2012 yz450 stinkbug

10 replies to this topic
  • Mtrain730

Posted September 11, 2013 - 04:08 PM

I don't understand why I hear people saying the yz450 rides low in the front. I might be wrong I'm just expressing how it feels too me and its Been a few years since I had a bike and am new too the track but if any thing it feels high in the front and doesn't compress much with rider weight is this cause I only weigh 165( with out gear). I am actually struggling too get the front too bite in and not push. It doesn't seem like too many people are raising there forks on these bikes but I am the only one in my small circle of riding friends that has one of these generation bikes. I do believe I'm on the edge of needing softer springs. Thoughts opinions appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2013 - 04:20 PM

That's the same problem we were discussing in your thread regarding suspension setup.  The bike's a little stiff for you, and isn't settling over the front wheel as much as it should as you initiate your turn. That leads to too much head angle as you start the turn, and thus the push.  Pulling your forks up until you change the springs out will probably help this. 

Haven't seen a direct comment on the stock bars on the '14 yet, but Yamaha has a history of putting really low bars on their bikes over the last several years.  Most of them have needed a bar around 10mm higher and farther forward to work well.  More than that if you're tall. 

• Mtrain730

Posted September 11, 2013 - 04:40 PM

Thanks gray. That's kind of what I thought. Sorry for the similar post any recommendations on bars. I'm about 5 foot 10. I realize I have too work on body position the bars do feel awkward when I try too get up real far on the bike. It seems like People don't recommend rolling them forward any amount of distance in the clamp.

• grayracer513

Posted September 12, 2013 - 07:01 AM

If you're 5'10", you probably need bars that are a bit higher and farther forward.  Rolling them forward more than just a little is objectionable to me and a lot of others because the makes the ends of the bars turn up, which puts your wrists in a bad position, thumbs down, palms out.  Awkward.  

One of the measurements that's almost never listed is how far the grips are behind the clamp area when the grip section is flat through both the fore/aft and lateral planes.  One measure of this on the bike is how they feel when you stand upright and balanced on the pegs.  If the bars are too far back, the grips are too close to your legs to feel as if you have control, and you more often move your hips back to give your arms some room.  That leaves you "hanging back" on the bars instead of centered over the bike, and will fatigue you quite a bit quicker, aside from getting in the way of cornering.  The Henry/Reed bend is like that, IMO; good height, but too far to the rear.

My own favorite is the Windham bend (aka "RM Mid").  It's a little tall for me (I'm about your size, but with long legs and a short torso), but I really like the way that the more forward position improves control and creates more room to  move forward on the bike.  They're also a little bit wide, but that's easy.

One way of comparing bars off the bike is to turn them upside down on a bench with the grip section flat on the surface.  You can then compare not only the height, but the set back of the grip from the clamp area.

• Mtrain730

Posted September 12, 2013 - 11:01 AM

Thanks gray I think eventually I will look into trying out another set of bars . Maybe the the windams or the Reed Henry bend. Ill have too take a look and find the specs on the the stock ones so I don't get bars that are almost the same. I want more forward and slightly higher. If the reed Henry is in the middle hight wise of the windams and stock but more forward than stock sounds like they might be a good fit too . I have rolled my bars way forward and actually loved how the bike handled for a quick test run but did roll them back from hearing how not too do that. Again thank you very much.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zeuszuki

Posted September 12, 2013 - 11:30 AM

Thanks gray I think eventually I will look into trying out another set of bars . Maybe the the windams or the Reed Henry bend. Ill have too take a look and find the specs on the the stock ones so I don't get bars that are almost the same. I want more forward and slightly higher. If the reed Henry is in the middle hight wise of the windams and stock but more forward than stock sounds like they might be a good fit too . I have rolled my bars way forward and actually loved how the bike handled for a quick test run but did roll them back from hearing how not too do that. Again thank you very much.

I a 5'10 , on my 11 I set the bars in forward triple clamp position / rear post orientation ( bars end up lined up along middle of fork looking down ) , have you tried this ? Bars set at zero setting.

• Mtrain730

Posted September 12, 2013 - 12:50 PM

Yes I have and still feel I could get farther forward if my bars allowed it when I am realy trying too be aggressive in a corner. I just flipped the clamps around so now there mounted as far forward as possible but havnt got too ride it yet. What my problem boils down too is not being able too stay hard on the gas going into a turn. But I'll keep playing with stuff. Again I'm new too racing but not completely new too dirt bikes I have owned a couple threw out the years. Im not looking for perfection but I feel my attention needs too be in my cornering both in what I'm doing as a rider and bike set up.

• zeuszuki

Posted September 12, 2013 - 04:13 PM

Yes I have and still feel I could get farther forward if my bars allowed it when I am realy trying too be aggressive in a corner. I just flipped the clamps around so now there mounted as far forward as possible but havnt got too ride it yet. What my problem boils down too is not being able too stay hard on the gas going into a turn. But I'll keep playing with stuff. Again I'm new too racing but not completely new too dirt bikes I have owned a couple threw out the years. Im not looking for perfection but I feel my attention needs too be in my cornering both in what I'm doing as a rider and bike set up.

To get my '11 the best I could in the corners I set it up riding a little high at the back, the trade off was that it kicked a little in the back on the face of jumps, I just weighted the rear a little on the face to compensate .
Then I bought a '14 - the two bikes are night and day.
The '10-'13 are great bikes and can be dialed in to work well but the stock '14 is quite a step up .

• Mtrain730

Posted September 12, 2013 - 04:57 PM

I just softened the compression in the front and raised the forks 5 mm in the clamps ill hopefully get too take a spin tomm. If I can get the bike too handle decent I'm sure it will be more than capable for my ability. Just started racing novice. The bike was a left over only had it for about 10 months. I think if I told my wife I was gonna trade it in already i would be in divorce court. Lol. Glad too hear you can make it decent with some work as there is a lot of negativity surrounding the handling of this generation yz.

• tjg53

Posted September 15, 2013 - 06:57 AM

I just changed fork spring on my bike , i had the suspension valved a few years ago , and could not get it to turn ! The shop that did the work put 49`s in , stock was 47`s , well it didn`t turn with the 47`s , or the 49`s , but they said 49`s were right. After struggling with it for it seem like years lol. i went with 48`s , guess what it urns now. I had to chance the clickers a little but it works , and turn great.  If you think its to stiff go with lighter springs , i think lighter is better than benig to stiff. Look a race-tect for the right sprinds.

• Mtrain730

Posted September 15, 2013 - 07:34 AM

The softer springs might help the not sure what your weight is. I had the clickers set firm. I don't think that was doin me any favors. I dropped the forks in the clamps a little more moved the the bars up as far as I could and set the clickers back too stock. And I think it turns the best but that was just blasting around behind my house. So it may be a lot different at the track. I also need it too be stable at some rough high speed straits at the local track I go too.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.