California-Northern

Downieville Trail Project

54 replies to this topic
  • Dave Wood

Posted August 26, 2013 - 06:11 PM

We had 21 people working on a new trail today at Downieville.  Tahoe NF trail crew, SBTS, Sierra Motosports, Maier Mfg. and NoToil employees all worked hard today.  Plus a couple members of the NCWR.

The trail is nearly complete and may take one or two more volunteer projects to complete?

Zero help from ThumperTalk regulars.  That was to be expected.  Excuses...

The next volunteer trail project is Sept 8.

It is very important that this trail be completed before it snows.  Snow helps with curing a trail and helps compact the soil.  If the trail is completed in the spring, it will remain closed, for another season.  If it is completed this Fall, then it will open to ride when the snow melts.

Hope one or more of you will make plans to attend the next volunteer work project.  I could care less about hearing more excuses.  I only want to hear from the one or two, responsible riders, willing to commit.

I have pictures and video, but you'll need to go up and help to see the new trail.  Trust me, those of you who enjoy single track trails are going to like this trail.  By helping you get to ride the completed section in/out.  Way fun!

For those who can't attend, instead of posting excuses.  How about making an order with NoToil.  Maier Mfg. or Sierra Motosports and be sure to say thanks for their business, talking part in this project.  The Butcher Ranch Trail Extension.

Edited by Dave Wood, August 26, 2013 - 07:32 PM.

• squid reuel

Posted August 26, 2013 - 07:27 PM

sorry I cant make this one! I have irritated taint syndrome, known as  ITS, I also have to mow the lawn, I promesd the wife I would BBQ that day, my brother in law is coming for dinner, I gotta work on my bike, I have tendinitis in my right elbow, my car broke down, its to dusty, its to far to drive, its my sister in laws birth day, I have to go to my brother in laws friends wedding, we are going to the willits rodeo, im putting new carpet in my house, the wife has planes, I cant afford the gas, its my day to watch the kids,....... :lame:

• hockdog

Posted August 26, 2013 - 07:39 PM

Now that I have ridden Downieville, I see what it's all about and will make the time and effort to volunteer. 

As far as placing an order with No Toil or Sierra Motorsports, I run No Toil in all of my 5 dirt bikes and Sierra Motorsports got about $10K from me last year for a new KTM, I'm doing my part to keep them around.  Post the next work party, lets do it!

• superslyko

Posted August 26, 2013 - 08:07 PM

:thumbsup: Way to go Dave!

Using guilt to motivate me works every time!

Sept 8th you say?!  Driving 4 hours to dig holes in the dirt!? Sign me up!  I can't wait!

• Dave Wood

Posted August 26, 2013 - 08:21 PM

:thumbsup: Way to go Dave!

Using guilt to motivate me works every time!

Sept 8th you say?!  Driving 4 hours to dig holes in the dirt!? Sign me up!  I can't wait!

I use guilt, however SBTS provides lunch and free beer.  Good beer, too. 

So don't help because I asked.  Or because one gets a good feeling being part of a project to improve OHV opportunity.

Go for the FREE BEER...

• johnbigbootie

Posted August 27, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Dave can you please post details about the Sept 8 work when they are available? Thanks!

• Dave Wood

Posted August 27, 2013 - 09:27 AM

Meet in Downieville.

9:00 am

First parking lot on the right when you come into town on Hwy. 49, from the west.

You will sign in, (volunteer agreement) and the USFS will conduct a short safety meeting.

From Reno/Truckee.  Hwy 89 North to Hwy. 49 west.  Turn right, north at Bassetts on the Gold Lake Hwy.  About a mile up the grade look for the signs to Packer Lake/Packer Saddle.  Turn left and cross the bridge.  Take the first right, up to Packer Saddle.  Take the 93-3 road to the Butcher Ranch Trail Head.  You will see the trucks parked on the road at the Trail Head.  If you arrive at 10:00 am, the volunteers from town should be arriving shortly after 10:00 am.  You can sign the volunteer agreement when Joe Chavez arrives.

Bring your bike to ride to/from the work project site.  You will ride the completed trail section in/out.  The group will ride up Third Divide and Butcher Ranch Trails to the project site. 

If your without a bike you can hitch a ride with a shuttle and they will drive you up/back.  Yuba Expediations, Downieville Outfitters or SBTS will drive you around, if needed.  Be sure to let Joe Chavez know when you RSVP that you will need a ride.

Tahoe NF and/or SBTS will furnish tools.  They are on site and no need to pack tools in/out on your bike.

Bring safety glasses, gloves, work boots, water and a snack.  Yesterdays project food, drinks and beer provided.  Some rode up in work clothes, others suited up and worked in riding gear.

RSVP with Tahoe NF Trails Manager, Joe Chavezhttp://joetchavez@fs.fed.us Need a headcount to make sure enough tools are on hand and for the food.

We had one Adventure bike attend yesterday.  Many Epic adventure routes to/from Downieville.

Flakes need not RSVP, we all know you will come up with an excuse! lol

Thanks to all the riders who volunteer.   

This is a hand cut single track trail.  I hope you will notice the difference between single track and bulldozer, trail tractor Quad Crap routes.  It is a shame that our managed OHV areas, no longer provide single track trails.  The pressure this puts on the few areas that have trails is enormous.

• hockdog

Posted August 27, 2013 - 10:36 AM

This is a hand cut single track trail.  I hope you will notice the difference between single track and bulldozer, trail tractor Quad Crap routes.  It is a shame that our managed OHV areas, no longer provide single track trails.  The pressure this puts on the few areas that have trails is enormous.

I concur, trail construction and maintenance is dictated by people who sit in offices and don't have a clue what is going on in the real world outside.  They create rules and guidelines for trails designed to accommodate the lowest common denominator rider, not a skilled seasoned enthusiast looking for a challenge in a sea of mediocrity.  Add to that, all the biological and environmental B.S. the numerous government agencies have created to stifle any new trail construction, I feel fortunate that Stony was re-opened after only a year.  Maybe there is an opportunity to open up an dialog with the USFS and create a partnership between the Forest Service, riding clubs, M/C. stores or maybe a "Friends of Stonyford" group with funding to make it happen.

I've seen how much clout SBTS has, I've spent 4 days shovelling snow before the Classic, I've donated dollars to the organization to keep trails open even though I don't ride a mountain bike.  The point being, there is an independent group that has made true single track happen in a national forest, maybe it can happen in the Mendocino National Forest.........it would not be easy, it would take time, resources, environmental policy knowledge, people who can deal with the forest service, and here's the big one.....money.  The SBTS has proven it can be done.

• braap916

Posted August 27, 2013 - 01:15 PM

Will there be another after this one? If so....do you know the date?

• Dave Wood

Posted August 27, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Will there be another after this one? If so....do you know the date?

Not sure?

Last year they had to cancel, early snow.  Who knows this year?

• ozcalxr4

Posted August 27, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Zero help from ThumperTalk regulars.  That was to be expected.  Excuses...

For those who can't attend, instead of posting excuses.  How about making an order with NoToil.  Maier Mfg. or Sierra Motosports and be sure to say thanks for their business, talking part in this project.  The Butcher Ranch Trail Extension.

the regulars are too busy updating their facebook pages... 

maier and sierra motorsports are local businesses for me... good folks indeed... very worthy of support.. marks cycle store is also another great local business.. 

• squid reuel

Posted August 27, 2013 - 04:43 PM

I provide tacos and Gaborone juice to my volunteers, Dave just eats the camp fire cooked chicken tacos, he doesn't drink my vodka drinks he dosnt want to end up looking like me. :goofy:  :jawdrop:  

• Dave Wood

Posted August 27, 2013 - 05:02 PM

the regulars are too busy updating their facebook pages... 

maier and sierra motorsports are local businesses for me... good folks indeed... very worthy of support.. marks cycle store is also another great local business.. 

It would be great to see Marks Cycle Shop participate in volunteer trail projects.  Sorry to report that Marks Cycle was not present.

Maybe you could encourage him to take part in the Sept 8 volunteer trail project.

• prplhzei.t200

Posted August 27, 2013 - 05:54 PM

What time does the free beer start flowing?

• prplhzei.t200

Posted August 27, 2013 - 05:54 PM

What time does the free beer start flowing?

• bigbob

Posted August 27, 2013 - 06:13 PM

Good work, thanks everyone!

• boyce418

Posted September 01, 2013 - 09:18 AM

Count me in!!!  I live very close, and I ride there often.  I don't drink beer, but you don't have to bribe or guilt trip me!!!  I just want to ride epic single track!!!  See you at 9:00, I will be on a Beta 525 RS :)

• hockdog

Posted September 01, 2013 - 11:46 AM

I will be there too, give some time and labor to keep single track alive.

Edited by hockdog, September 01, 2013 - 11:47 AM.

• prplhzei.t200

Posted September 01, 2013 - 07:21 PM

Myself and 2 others are going to be there. But, I know this will sound like an excuse, but, my older, disabled brother that lives with me had brain tumor surgery 9 days ago. He is in a re-hab facility now and is progressing slowly. That could change at any time. I don't forsee that happening, but ya never know. Barring anything like that we will be there!

• hockdog

Posted September 08, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Had a good turnout of riders to cut more trail, with one more good day, we will be able to finish the trail. 

Met some great people from the Nevada County Woods Riders, Bill, Mike, Steve and Adam, thank you for all of the help.  The day started off with a small burp with a flat tire, but with some slime and some clever ideas, it made it the rest of the day. 

Long day on the hill, didn't get home till 8p.m., but we made some great progress.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.