WR400 2000 Headlight Wiring Issue

4 replies to this topic
  • yammyman11

Posted September 03, 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hello TT Community

I am suffering from an issue with my WR400.The bike comes with a handlebar switch to turn all lights ON or OFF.When lights are ON the headlight is on main beam. I have basically put a little toggle switch on to be able to make the headlight have low/high beam. The issue I have is when I put the headlight on low beam the tail light dim's down. I think this is because the headlight and tail light are on the same circuit so I am basically dimming down the who circuit. Does anyone know a way around this at all? I was thinking I could wire the tail light into a permenant live but then it would be on all the time....Bit stuck!!

• tcmII

Posted September 03, 2013 - 05:21 PM

If you follow the yellow (I think) wire from the low headlight side of the plug to the tail light you will see that it is all the same circuit.  How did you add the toggle switch for the High Beam?  Are you switching from low to high or turning on high along with low?  In a car you would turn on both.  The switch you used may be putting some resistance on the circuit one way but not the other.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yammyman11

Posted September 04, 2013 - 03:26 AM

Yes when I switch it the from low to high then the low beam stays on also. just like a car. Someone said it sounds like an earth. I would say its meant to be how it is.

• highmark00700

Posted September 04, 2013 - 10:06 AM

Yes when I switch it the from low to high then the low beam stays on also. just like a car. Someone said it sounds like an earth. I would say its meant to be how it is.

Looks like the 98-99 wr400 has a 85w stator, the 00-02 has 130w stator. The headlight bulb is 55/60w (at least it is in my 05 450). If you run them both at the same time you're using 115w plus however much the tail light is, and only producing 130w when at higher rpm. My guess is at idle you are using more than it is producing causing your tail light to be dim. I think I would re wire it so that it comes out of the headlight plug to the switch. Then have one wire to high beam and one to low beam.

• yammyman11

Posted September 04, 2013 - 02:45 PM

problem is because the headlight and tail light all run on the same circuit i think by doing what you say will still dip the tail light when i got from hihg beam to low

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.