What engines will fit in a 2003 frame?

1 reply to this topic
  • CTC_Killer

Posted September 10, 2013 - 05:13 AM

Hey TT, I'm new here, I searched the FAQ's and dint find an answer, plus I'm on a dinky smart phone, and some functions don't work, namely the search function. But, my question inquiry is about a 2003 yz450. I want to make it a street legal motard, since I live on the tail of the dragon us129. Finding an eline stator will take too long, and I'm not opposed to doing the left side swap for the wr stator, but if I were to have acces to a wr450 engine, would it just bolt up to the frame? I'd try to find an '06 and up so I'd have a 5spd tranny, but are there mounting issues with the frame mount locations?

Thanks for any help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2013 - 06:52 AM

First, there is no bolt on swap for the use of the '03-'06 WR flywheel/stator for the '03-'05 YZ450.  That job requires the crank and crankcases from the WR, along with another pile of parts.  Your best bet is a used WR engine from '03-'06, and that will also get you the 5 speed.

The '06+ YZ450 or '07+ WR engines can be bolted in, but they have a lot of clearance issues around the carb and top end because those engines stand more upright in the frame.  I would not recommend that you attempt that.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.