2014 WR 450f

35 replies to this topic
  • frogeye

Posted April 13, 2014 - 06:28 PM

I have the 2013 wr450fd and it had no balls in stock trim. I put on the comp ecu, throttle stop, GYTR power core slip on and now the bike rips. Night and day difference. I did not do the airbox because I just didn't think letting more dirt in was worth the risk for a couple of hp. I love my WR!

• WR4502014

Posted April 14, 2014 - 08:08 AM

Thanks Buddy!
I will try That!

• WR4502014

Posted April 14, 2014 - 08:13 AM

If you remove the so Call peehole out of the exhaust,would it still have the spark arrester component?
Meaning!
Would I get a Ticket by The Ranger?

• YHGEORGE

Posted April 14, 2014 - 03:50 PM

I too have just brought a wr450f 2014 model and was shocked at how gutless it was the rev limiter seemed to come in at only 4000 rpm and the bike felt like it had no power. I googled the hell out of solutions to no prevail, I removed the air box snorkel and removed the pea shooter exhaust tip still nothing so I called my dealer and the guys told me in the offroad and competition kit the bike came with is a small black wire with a little black box attached to the end you plug this into the white plug that's under the seat on lo and be hold she fly's heaps of power down low and revs its head off dam the suspension is so good over rough terrain too. My only problem I have with it now is it often doesn't want to start form the switch give a kick and it goes fine looking into this problem now. maybe think more powerful battery.

Are you saying there is no need for a tuner when you installed the little black box thing? It came with the bike and no extra money, parts were needed?

Edited by YHGEORGE, April 14, 2014 - 03:50 PM.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted April 14, 2014 - 04:34 PM

If you remove the so Call peehole out of the exhaust,would it still have the spark arrester component?
Meaning!
Would I get a Ticket by The Ranger?

The spark arrested stays in. The only reason to pull you over is to see how badass your WR is!

• WR4502014

Posted April 14, 2014 - 05:38 PM

Thank you so Much! I never Been to any dirtbike forum and you guys are the best!
So Glad I'm Part of it Now!
Thank you a Bunch Again!

• WR4502014

Posted April 14, 2014 - 05:48 PM

Hey Russell!
I too noticed the Starting Problem with the Electric start!
So now What i do is try the Button and after if it doesnt start let the ignition go through the whole cycle after you try it!
Meaning dont push the button again until the electronic cycle has come to a quiet stop than only then try again!
Mine will normally start after the 2nd try and if not,I turn off the power and turn the power back on then try again!
Dont run your battery dry!
I normally have to Kick mine in the Beggining of my ride to get it started!
I

• WR4502014

Posted April 14, 2014 - 05:50 PM

5270ADV Rider you Got that Right Brother!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR4502014

Posted April 14, 2014 - 05:52 PM

Thanks Frogeye!

• frogeye

Posted April 15, 2014 - 05:14 AM

Btw I have not remapped the comp ECU yet. It's in the bike the way it came and the bike starts and idles fine. The low to mid range is great and when you roll on she really wakes up BRAP BrrraP!

Edited by frogeye, April 15, 2014 - 05:14 AM.

• WR4502014

Posted April 15, 2014 - 06:31 AM

Thanks Frogeye!
I also read what YHGeorge Posted!
I tried to do it last Night and couldnt find the so call,little blacl wire with the so call little box in to the white plug!
I'm thinking his Bike probably wasnt sold in CA!
But I will get the Comp ECU and Do it the way you did it!
Thanks Brother!

• GP1K

Posted April 15, 2014 - 09:29 AM

Are you saying there is no need for a tuner when you installed the little black box thing? It came with the bike and no extra money, parts were needed?

You don't HAVE to tune the comp ECU, but it sure is a lot better if you do, depending on where you ride. The base map in the comp ECU is different than the stock ECU for sure, and designed to run on a destricted bike vs the choked up factory stocker. So definitely a big improvement over stock there. But you can really fine tune the power delivery to suit your terrain and riding style with GYTR tuner.

Check this forum for some of the FI threads relating to the 2012+ WRs, good info there.

• WR4502014

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:36 PM

Sweet

• Agalofa1

Posted October 23, 2015 - 07:29 AM

I bought 2014 WR 450  and would like to uncork the bike, my question is it I replace the stock ECU do I need to remap FI, or is that taken care of. And I can just finish with the airbox throttle screw and exhaust. Would apprieciate any help because I would like to do this right the first time and not screw up my bike.

P.S. where can I purchase the competition ECU.

• simica

Posted October 23, 2015 - 08:15 AM

Agalofa1, the competition ECU can be purchased from several aftermarket retailers, GYTR website, or your local dealer. And I believe it comes with the YZ throttle screw, but not sure. If you don't know anyone in your area that has a power tuner, just do it all at your dealer. Yes, the comp ECU needs to be remapped especially if you changed to a better exhaust system. The dealer should have several map programs to chose from. The FMF mapping works well for me. And if your having hot starting issues, have the dealer change the CO setting using the FI Diagnostic Tool. There is a lot of info about that here on TT.

• beairmo

Posted October 23, 2015 - 11:36 AM

I upgraded from 09 WR450F to '12 WR450F and can tell you for sure the 12 is just like the 09 and is a dog until uncorked. But the competition ECU and GYTR is what you are going to have to buy to unleash the power. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.