Oil Change!

9 replies to this topic
  • Scarylong

Posted December 14, 2001 - 01:52 PM

Ok, tomorrow I am going to do the first oil change on my new bike. The thing is I read the Manual….. Twice! This was a huge error :) Can it be as complicated as all that? Any tips to make this less painful. I think I counted 10 items that must be removed, unless you want to change the @*%#$ filter also.

I need help! :D

• Scarylong

Posted December 14, 2001 - 02:07 PM

Sorry guys.
I'll put this over where it belongs.

• mxracer553

Posted December 14, 2001 - 03:24 PM

The first time it took me a while but now I can do it with my eyes closed! You do not need to remove the header! Take off the skid plate and water pump gaurd. Pull the drain plug first and let it drain completely before you pull the frame bolt drain. now remove the filter. Talk off the screen in the bottom of the frame and clean it out. You might want to take off the oil lines on each side of the case and drain them out to get all the crappy oil out. If you need anything else let me know!

• MikeOK

Posted December 14, 2001 - 05:00 PM

Take off the skid plate? Why? I can change my oil and clean the filter in maybe 10 minutes, and mine is the '00 that you have to loosen the head pipe. All you need to do is pull the 2 drain bolts and drain it, then clean the oil screen and that only every other time or so. I've been riding my bike for two full seasons and I've never found even a fleck in the frame screen. That would be a real pain to check every time you change the oil...

• RichB

Posted December 15, 2001 - 06:06 AM

I'm pretty sure my manual says to drain the frame before the engine. (unless I read it wrong)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxracer553

Posted December 15, 2001 - 06:18 AM

If you drain the frame first it get oil everywhere. If you drain it out of the engin first it will take the pressure off it so it doesent go everywhere.

• Fastest1

Posted December 16, 2001 - 09:17 AM

I have a 2000 and I dont need to loosen my header at all. Also to clean the frame screen I must take off the skid plate. I also drilled a small hole in the engine drain bolt( not very deep 1/4" or so) and JB welded a rare earth magnet from Radio Shack in it to attract small metal bits. Cost me what $1.35 or so? I never took off my water pump guard! Cya :)

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 16, 2001 - 04:36 PM

I too drain the frame first. All you have to do is hold the drain bolt against the frame basically half blocking the drain hole and the oil will drop right down into the pan, no mess. If you're clumbsy like me then you will probably want to invest in some latex gloves to keep the used oil off of your hands (box of 100 is about $9 at the grocery store).

• RichB

Posted December 16, 2001 - 04:44 PM

Not that it's a big deal (cause it's not) but I've only drained the oil IAW the procedure in the book i.e. the frame first. I haven't had it make a mess yet. I just turn the bars, crack the dipstick, and unscrew the frame bolt; it streams out into one of those black car oil drain pans that you can buy at wal-mart.

Once it's done streaming out I slide the pan back so it can still drool into the pan from the frame and then I pull the engine plug. Those cheap @ss plastic drain pans are just big enough to catch oil coming out of both holes.

I just figured there was some reason Yamaha spelled out the procedure (frame first) so that's the way I've been doing it....

• Boit

Posted December 16, 2001 - 11:41 PM

Do yourself a big favor and change your oil often. As time goes by, you will get into a routine of changing the oil plus cleaning/replacing the oil filter.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.