2007 WR450 Stalling out and loud motor noise after engine oil overfill

9 replies to this topic
  • Mendo

Posted September 05, 2013 - 12:12 AM

Hey guys, I brought my WR450 to a mechanic friend to have it re-jetted with a JD kit and he did an oil change as well. When I got it back it ran better than it ever has and seemed good to go.

What I did not realize is that he did not drain both bolts when he changed the oil so the oil was overfilled. On a long off-road ride the bike started backfiring and running very rough. I noticed there was oil dripping out of the airbox all over the swing arm and when I opened the airbox it was coated in oil.

Brought it was back to him and he redrained the oil (correctly this time) cleaned out the carb and changed the spark plug which was black. The bike will start up and idle but the motor sounds very loud. The motor has always sounded very clanky but it is more so now. After the bike warms up for a couple minutes it will die out and wont restart again but will just backfire alot while cranking the motor over.

He says it may be a rod knock and need a complete top end job. Was this caused by the overfilling of the oil? Any help on how to fix it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

577373_10151303684496104_1055110516_n.jp

Edited by Mendo, September 05, 2013 - 12:17 AM.

• fixitandy

Posted September 05, 2013 - 01:42 AM

Sorry mate, can't help you with your eng drama, just gotta say that's a very cool pic. ROOSTA out.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 05, 2013 - 05:26 AM

Carb is still very dirty, over flow tubes clogged, air jet clogged, muffler packing contaminated, 

I would never go to that mechanic again. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 05, 2013 - 09:37 AM

My 2012 WR was massively overfilled as well, by the dealership that serviced it for the previous owner !  I think its very common when someone changes it without reading the owners manual.

My air box filled with oil as well.  No apparent engine damage though.

• Mendo

Posted September 05, 2013 - 09:07 PM

So basically the bike runs when cold but does not run once the motor is warm. What would cause this?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted September 06, 2013 - 11:15 AM

So basically the bike runs when cold but does not run once the motor is warm. What would cause this?

Running rich / choke stuck on

Have you cleaned and re0oiled you air filter, with air filter oil, and put a new spark plug is well

Edited by GuyGraham, September 06, 2013 - 11:16 AM.

• Mendo

Posted September 18, 2013 - 02:26 AM

Running rich / choke stuck on

Have you cleaned and re0oiled you air filter, with air filter oil, and put a new spark plug is well

Yes I did all those things. I rode it the other day and it starts up and idles perfectly. Rides for about 10 minutes and then backfires loudly and dies out and will not start again for about 30 minutes when everything cools down. What the heck! 

The lack of wheelies with this bike being down is driving me crazy!
254798_10151109111326104_1750532656_n.jp

Edited by Mendo, September 18, 2013 - 02:29 AM.

• GuyGraham

Posted September 18, 2013 - 08:46 AM

clogged fuel filter?

bikes runs , uses the petrol which isn't following fast enough, stops, and then carb fills up again and it starts?

• Mendo

Posted September 25, 2013 - 11:34 AM

clogged fuel filter?

bikes runs , uses the petrol which isn't following fast enough, stops, and then carb fills up again and it starts?

Good logic there, I will check that out thanks!

• beezer

Posted September 25, 2013 - 11:52 AM

I've seem bikes with a bad coil do that.  They live in a pretty hot environment.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.