[Q] How often for a rebuild/price?

Hey Everyone,

First I would like to say thank you for reading/helping me out with your knowledge. ?

I'll be purchasing a WR450F in the near future(within 3-5 months), and I'm wanting to know how often to do a rebuild. Lets assume I purchase a 12'+ brand new and I do regular maintenance on time, Around how many miles would I need to rebuild the engine? I understand there is no "set in concrete" answer and it has to do with my riding style and you can check by compression. I don't ride hard and I tend to ride loads on dirt roads/fire roads that branch into trails for extended periods a few hrs at a time but an approximate answer would be great along with a aprox price (I don't know how to do a rebuild so I'm guessing I'll have to pay someone, or watch some youtube  :blink: )

Also, when people talk about rebuilding is that a full rebuild or top or bottom? I'm a noob at this stuff   ?

I've ridding plenty of bikes in my time but its about time I purchase my own. I just sold my ATV and I'm ready to change worlds.  Can't wait to start  :ride: .

I may even convert it to a supermoto so I can get to the trails with out having to watch my back or hauling the trailer.

Thanks everyone,

Mike

Edited by ThereThatGuy

If you keep the air filter clean and the oil changed the WR can last a long time.

A 2003 I sold to a buddy is still out there running and the valves have never been touched.

I wouldn't worry about.

Sounds good, Thanks for the info.

Just a few more checks and I'll be ready ?

Should be looking at 10000km+ easy with regular maintenance. Depending on how bad it "blows" you could be looking at $350 for a basic piston/ring and cylinder repair. To a rod snapping blowing out the case, bending/braking valves, wrecking cylinder.. In that case youl be in for a bad day (very rare) and looking at a $2000-3000 bill.

All of this will vary of course.

If you are slow, and maintain it well, you will get 500 hours on the motor, with a $500 retail top end rebuild.

If you are fast, thrashy, and basically just put oil and gas in it, you will get 250 hours with a $ 500.00 retail top end rebuild.

If you are trying to 'budget' your motorcycling expenses, and you plan on really riding the thing, the LAST thing you have to worry about is the engine repair costs.....

TIRES.

HD TUBES

LEVERS (the ones you are going to break off until you get hand guards)

HAND GUARDS

BIGGER GAS TANK

PROPER SPRING RATES

TOOLS

BIKE STAND

Hey Newbie, having owned WR 4 bangers for quite a while now, if the bikes been running fine for some time, & it starts to use oil & is cantankerous (just wanted to use that word) at start up it is usually time to dive into the top end for a freshen up, they all sound like a bag of hammers even blue printed works motors. ROOSTA out.

• Like 1