'07 YZ450F - Rear Suspension Shaft Rusted

4 replies to this topic
  • ticke2110

Posted September 04, 2013 - 08:44 AM

Can someone help me out please,  I'm having my suspension modified (I'v gained a little weight), the shop has told me that the Rear Suspension "Shaft" is extremly rusted and needs to be replaced.  When looking at the manual/online I can not see what is meant by "shaft" - can someone tell me please, what part could the shop mean by this term ?  They are telling me the rust issue is probably due to water not being able to seep out after riding/washing due to mud & stuff blocking the seep holes.

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 04, 2013 - 09:09 AM

Can someone help me out please,  I'm having my suspension modified (I'v gained a little weight), the shop has told me that the Rear Suspension "Shaft" is extremly rusted and needs to be replaced.  When looking at the manual/online I can not see what is meant by "shaft" - can someone tell me please, what part could the shop mean by this term ?  They are telling me the rust issue is probably due to water not being able to seep out after riding/washing due to mud & stuff blocking the seep holes.

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Probably the swing arm pivot bolt or one of the linkage bolts.

You might want to post this in the YZ forum.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 04, 2013 - 09:57 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JDLowrance

Posted September 04, 2013 - 10:27 AM

Probably the shock shaft itself.

• KennyMc

Posted September 04, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Well there is nothing in the microfiche parts that lists a shaft as a seperate part of the rear shock.  So it must be the shock shaft itself as pointed out above. 

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2013 - 08:47 AM

It's the shock shaft.  This is a common occurrence where people ride in wet environs all the time and/or wash the bike a lot.  Water accumulates under the bottoming bumper against the shaft and corrodes it.  To avoid it, slide the bumper up the shaft once in a while to clean and dry it out.

This is also a cross post (same question posted in multiple forums), and thus a breach of forum rules.

You won't find the shaft in the fiche because Yamaha does not support the shock assembly as a serviceable unit.  Parts are widely available from any KYB dealer such as SMART Performance or Suspension Direct.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.