'07 YZ450F Rear Suspension Shaft Rusted ?

2 replies to this topic
  • ticke2110

Posted September 04, 2013 - 11:08 AM

Can someone help me out please,  I'm having my suspension modified (I'v gained a little weight), the shop has told me that the Rear Suspension "Shaft" is extremly rusted and needs to be replaced.  When looking at the manual/online I can not see what is meant by "shaft" - can someone tell me please, what part could the shop mean by this term ?  They are telling me the rust issue is probably due to water not being able to seep out after riding/washing due to mud & stuff blocking the seep holes.

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 04, 2013 - 02:21 PM

Most likely the rear shock shaft.  That won't be in your parts book. 

The usual cause is water gathering in between the bottoming bumper and the shaft.  People who ride in wet environments a lot, or who wash their bikes often need to be aware of this.  It can usually be prevented by sliding the bumper up the shaft while the bike dries.

• haydug

Posted September 04, 2013 - 06:45 PM

I've got a good shock $75 if you need it. You could also have it rechromed. I'd say that would be expensive.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.