WR 450 F for enduro riding?

69 replies to this topic

Posted September 07, 2013 - 07:47 AM

Midlifecrisis:

The 08-09 YZ450F stock motor and exhaust needs no de-tuning for off road riding. They did it for you from the factory. Excellent machine. 11 lbs heavier than a YZ250 two stroke. 

Of course the WR offers the button, 18 inch wheel, trail suspension etc but if on a budget these "slow" MXers are good for off road too. 

Its actually about 20lbs heavier than yz250. Agreed though on the motor, it is a great motor for offroad riding. Its still one of the best track converted for trails bike I have ever owned.

• shrubitup

Posted September 07, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Its actually about 20lbs heavier than yz250. Agreed though on the motor, it is a great motor for offroad riding. Its still one of the best track converted for trails bike I have ever owned.

Yamaha web site says wet weight between the two is 11 lbs. Either way, it doesn't feel heavy to me. Not saying it's better than a 12+ WR450 either but the price can be good sometimes. I don't need the WR transmission since I don't ride at speed so even cheaper. :)

• vlxjim

Posted September 07, 2013 - 11:15 PM

KTM's aren't junk but Krannie does make some good points on the mechanics of them that you will find out after owning one for a while. Like all bikes there are certain likes and dislikes on the quality of certain parts or how it was designed/put together (good or bad). When you buy a KTM you are buying a purpose built race bike that performs well out of the box but will require more attention on the preventative maintenance side. This is due to the fact that certain parts are built lighter by using lighter weight material or made thinner which is why the newer style motors are having such a higher failure rate than their older style motors did. Back to your point of all the KTM models being better than the WR I feel your missing the point. The EXC was designed for the dual sport/trail riding guy, not exactly on par with a WR in a race situation without serious suspension work, gearing changes, installation of radiator fan etc. The XC-W was designed for the trail rider/racer but like the WR will require some suspension valving for the faster riders. The XC was built for the guy that rides track and trails but for serious offroad racing a revalve would be needed. It also does not come with a lighting package so that would need to be added if required. The other point you are missing is that the current WR for the most part shares the same motor, wheels and a few electronics as the previous one and that's about it. Yamaha sells the bike with all the restrictions on it required by law but they make it possible to pull it all off and tune it for a purpose built offroad racer (that's how they designed it). Once you take everything off to lighten it up per Yamaha, install the pipe and reprogram the FI per Yamaha you will have an offroad race bike that is lighter, more nimble, has better suspension and handling than that of the KTM. If the KTM was the better all around package in performance and reliability then I would have bought it over the WR without thinking twice about it. Each to their own, if you want performance out of the box and stay on top of things down the road then KTM is the answer.

The 2012-14 WR450 it not the same old WR motor. its closer to a 2009 YZ and it has larger crank and rod bearings, head and cams are different. Plus with the FI and ECU that you can adjust the fuel and timing. That said motors do look similar.

Posted September 08, 2013 - 01:41 PM

The 2012-14 WR450 it not the same old WR motor. its closer to a 2009 YZ and it has larger crank and rod bearings, head and cams are different. Plus with the FI and ECU that you can adjust the fuel and timing. That said motors do look similar.

I was speaking figuratively.

• Bandit9

Posted October 06, 2013 - 09:59 AM

When comparing YZF and 2012+WRF, any serious rider will each have the Suspension rebuilt and tuned to their personal needs. If they don't, they are missing out on the biggest performance gain to be had. So from my view, suspension rebuild is mandatory for every new bike. Also, now they are the same Fork and Shock basically. Just different valving.

Edited by Bandit9, October 06, 2013 - 11:12 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • waltersobchak

Posted October 06, 2013 - 12:44 PM

Midlifecrisis:

Of course the WR offers the button, 18 inch wheel, trail suspension etc but if on a budget these "slow" MXers are good for off road too.

What is confusing is the new YZFs MSRP is more than new WR. You get so much more on the WR, kickstand, e start, trip comp, o ring chain, steel sprockets, etc.

• Bandit9

Posted October 06, 2013 - 01:04 PM

What is confusing is the new YZFs MSRP is more than new WR. You get so much more on the WR, kickstand, e start, trip comp, o ring chain, steel sprockets, etc.

You get more weight too.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2013 - 01:04 PM

That's because it is limited production.

Less than 1500 for the USA. 

• Bandit9

Posted October 06, 2013 - 01:08 PM

That's because it is limited production.
Less than 1500 for the USA.

Wow! That's it? I was way off on that.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 06, 2013 - 07:34 PM

I dropped a few more pounds off my WR, twirled some clickers and put on an FMF muffler. We rode 25 miles of tight, technical single track today... it rocks ! Its starting to become a fast woods bike.

I guess I should explain why its a getting to be a great woods bike... after shaving 22 pounds off it, its much easier to "flick" and man handle. Yeah, its 13 pounds lighter than the lightest woods bikes (238 versus 225) but for a large rider, its very manageable.

The suspension is probably the best starting point of any stock bike. Any serious woods bike is going to need revalving and respringing, but the WRs are a great place to start.

The engine is simply fantastic. My WR450F is the fastest bike in our group. Not only is it fastest, its fastest without fanning the clutch, shifting like crazy, revving the hell out of it, etc. As a matter of fact, when we drag race, my WR450F must be started in 3rd gear and it simply torques past the other bikes. And this is on the stock tune.

The big thing about an engine like that is how easy it makes difficult terrain. You never have to think about what the engine is going to do, because its always there and always ready to accelerate when you turn the grip.

And its very tractable. Its not dancing around like some other bikes.

And the engine is infinitely tunable with the GYTR tuner.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, October 07, 2013 - 07:23 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.