Best basic maintenance schedule for 450f

1 reply to this topic
  • BigNick98

Posted September 03, 2013 - 05:37 AM

Hey guys I have an 03 yz450f and was wondering what all you guys do for maintenance. I know you should change the oil every 5 hours and lube the chain but what else is there? What does everyone do to keep their bike in great shape and long lasting?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted September 05, 2013 - 03:09 PM

I use full synthetic Amsoil MCF and change it every 8-10 hours. I have a Scotts SS oil filter and clean it every couple of oil changes. Clean air filter every ride. Lube chain every ride. Install a new timing chain every 50 hours (and check the valve clearance while I'm in there). Lube cables as necessary. Clean and re-grease rear suspension bearings and steering head bearings twice a year. I change out my fork oil, seals, and bushings about once a year. I send the shock to my suspension guy about once a year.

I have over 300 hours on my '08 without one single problem. Put in a new piston & rings at 200 hours just to freshen it up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.