how to tell what year a 426 motor is?

3 replies to this topic
  • bikejunkie2003

Posted August 25, 2013 - 06:27 AM

I have a 02 426 and  im looking at a used 426  motor to buy but for a build project, its not in the bike and the guy is not sure what year it is. Any way to identify the year of this thing from outer markings? Asked the local yamaha dealer they said no way to tell if its not in the frame

Edited by bikejunkie2003, August 25, 2013 - 06:28 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2013 - 01:38 PM

I'm not aware of any external physical distinctions, and apparently, the engine numbers are useless for tracking anything because nobody knows what they indicate.

But, if you open the drive side up, you can remove the nut holding the crank gear and see if the gear is splined, which would make it an '01-'02, or anchored by a single key slot.  The 2000 was keyed, the later ones weren't.

Something to be aware of:  A 426 cylinder can be installed on a YZ400 with the right mix of parts, but it's a different engine underneath that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bikejunkie2003

Posted August 27, 2013 - 05:28 PM

I'm not aware of any external physical distinctions, and apparently, the engine numbers are useless for tracking anything because nobody knows what they indicate.

But, if you open the drive side up, you can remove the nut holding the crank gear and see if the gear is splined, which would make it an '01-'02, or anchored by a single key slot.  The 2000 was keyed, the later ones weren't.

Something to be aware of:  A 426 cylinder can be installed on a YZ400 with the right mix of parts, but it's a different engine underneath that.

thanks thats good to know!!!!! anything i can do to tell if thats what  im looking at?

• grayracer513

Posted August 28, 2013 - 06:04 AM

The cylinder has the size of the engine it was built for cast into the lower front corner. 

The 426 used clutch components that were considerably larger than the 400, and the right side cover is clue as to that.  The 426 clutch cover is nearly identical to those on the 450's, while the 400 is distinctly smaller.  Here again, though, the 426 right side cover can be bolted onto a 400, so fraud is still possible.

A good way to see the differences is to take a look through the different picture threads listed in the forum index.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.