What's the deal??

5 replies to this topic
  • Amador

Posted December 17, 2001 - 07:07 AM

Guys,

O.K., I wrote a few weeks ago about some milky fluid coming from my breather hose. We determined that because I was riding through alot of water, it mixed with the oil dripping from the hose and caused this. I stopped worrying. The other night I did some work on my bike and when I was done I went for a victory lap around the block (neighbors love that),it was totally dry outside. When I got home, I noticed this fluid coming from the breather again. So I posted here again, and we either determind that it was the water pump cover seal or the head gasket. Here's why I'm still confused. I drained the oil and it was perfect. No oil/water sepertation, no funny colors or anything. I filled her back up, took here for a spin, and there it is agian! Thanks for any help in resolving this nagging problem.

Chris

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 17, 2001 - 07:20 AM

It's normal to have some oil at the end of the breather. Is the oil a funny color? Pull out the dipstick and look closely at the oil which is still in the resovoir. This is the oil that gets pumped through the motor so this is what you should check on.

As for the oil that the end of the breather, it has probably mixed with so much stuff that there is no telling where it gets its color from. As long as the radiator is full (not loosing any fluid),the oil on the dipstick looks ok and you have no reason to fear that there is water in the motor (didn't ride through any water, etc..) then I would say you're ok as far as water in the oil goes.

• OnThePipe

Posted December 17, 2001 - 08:48 AM

I don't think it's any reason to panic as I too have experienced the same milky oil coming from the hose occasionally. It's obviously due to condensation or water in the end of the breather hose since the oil on the disptick and the oil I drain has never exhibited any water seepage problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vznx1w

Posted December 17, 2001 - 08:57 AM

Amador,

I agree with sirthumpalot. Moisture is a normal by-product of combustion and can build up in the oil. Normally, this moisture is removed when the oil gets hot enough/long enough to evaporate the moisture allowing it to vent out the breather tube. However during repeated short rides or during cold weather the moisture can accumulate. This can lead to a milky appearance for the oil in areas such as the breather hose or the inside of the valve cover. If you're not losing coolant just give the beast a good long/hard ride and "boil" all that nasty condensation out of the oil!!
Steve

• dezracer

Posted December 17, 2001 - 09:04 AM

MY 02 426 DOES THE SAME THING AND IT'S ONLY 3 WEEKS OLD. I SPOKE WITH THE GUYS AT BEACH YAMAHA AND THEY SAID IT IS COMPLETLEY NORMAL. IT'S CAUSED FROM CONDENSATION IN THE OIL AND IN THE BREATHER TUBE(SO HE SAYS). HOPE THIS HELPS :)

• Amador

Posted December 17, 2001 - 10:55 PM

Excellent new guys! Thanks for your help....again!

Chris

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.