Fork Seals and Pitted Tube Problem

5 replies to this topic
  • desertwalker62

Posted September 12, 2013 - 08:28 PM

So i am borrowing someones WR that has been sitting in a garage in the desert for years... rarely getting rid... rode it once and the rear shock seal started leaking pretty good, so off it went to get serviced... very minor amount of seeping/dust collecting at fork seals (but forks acted horribly).   i went for a VERY muddy desert ride last weekend, washed the bike with a high pressure garden hose, soaked/washed my boots and stashed them under a table... went to ride few days later after boots had "dried", pull 'em out and right is covered in what appears to be oil, left has a little... i thought i cracked the case or cover looked everywhere, checked oil... all good so went riding... at the first stop i could see all the fork oil POURING down the tubes...

anyway.... i thought old seals and lots of mud... new seals and fluid will be awesome and got to it...  the craziness occurred as i was cleaning the fork before beginning dis-assembly... i noticed the inner fork tube way down low was GNARLY rust pocks.. raised, rugged and no wonder i had a gusher!! not an isolated thing either... like 3"-4" tall x almost 2" wide.... lots of little pits that rusted and became raised...

the stranger thing is that the damaged area on BOTH tubes is in the absolute BEST PROTECTED AREA by those white plastic guards... dead front center and down low.... completely covered by the protector...

SO HOW DID THIS HAPPEN????

i sanded it down with fine emory paper... WAY better, nothing raised or rusted, but LOTS of minor low pits...  did the rain we got last week cause all this rusting??? were the pits caused by mud packing in there?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 12, 2013 - 08:43 PM

If you don't ride them, they corrode. 

The forks, the shock, the barrel, the carb, etc.

Not washing and WD-40'ing the bike after every ride is very hard on the fine surfaces.

• KennyMc

Posted September 12, 2013 - 11:11 PM

If you are talking the bottom, say 1 to 1 1/2 inch, mine were that way as well. It looked like they were sand blasted but it was behind the fork protector. RG3 couldn't explain it either other than to say maybe bad chrome job. I am religious about washing my bike after every ride. Never been in mud. And it's not really in a place that water gets trapped and can stay. It would just flow out the bottom of the fork protector.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desertwalker62

Posted September 13, 2013 - 07:44 AM

If you are talking the bottom, say 1 to 1 1/2 inch, mine were that way as well. It looked like they were sand blasted but it was behind the fork protector.

exactly... lots of pits very bottom and center of fork protector....

• KennyMc

Posted September 13, 2013 - 08:04 AM

exactly... lots of pits very bottom and center of fork protector....

Yep, baffling.  Not somewhere you would expect to see something like that.  Nothing should collect there.  Nothing would hit there while riding or get stuck in there and rattle around.  Mine didn't sit for more than 2 weeks at a time.  Happened to both sides.  I ended up replaceing both lower tubes about a year ago.

BTW, what year WR?  My tubes are for an '07+.  Nice, shiney, no scratches, no dents, nice and purdy, just sitting in the garage since I just put YZ forks on :thinking:

• desertwalker62

Posted September 13, 2013 - 11:28 AM

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.