was going to have zip Ty check them while doing my suspension he laughed and said wait till around a 100 then check. Bulletproof

When someone writes something like this on the Internet, I never know if they are mocking or serious.  Like when you piped up in my cam info thread that you are getting a full GYTR head for your 450.  I'm like either he is trolling me or this really happened and I can't figure out which.  Not mocking you either way on either of them, its just funny how things come across on the Internet, sans other information.

• Jonesy11

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:25 PM

When someone writes something like this on the Internet, I never know if they are mocking or serious. Like when you piped up in my cam info thread that you are getting a full GYTR head for your 450. I'm like either he is trolling me or this really happened and I can't figure out which. Not mocking you either way on either of them, its just funny how things come across on the Internet, sans other information.

Not trolling you that guy gpk1 or whatever his name is just irritated me. If someone wants a different cam or whatever who is it for him to say someone sucks it's the rider not bike. But if someone's on a ttr230 vs my wr450. With same rider of course the WR. I was looking at your info on cams before I went with the gytr. I was looking to a cheaper alternative but all the info was too much to take in. I just ordered the gytr so I don't get the head ach of all the different cams or exaust ports. Whatever. Im no bike mechanic so I went the easy route.

And about what I told him about the cam thing. He said a cam to clear obstacles or whatever I don't believe it's the cam that will help with that. I just want more power from her.

Edited by Jonesy11, September 02, 2014 - 04:31 PM.

• stevethe

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:41 PM

Not trolling you that guy gpk1 or whatever his name is just irritated me. If someone wants a different cam or whatever who is it for him to say someone sucks it's the rider not bike. But if someone's on a ttr230 vs my wr450. With same rider of course the WR. I was looking at your info on cams before I went with the gytr. I was looking to a cheaper alternative but all the info was too much to take in. I just ordered the gytr so I don't get the head ach of all the different cams or exaust ports. Whatever. Im no bike mechanic so I went the easy route.

And about what I told him about the cam thing. He said a cam to clear obstacles or whatever I don't believe it's the cam that will help with that. I just want more power from her.

The GYTR head should be good quality it's made by Cosworth.

• Jonesy11

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:46 PM

The GYTR head should be good quality it's made by Cosworth.

I have a friend that works at Webcam. They make the cams for gytr kit.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:51 PM

Jonesy: after a bit  i knew you weren't trolling me.  Its all good.  If you want that kind of power, I think the GYTR head is the way to go.   Krannie is running a ported head and cams on his WR and he is pretty happy with it.  I'm really interested to hear how it works out for you.

For the record, I'm the guy that thinks cams will help the OP of the other thread with his throttle response.  Time will tell if I'm right or not.  I'll be riding mine in the next couple days. 

• RockerYZWR

Posted September 02, 2014 - 05:10 PM

Just weighed my WR out in the garage using a glass-type bathroom scale that's accurate to the 1/10th of a pound.  It's pretty slim at less than 3/4" so I didn't bother putting a piece of wood under the other wheel to make it perfectly level.  I measured it with the tank empty (including reserve), and made all measurements three times.  The surface is flat.

For the WR, I got 128.7 front, and 139.6 rear for a total no-fuel weight of 268.3 lbs.  So with a full 2.1 gallon tank, I'm probably about 281 lb.  Now that's a manly weight!

This is a 2011 WR450F with the following stuff that isn't stock:

- Fasst Flexx 15 deg bars

- Cycra ProBend guards with the low-profile enduro shields

- Scotts stabilizer with BRP handlebar mounts (sub-mount system)

- Mohard Racing radiator guards

- TM Designs skid plate

- Tubliss tire systems front and rear

- FMF Megabomb pipe and Q4 muffler

- SSS forks in place of the stock WR forks

- A little extra wiring for dual-sport stuff that I generally leave off (tail light removed also)

- Acerbis plastics with graphics

- Tusk fuel cap

- WC hour meter with mounting bracket (hey, that's at least 1.5 ounces of sprung weight)

Yes, it is a battleship and even though I would love for it to weigh less, electric start comes in super handy at times (although I do think a Rekluse would be a good alternative to that, but it's still nice sometimes when you're exhausted and sitting somewhere precarious and can just hit the button instead of kicking), kickstands are also super handy when there's not a moto stand or tree or anything nearby, and all the extra protection is pretty much a requirement for where I ride/race most of the time (for my riding ability, especially).  I could do without the Flexx bars, but not the stabilizer.  

So then I measured my YZ250 (two stroke) while I was out there, and got 110.1 front and 118.9 rear for a total of 229.0 lbs (probably about 242 lbs full of fuel with the stock tank) - and that's with Cycra ProBends, EE radiator guards, 13 oz FWW, Rekluse, HD tubes, and a Leo Vince silencer (but no skid plate).  As a point of interest, Yamaha lists the "wet weight" on their site (all fluids including gas) as 227.  I would not have guessed I added 15 lbs of stuff, but I guess it adds up.

Between the two bikes, I'm faster, have more fun, and generally do everything better on the YZ, but a decent part of that is probably due to the FC valving front and rear which is oh so nice.  But despite that, a 40 lb difference is nothing to shake a stick at.

• GP1K

Posted September 02, 2014 - 06:33 PM

There's actually a very good reason for me saying that in regards to MLCG, I'm not just pissing in his cheerios. Maybe read the whole thread and understand the context next time before you post.

And I absolutely stand by my statement that the rider makes way more of a difference than the bike. If you don't get that, it speaks volumes.

Edited by GP1K, September 02, 2014 - 06:33 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jonesy11

Posted September 02, 2014 - 07:13 PM

There's actually a very good reason for me saying that in regards to MLCG, I'm not just pissing in his cheerios. Maybe read the whole thread and understand the context next time before you post.

And I absolutely stand by my statement that the rider makes way more of a difference than the bike. If you don't get that, it speaks volumes.

I get that it mostly rider. but like I was trying to explaine that's only to a certain point. A ttr230 has no suspension to go through 3' whoops or the power to get up big nasty rutted hill climbs. That's what mixed in on my local singletrack heaven. That's when we started with Ivan. I would put money that a pro on my wife's ttr230 would lose to me on my wr450 in the desert. When I took wife's bike out it seriously started falling apart first beating it full throttle threw whoops for a couple miles I look down and cam chain cover was missing. Oil everywhere. I fix that then handlebars came loose. Then the fork seals blew just clapping metal on forks. Then broke chain guide pos off. While the swingarm sounded like it was going to fall off. Just not built for open desert or whoops.

Edited by Jonesy11, September 02, 2014 - 07:26 PM.

• avlisj

Posted September 03, 2014 - 07:44 AM

I get that it mostly rider. but like I was trying to explaine that's only to a certain point. A ttr230 has no suspension to go through 3' whoops or the power to get up big nasty rutted hill climbs. That's what mixed in on my local singletrack heaven. That's when we started with Ivan. I would put money that a pro on my wife's ttr230 would lose to me on my wr450 in the desert. When I took wife's bike out it seriously started falling apart first beating it full throttle threw whoops for a couple miles I look down and cam chain cover was missing. Oil everywhere. I fix that then handlebars came loose. Then the fork seals blew just clapping metal on forks. Then broke chain guide pos off. While the swingarm sounded like it was going to fall off. Just not built for open desert or whoops.

Your taking the 230 challenge too literally. He's saying a good rider on a underpowered under spring bike can use his skills to maintain speed through the turns. Maximizing traction. Never touching the brakes. Crawl up snotty rutty hills without chopping the throttle at the sight of a rut will be a faster more competent rider. Go to a riding school. Learn to ride your 450 like a trials bike and maximize the power it has. It's got plenty. Low end snap just makes you spin your tire more

• GP1K

Posted September 03, 2014 - 07:49 AM

Yes of course at some point you can make it lopsided enough where the bike matters. But in your example, that's probably how extreme you'd have to go: a pro on a TT230 vs you on your WR450. Anything even remotely close and the pro smokes you, no offense. There's a big race here in WA every year called the Desert 100. It's two 50 mile laps across the eastern WA desert, which is about as close to SoCal as you're gonna get in WA. Ricky Russell won it last year in commanding fashion, stomping the competition on his personal YZ250F (not his usual GNCC bike). It had also been intentionally geared by his team for a modest top speed. Point being, he smoked a lot of seriously fast guys on 450s, 250/300 2Ts, etc. in a desert race that definitely favors the bigger bikes. He's just that good.

Open desert with big whoops is kind of a cherry picked example of pure speed where suspension matters a LOT. Try some tight single track where that's not as much of an issue and I guarantee a pro rides circles around you on a TTR230. And since MLCG says all he rides is woods/single track, that's what's relevant here. And in those conditions, rider/skill makes more of a difference than the bike.

• stevethe

Posted September 03, 2014 - 07:52 AM

Your taking the 230 challenge too literally. He's saying a good rider on a underpowered under spring bike can use his skills to maintain speed through the turns. Maximizing traction. Never touching the brakes. Crawl up snotty rutty hills without chopping the throttle at the sight of a rut will be a faster more competent rider. Go to a riding school. Learn to ride your 450 like a trials bike and maximize the power it has. It's got plenty. Low end snap just makes you spin your tire more

Um low end 4t torque doesn't spin the wheel more. It torques out of turns, up hills so forth. It's when a bike is missing something down low you have to clutch it to get over that weak point and get on the power-torque band.

But your sure right about better rider skills. It's almost all about the rider. Not that I don't want to make my bikes all the better. I don't like weak spots in the power band. Especially off idle or down low.

• beezer

Posted September 03, 2014 - 08:26 AM

A buddy has a BBR/TTR 230 that he rides every once in a while just to irritate people.

When he's on it I see him for about 3 turns.

• avlisj

Posted September 03, 2014 - 08:43 AM

Um low end 4t torque doesn't spin the wheel more. It torques out of turns, up hills so forth. It's when a bike is missing something down low you have to clutch it to get over that weak point and get on the power-torque band.

But your sure right about better rider skills. It's almost all about the rider. Not that I don't want to make my bikes all the better. I don't like weak spots in the power band. Especially off idle or down low.

Torque can also come from throttle control and/ or downshifting. Not to many people need more than a uncorked 450 could give them
You'll loop your bike or spin out before it runs out of torque
Flats spots should be jetting or mapping issues.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 03, 2014 - 08:45 AM

GP1K, I'm tired of reading your B$.  Its never ending.

This is a bike specific forum, ie for topics concerning the WR450F.  This particular thread is about removing weight from WR450Fs.   Do you have any information to contribute to that topic ?  

I'm tired of you bringing up rider ability. Rider ability is ALWAYS a factor.  How could it not be ?  This is not the forum to discuss rider ability.  If you want to discuss rider ability, go do it in the Off Road Riding Technique forum.  Here is a link. http://www.thumperta...ding-technique/

This endless discussion about who is faster and how much the bike matters is baseless.  It serves no purpose on this forum and it doesn't belong here.

Please take it elsewhere, specifically, out of my threads.

Thank you.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 03, 2014 - 09:05 AM.

• avlisj

Posted September 03, 2014 - 08:59 AM

Sorry I got side tracked
My posts should be for the OP who wanted more snap in the bottom of his wr
I digress
Gp1k pulled my in
My bad

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 03, 2014 - 09:04 AM

I started a thread where this discussion can continue.

http://www.thumperta...hread-for-gp1k/

• GP1K

Posted September 03, 2014 - 10:00 AM

GP1K, I'm tired of reading your B$.  Its never ending.

This is a bike specific forum, ie for topics concerning the WR450F.  This particular thread is about removing weight from WR450Fs.   Do you have any information to contribute to that topic ?  

I'm tired of you bring up rider ability. Rider ability is ALWAYS a factor.  How could it not be ?  This is not the forum to discuss rider ability.  If you want to discuss rider ability, go do it in the Off Road Riding Technique forum.  Here is a link. http://www.thumperta...ding-technique/

This endless discussion about who is faster and how much the bike matters is baseless.  It serves no purpose on this forum and it doesn't belong here.

Please take it elsewhere, specifically, out of my threads.

Thank you.

For starters, it feels like we have the same conversation going in several threads, which is confusing for everyone, myself included. So yes, we are  way off-topic for this particular thread.

I bring up rider ability purely because you seem set on solving riding issues with bike mods (YZ cams) when it's really a rider/skill issue. Early on I asked you exactly what that mod was going to do for you, how was it going to help you go faster in the woods? You ignored the question, and it's definitely a legitimate one. You did mention something about 'holding 3rd up hills' like somehow more top end was going to help with that. Do you really, honestly think the reason you're not getting up a hill in a gear you think you should is because your bike is lacking in power?

You're a tinkerer... I get it. But how does that explain your stubborn refusal to tune your FI, one of the easiest, best and NECESSARY (if you've uncorked your bike) mods you can do. Nobody in their right mind would uncork a carb'ed bike and not rejet it and expect it to run right. FI is no different. Yet you flatly ignore everyone telling you to do that, and plow ahead with your cams thing, also steeped in denial that cams designed to increase top end also tend to decrease bottom end. Your 'theories' fly in the face of logic, common sense and the experience of many, many people ho have been there and done that already. And yet you're surprised and get all pissy when someone calls you out on it?

So no, I won't take it elsewhere, and I won't stop calling you out either.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

New to the SM world by Kegger_92

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  55 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.