Petcock issue? '03 WR450

4 replies to this topic
  • ack1961

Posted September 11, 2013 - 11:45 AM

All,

I had my '03 WR450 out for it's first ride since shimming the valves.  I had it up at elevation (Brushy Mountain, NC) and it ran like a beast...except it would randomly stall and wouldn't re-fire.  It was perplexing.  When it wouldn't re-fire, I switched the petcock from On to Reserve and it would light.  It ran great the rest of the day on Reserve.  

After that day's riding, I shut Off the petcock. The next morning, I just (habitually) set the petcock to On.  After about 10 minutes of riding, it stalled again and wouldn't re-light.  I put the petcock back to Reserve and it fixed the issue.

So I'm thinking that the petcock may be gummed up or there may be some foreign matter stuck in the valve.

The strange part is that I had given my KDX220 to a buddy to ride that weekend, and the same thing happened - luckily, I was there when he was kicking the crap out of the starter, and I switched it over to Reserve and it ran great.  Both bike run 93+ gas (with 15% Ethanol) out of the same pump, and I pre-mix my 2-strokes with Amsoil Dominator.

Can this just be a problem caused by Ethanol?  A few of my riding buddies run 100+/No Ethanol gas and they didn't have the same luck I did.

I'll be taking the petcocks off and apart later this week, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Steve

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 11, 2013 - 03:24 PM

You found the problem the first time you went to reserve: open the gas cap and look inside the tank....it's full of crap, blocking the lower gas supply line.

You MUST treat your gas if you want your bikes carb to stay un-corroded. It only takes two weeks.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ack1961

Posted September 11, 2013 - 03:39 PM

You found the problem the first time you went to reserve: open the gas cap and look inside the tank....it's full of crap, blocking the lower gas supply line.

You MUST treat your gas if you want your bikes carb to stay un-corroded. It only takes two weeks.....

Thanks for the reply...I'm sure you're right.  I'll have a look in them on Friday and clean all the tanks out.

Do you have a preferred Ethanol treatment product? I see that Lucas Oil makes "Safeguard", but have never tried it.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 11, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Lucas is good.

Tri-G is good

Seafoam E is good

You need to remove the float bowl of your carb to look for further corrision

• ack1961

Posted September 12, 2013 - 02:47 AM

Lucas is good.

Tri-G is good

Seafoam E is good

You need to remove the float bowl of your carb to look for further corrision

Thanks for the list.

I had the carb apart prior to the last ride because it sat for a while - that varnish gets everywhere, but cleans up pretty easily.

I'm also told that it takes its toll on black/rubber fuel line.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.