YZ426 not starting after top end rebuild - any help?

8 replies to this topic
  • amooney301

Posted August 27, 2013 - 08:21 AM

cam alignment.jpg flywheel mark.jpg I've got a 2001 YZ426f in which I just performed a top-end rebuild. Timing appears to be correct, I have spark and I've got fuel to the carb.

Any ideas???

• brandonvick83

Posted August 27, 2013 - 08:58 AM

Is there compression?

• amooney301

Posted August 27, 2013 - 09:53 AM

Plenty of compression. Engine turns over similar to before rebuild.

• grayracer513

Posted August 27, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Is the exhaust cam an aftermarket cam for a 426, or a YZ450 cam?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • amooney301

Posted August 27, 2013 - 10:40 AM

I'm not totally sure. It came off of another 2001 YZ426. Is there a way I can tell the difference? How will this affect timing?

• MrKTMrider

Posted August 27, 2013 - 10:48 AM

I'm not totally sure. It came off of another 2001 YZ426. Is there a way I can tell the difference? How will this affect timing?

Cam lobs are different.. the YZ450 keep both valves closed longer ...thefore more compression and that way the timing is affected.

• amooney301

Posted August 27, 2013 - 11:43 AM

This was the same exhaust cam that was in the bike several weeks ago when the bike was running fine right before I tore it down to rebuild.

Any specs that I should be aware of for each of the cams? Are there certain measurements in which I can identify which cam I have?

• grayracer513

Posted August 27, 2013 - 05:18 PM

This was the same exhaust cam that was in the bike several weeks ago when the bike was running fine right before I tore it down to rebuild.

If you are sure of that fact, then it's likely that the cam was made for a 426.  OEM Yamaha 450 cams can be used, but the original timing marks don't work because of differences in the way the head is laid out; valve angles and such.  You should be OK.  Take a picture of the cam lobes from the other side of the head with the timing marks lined up.  Then we can be more certain.

• amooney301

Posted August 27, 2013 - 07:19 PM

I believe I found the issue - Seized crank bearing!

I was able to get bike started, it ran for approximately a minute then stalled. I was positive that the timing was correct. Disassembled down to the piston and found crank bearing seizing at one point in the crank rotation.

Thanks for the help.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.