bog sometimes?

6 replies to this topic
  • rogo1

Posted September 10, 2013 - 01:50 AM

00 426f stock rejetted for elevation. so here's the deal, been reading a good bit on this and cant seem to nail it down. sometimes its fine on accel others its not. I do a lot of trail riding, and so far this bike has worked pretty well for everything, with the exception of the occasional stall due to operator error. it doesn't seem to matter if I roll on the throttle or just crack it full open sometimes it'll stand right up, other times I get a bog with slower acceleration. here's my question, which mod will work best for this bike? the bk, the o-ring, or the taffy mod to cure the bog completely? thanks in advance

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2013 - 08:15 AM

If you read the two mods, the Taffy mod specifically states it is only for the YZ400, and the BK mod is only for the 426.  Before doing either, be sure that the carb is thoroughly clean, and that the pump diaphragm and both pump check balls are in good shape and working right.  Then do the BK to start with.

• rogo1

Posted September 10, 2013 - 01:06 PM

thanks gray, i'll start with cleaning the carb real well again, and then i'll do the bk mod. appreciate the clarification on the mods.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2013 - 01:37 PM

Pay attention to the part about using a stiff bristle, fine wire, or a number drill on the pilot. 

• capt.270

Posted September 11, 2013 - 08:12 AM

you could also try a dial jet, it might help with the bogging. It helped on my 03 YZ450. they are like $10

• rogo1

Posted September 14, 2013 - 09:04 AM

a new pilot was installed about two months ago when I first got this bike, I cleaned the carb out but I would imagine I could've easily missed some crud as the bike had sat for some years with fuel in it. sat long enough for the fuel to completely evaporate, and leave a weird green residue everywhere that was really hard to remove

• Pooley

Posted September 17, 2013 - 11:16 AM

O-ring mod for sure.  Even with this mod, remember to check the timing of the AP squirt so that it does not hit the slide.  

I still ride my 01 WR426 and the O-ring was the single best performance mod I have done.  My carb is set up like a YZ for jetting and a disabled ACV so it would be identical to yours.  I still use WR timing however. The O-ring mod completely stopped the occasional surge or lean-bog off the bottom.  Which would happen, surge or bog, I could not predict most of the time and was really frustrating.  I had the BK mod for a while, but it really didn't seem to improve things much for me.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.