2003 YZ450f best hot cams?

2 replies to this topic
  • capt.270

Posted September 01, 2013 - 07:44 PM

I have a question on hot cams. I am looking to rebuild my top end on my 03 YZ450 and I don't know what brand or stage of hot cams to get that would get me the maximum performance out of my bike.  I do a lot of dune riding. Some people are saying to mix stage 1 and stage 2 hot cams to get the best performance, but this is with a 250f, would it work with a 450 to mix them like that? and would boring out my piston to a 480 help? would I need to run race fuel with both hot cams and big bore? and what brand is the best on big bore kits?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • f150jokerstyle

Posted September 03, 2013 - 09:13 PM

From what I have gathered cams for the most part on the 03-05 yz450's are like gaining 3 HP from some billet or chrome bling.  :devil:  That said I have a 470 bore and run pump gas no problem at all. If I wanted max HP I would go bigger bore higher compression and some sort of professional tuning on the jetting with race fuel. If it's sand drags you are doing a few hours on a dyno might help. To be honest a fresh 03 with attention to detail on a stock rebuild is one of the most brutal power deliveries that I have ever ridden. I have a buddy with a "factory" crf450x built by a well know race team here in CA with all the go fast parts on it and my somewhat wore out 03 is far more brutal on the bottom but his has more pull threw the top so it all kinda evens out. 

Good luck

• yzdaddy

Posted September 04, 2013 - 02:07 PM

you dont need hotter cams. good air filter and carberated right and you ve got plenty of power on stock motor

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.