My WR450 25 pound trim off...

Yamaha WR450F

434 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 27, 2014 - 08:10 AM

Yes I replaced the bolts, I used some sprocket bolts counter sunk in the plate.

Steel is steel it's only hard if you don't have the proper tools; bench vise, drill press, hammer, muscles.

The primary leads have a coupling, and basically you just have to route it in the same fashion under the tank, just from the other side.

I checked the newer bikes out last night, pre 12+ YZ use a coil on plug setup and the 12+ YZ mount the coil to the frame down spar right between the radiators, they can because of the rear slant engine and the intake track goes upward from the front of the engine.

I had been following your bike lightening routine as well, I never weighed mine but it did make a difference on the trail.  I could out climb anything once I figured out the clutch.  But then I crashed, bad, have since decided to dual sport my bike so everything went back on and then some.  I haven't rode since Valentines day so i'm itching to get out there and see the difference the weight makes.  My advice to all us aging kids... keep riding till you can't, then, just slow down.

Some transformer steels are extremely hard and can't be drilled by normal means.  Happy to hear the coil mount isn't made of those.

The coil on lug design was abandoned with the move to FI.   The new coil used on the 2012+ WRs, the 2010+ YZ450F and the 2014+ YZ250Fs.  I checked the electrical specs of the coil on plug.  It is NOT compatible with the FI ECU.

Sorry to hear about your crash.  I'm a safety first rider, I have nothing to prove.  No big crashes since I bought the bike a year ago.  Presently my right shoulder is sore, but I can't attribute that to a big crash.

My advice to all us aging kids... keep riding till you can't, then, just slow down.

That is great advice.   Once you stop doing something because its hard, you'll stop doing it forever.  Do whatever it takes to keep riding.

I've been doing a bit of cross training this summer.  30 miles a week on a hybrid bicycle and 1 challenging trail ride every weekend.  Its been great.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, August 27, 2014 - 08:11 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 27, 2014 - 01:34 PM

You know, I did not verify the gas like I thought I did.

I will have to re-meause

I thought I topped them all off, but when I looked today.....not.

• KennyMc

Posted August 27, 2014 - 01:45 PM

Would be interested to know the front tire and back tire weights. I just can't see how they would be that far off (your WR to mine). Maybe I am f'n something up but it's not rocket science. Push the front tire onto the scale and take the reading...rinse and repeat for the back.

• KennyMc

Posted August 28, 2014 - 12:56 PM

Anybody gonna take the weight challenge? :lol:

• stevethe

Posted August 28, 2014 - 02:38 PM

Fat chicks hate scales.

• GP1K

Posted August 28, 2014 - 02:38 PM

Anybody gonna take the weight challenge? :lol:

I tried it with my KTM last night for yuks.

2014 KTM 250 XCF-W

123 + 134 = 257 lbs

KTM claimed wet weight, minus fuel = 232.6 lbs

I have about a half tank of gas in it, so add say 6.5 lbs. = 239.1 lbs

I have Cycra bark busters, BRP top bar clamp mount for Scotts damper (and damper, of course), Unabiker rad guards, plastic KTM skid plate, and a rear grab strap. That's the only weight I've added.

Somehow I doubt all that stuff adds up to 18 lbs, but maybe? So either I did it wrong, it's inaccurate doing one wheel at a time on a bathroom scale, or KTM's listed weight is off.

I'll try to do my WR soon as well.

Edited by GP1K, August 28, 2014 - 05:43 PM.

• KennyMc

Posted August 28, 2014 - 02:45 PM

I tried it with my KTM last night for yuks.

123 + 134 = 257 lbs

KTM claimed wet weight, minus fuel = 232.6 lbs

I have about a half tank of gas in it, so add say 6.5 lbs. = 239.1 lbs

I have Cycra bark busters, BRP top bar clamp mount for Scotts damper (and damper, of course), Unabiker rad guards, plastic KTM skid plate, and a rear grab strap. That's the only weight I've added.

Somehow I doubt all that stuff adds up to 18 lbs, but maybe? So either I did it wrong, it's inaccurate doing one wheel at a time on a bathroom scale, or KTM's listed weight is off.

I'll try to do my WR soon as well.

Well, I wouldn't think this method would be more than +/- a lbs or 2 at the most.  If you get the exact same height board to put the opposite wheel on so as to not force any additional weight to the other tire it can't be off a material amount.  Just my thinking though....I didn't stay at a Marriot Express or anything :goofy:

• KennyMc

Posted August 28, 2014 - 02:47 PM

Fat chicks hate scales.

So don't get on the bike :p   It's just an interesting exercise to see if the weights we think and espouse on the inter-web are actually anything close to actual.

• GP1K

Posted August 28, 2014 - 03:27 PM

Well, I wouldn't think this method would be more than +/- a lbs or 2 at the most.  If you get the exact same height board to put the opposite wheel on so as to not force any additional weight to the other tire it can't be off a material amount.  Just my thinking though....I didn't stay at a Marriot Express or anything :goofy:

I did use a 2x4 on the non-scale wheel. It was pretty close in height.

I don't think all my armor/damper weighs 18 lbs, but it probably does weigh around 10 or so? So that would put me within 8 or so pounds of what KTM lists. I'll post up my WR numbers when I get a chance to weigh it.

• cracker please

Posted August 28, 2014 - 03:36 PM

I think when they say "dry weight" they mean no fluids at all, not just empty gas tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted August 28, 2014 - 03:51 PM

I think when they say "dry weight" they mean no fluids at all, not just empty gas tank.

Yeah so there would prolly be a quart of motor oil some radiator fluid and some brake fluid.

• cracker please

Posted August 28, 2014 - 04:18 PM

Probly about a quart in the forks and shock too.

• GP1K

Posted August 28, 2014 - 04:25 PM

Thankfully nobody uses the old 'dry weight' anymore. The Big 4 have all gone to 'wet weight' to include full of all fluids, full tank of gas, ready to ride. KTM is same but no gas. Not sure on Husky or other boutique brands.

• stevethe

Posted August 28, 2014 - 04:26 PM

If your going to do it you might go with a empty tank. Since some are large tanks. Also list what bike you have. There are lots of KTM's and WR's.

• GP1K

Posted August 28, 2014 - 05:44 PM

If your going to do it you might go with a empty tank. Since some are large tanks. Also list what bike you have. There are lots of KTM's and WR's.

2014 KTM 250 XCF-W

I edited my previous post to reflect that as well.

• Navaho6

Posted August 28, 2014 - 05:46 PM

Trimming weight is well worth it but a good suspension job will work wonders on the new '12+ WR too.  Stock suspension is good but can be a lot better.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 29, 2014 - 08:57 PM

I moved my ignition coil to the same place openbook215 did, except that I removed one of the embedded nuts on the engine mount and placed the coil inside the engine mount.  There is about 1/4" of clearance between the coil and the engine.  Its about 1/2" inside the frame now, pretty protected.

I removed the rubber boot from mine as well.

Total weight lost was 0.44 pounds.  I kid you not, though I should have maybe left a bit more steel for the magnetic circuit.

My bike now weighs 239.06 pounds without fuel.

The advertised weight of a 2014 KTM 350 XCF is 237.4 pounds without fuel and it doesn't come with a skid plate.

I installed 20mm offset triple clamps as well.

I have (poor) pictures of the coil setup if anyone wants to see them.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, August 29, 2014 - 09:17 PM.

• KennyMc

Posted August 29, 2014 - 10:14 PM

I moved my ignition coil to the same place openbook215 did, except that I removed one of the embedded nuts on the engine mount and placed the coil inside the engine mount.  There is about 1/4" of clearance between the coil and the engine.  Its about 1/2" inside the frame now, pretty protected.

Total weight lost was 0.44 pounds.  I kid you not, though I should have maybe left a bit more steel for the magnetic circuit.

The advertised weight of a 2014 KTM 350 XCF is 237.4 pounds without fuel and it doesn't come with a skid plate.

Have you actually weighed your bike?

• stevethe

Posted August 30, 2014 - 05:30 AM

Yup you need to weigh the bike. However I have seen wishful internet weighing before.  :smashpc: 

• KennyMc

Posted August 30, 2014 - 06:23 AM

Yup you need to weigh the bike. However I have seen wishful internet weighing before. :smashpc:

Yeah, it's the honor system. Any idea how accurate the truck scales would be for something that weighs ~250lbs? There are 2 public scales within 5 miles from me, been thinking about talking to them to get there opinion on it. I have taken my Motorhome to one and weighed it multiple ways (left front, right front, both...etc) to get an idea how the weight was distributed. Just wonder how they handle lighter weights. It wasn't that expensive. I think I'll inquire.....

Edited by KennyMc, August 30, 2014 - 06:23 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

WR450F Supermoto, Old vs New? by MtnDrew

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

• Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

• Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

• Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods - last post by Super_Davee

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.