09 450f oil pressure

5 replies to this topic
  • rob the snail

Posted September 12, 2013 - 10:21 PM

have just done a big bore kit on a 09 450 and now it seems there is no oil pressure...

when i unscrew the bleeder on the side of the head no oil comes out and the oil galleries are not blocked...

when i crack the oil filter inspection drain plug, oil pisses out.

there does not seem to be oil getting up to the top end....all gaskets are correct and no gasket cement was used.....am at wits end.....pls can i get help

cheers rob

• rob the snail

Posted September 12, 2013 - 10:25 PM

ps i have been meticulous and the bikes history has been 2 blowups before i bought it, it was blown when i got it

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2013 - 06:42 AM

Have you ever looked at the oil pump?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rob the snail

Posted September 13, 2013 - 02:46 PM

yep. it seems to be okay. this has me stumped :jawdrop:

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Both oil pumps?  The one in the case (the return pump) and the one in the small housing that covers that (the feed pump)?

Does it have the OEM oil pump cover on it with the safety tab sticking out on the inside at the center?  If it has a Ready Racing cover (identified by an "R" on a black cover, you can install the oil filter backward and block off oil feed to the engine past that point. 

If the feed pump is OK, then you need to verify that the oil passages are clear by pushing oil through them from one end to the other.  Get an old gear lube bottle, or any other plastic bottle with one of the conical "squirt" tops on it, fill it with oil, and force it though the oil passages at the pump cover flange.  Review the oil diagrams in the manual.

Another possibility is that the return doesn't work, so when you fill the crankcase with oil, it never gets moved to the oil reservoir in the front of the engine so that it can reach the feed pump.

• rob the snail

Posted September 14, 2013 - 05:32 PM

cheers i was not aware or it having 2 pumps

i will go suss it out

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.