58 HP!

19 replies to this topic
  • Joe_Jet

Posted September 06, 2013 - 03:56 PM

Holy crap! That's what MXA dynoed the 14 at. Most powerful 450 ever.

• kx1984

Posted September 06, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Where is the test ?  You already get the Mag or is it online?

• Rocket416

Posted September 06, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Where is the test ? You already get the Mag or is it online?

Got mine in the mail today. Seems as though once they got the bike set up they really liked it. They put the Preston map, geared it down to a 50 or 51, adjusted the clickers, and put a different linkage arm to lower the rear. Said that the motor is awesome from bottom to the top once mapped.

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Naturally, I remain skeptical, because that's what I do.  I've heard 57 before, but only once.  58? For real? That would be some crazy stuff alright. 

This may explain some of the changes in the transmission.

• Joe_Jet

Posted September 06, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Got the Oct MXA Zinio download.

I know every dyno is different, but they did say it was the most powerful 450 they have tested on their dyno to date and yes, the power is spread better and the gaps filled.

• zeuszuki

Posted September 06, 2013 - 10:49 PM

Naturally, I remain skeptical, because that's what I do.  I've heard 57 before, but only once.  58? For real? That would be some crazy stuff alright. 

TBH Gray, after running mine in today I would not be surprised, it is an absolute power house. Very manageable though , if you open it up you better be hanging on !!!
I thought my '11 had some ponies .... But this is something else

• NEKOOHC

Posted September 06, 2013 - 10:53 PM

Just a dyno figure , try another dyno .

• rlucas1986

Posted September 07, 2013 - 07:39 AM

Actually I was surprised at how not impressed MXA seemed with the bike, especially after reading how Transworld Australia loved it. Transworld tested it against the 2014 Kawi (the 2013 was last years shootout winner) and it seemed like it was a toss-up between the two riders who tested the two bikes. Both magazines said the 2014 yz was a big improvement over the 2013, Transworld makes it seem like it possibly could be the 450mx bike of the year, whereas MXA didn't seem too impressed (except by the HP numbers).

I know the bikes sent to Australia are set up a little different than the ones sent to the US (fork settings, gearing), but not enough to make a huge difference. I always wonder why Yamaha's seem to do SO much better in Australia than in the US, professionally, some of the best racers race them, and win on them, and the general consensus seems to be that all of the YZ's are really liked (WR450f, YZ250f, and especially the YZ450F).

A part of me just thinks the aussie's didn't suffer from the negative placebo effect caused by James Stewart and the media.

• Itsbroken

Posted September 07, 2013 - 07:43 AM

It's not the number itself that is impressive it's the fact that it proved out as the highest HP ever on "THE" dyno that has tested them all. You can shop Dynos till you get the number you want but you can't compare it to anything. By using the same dyno year after year your data is comparable.

• zeuszuki

Posted September 07, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Actually I was surprised at how not impressed MXA seemed with the bike, especially after reading how Transworld Australia loved it. Transworld tested it against the 2014 Kawi (the 2013 was last years shootout winner) and it seemed like it was a toss-up between the two riders who tested the two bikes. Both magazines said the 2014 yz was a big improvement over the 2013, Transworld makes it seem like it possibly could be the 450mx bike of the year, whereas MXA didn't seem too impressed (except by the HP numbers).

I know the bikes sent to Australia are set up a little different than the ones sent to the US (fork settings, gearing), but not enough to make a huge difference. I always wonder why Yamaha's seem to do SO much better in Australia than in the US, professionally, some of the best racers race them, and win on them, and the general consensus seems to be that all of the YZ's are really liked (WR450f, YZ250f, and especially the YZ450F).

A part of me just thinks the aussie's didn't suffer from the negative placebo effect caused by James Stewart and the media.

I live in the Southern Hemisphere, it does appear the bikes we receive have a spec' that makes a difference. My '11 has a really angry ( stock ) motor making the leap to my '14 pretty easy. The '11s over here are the one's to get if you like that 'hit' .
I know for a fact there are suspension differences, maybe ecu on Yz's as well ? Never looked into it tbh
I know for a fact the injected Wr has different ecu etc, we get the 'competition' kit in the box with the bike, just a little uncorking and your away ( they are restricted for street legal 'learner approved' sale ).
I was a Yamaha mech' until the earthquakes :-/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • delmas

Posted September 07, 2013 - 06:20 PM

my mso states 58.7 and harris suspension dynoed it at over 60

• Joe_Jet

Posted September 09, 2013 - 02:45 AM

I think part of the handling issues aren't really handling issues. The YZ450 is putting out some brute power which directly affects handling if you dont control it properly. I do find myself using the clutch more on this bike than my 03,04, or 07, but it is to control the power not get it back on the pipe!

• hostile silence

Posted September 09, 2013 - 04:21 AM

i posted the 58hp number in a previous thread. i saw it in the motocross mag.

• hostile silence

Posted September 09, 2013 - 04:23 AM

Just a dyno figure , try another dyno .

if they are using the same dyno, it would all be comparable.

• ah665

Posted September 09, 2013 - 04:40 AM

MXA uses the same dyno for all their tests, which is what would make that hp number so impressive. I stand corrected on your initial thread a couple weeks ago, hostile silence. Very impressive numbers.

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2013 - 06:15 AM

i posted the 58hp number in a previous thread. i saw it in the motocross mag.

Still only the same two sources.  We shall see, though. 

• hostile silence

Posted September 09, 2013 - 02:31 PM

No worries. I knew I saw it somewhere, I wasnt taking it as scripture, but figured it seemed/"felt" accurate. The bike is a horse. Even stronger mapped... but I do need to dial the suspension.

MXA uses the same dyno for all their tests, which is what would make that hp number so impressive. I stand corrected on your initial thread a couple weeks ago, hostile silence. Very impressive numbers.

• galligar

Posted September 10, 2013 - 12:11 PM

I have a gtyr head/cam/14-1 piston etc 2010 yz & built 2013 crf ported cam etc the 14 yz mapped with fmf pipe 50 rear is really close to my modded bikes. Strongest stock motor I've ever rode. Map with a tooth up on the rear ,wow.

• Ron Hamp

Posted September 14, 2013 - 04:11 PM

The 2010 modell made around 50 hp on my dyno stock on pump gas with mapping and mods to the air inlet the bike went to 54 hp i was impressed 2 the time with cylinder head mods cams and a fmf pipe the bike ended up making over 61 hp.the 2014 has new porting and bigger valves  and a better lay out for the stock pipe im sure they worked on the intakes system the mxa dyno reads over 2 hp more than my dyno with a 450 on it so im sure that its making very good hp im getting a 450 this week from yamaha to test so i will see first hand.

• ghaden

Posted September 27, 2013 - 10:51 PM

The 2010 modell made around 50 hp on my dyno stock on pump gas with mapping and mods to the air inlet the bike went to 54 hp i was impressed 2 the time with cylinder head mods cams and a fmf pipe the bike ended up making over 61 hp.the 2014 has new porting and bigger valves  and a better lay out for the stock pipe im sure they worked on the intakes system the mxa dyno reads over 2 hp more than my dyno with a 450 on it so im sure that its making very good hp im getting a 450 this week from yamaha to test so i will see first hand.

I Had a brand new one on my Dynojet today, made solid 52s with stock fueling but made 54hp with some timing and fuel corrected, it responded to ignition really well. took the airbox lid off and filter out and nearly made 56hp. the over-rev holds on all really well. the Suzuki makes 52hp on my dyno, the 2013 Honda 51hp with fueling sorted. just for comparison

Edited by ghaden, September 27, 2013 - 10:52 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.