yz426f oil line delet kit?

9 replies to this topic
  • bikejunkie2003

Posted August 25, 2013 - 05:57 AM

ive seen people talk about a kit for the 426 that eleminates the oil reservoir and lines in the frame. Any one no what brand or where i might look for this

• Fastest1

Posted August 25, 2013 - 06:04 AM

Yes these kits existed in the day (Dr. D offered them). Now to the real question, why? Do you think the 16 ounce saving will put you further up at the races? Now that you have cut your oil capacity in half, will you change the oil after every ride? If you are not a sponsored rider (which obviously you aren't if riding a 13 year old machine) are you just trying to blow it up? There are plenty of mods to increase power, torque and or ease of use. This mod does nothing.

Edited by Fastest1, August 25, 2013 - 06:06 AM.

• bikejunkie2003

Posted August 25, 2013 - 06:17 AM

Yes these kits existed in the day (Dr. D offered them). Now to the real question, why? Do you think the 16 ounce saving will put you further up at the races? Now that you have cut your oil capacity in half, will you change the oil after every ride? If you are not a sponsored rider (which obviously you aren't if riding a 13 year old machine) are you just trying to blow it up? There are plenty of mods to increase power, torque and or ease of use. This mod does nothing.

thanks for the info I was not real sure about this and it did seem a little weired! Im not really looking to do it but i was wanting to know if it was a good or bad deal sounds like it has all the potential of a real bad idea

• Fastest1

Posted August 25, 2013 - 06:32 AM

Good choice though you could probably find the kit cheaply ( the one benefit of having an older bike, cheap aftermarket parts!). Have you done all of the free mods? BK mod? Auto decompression cam from a 450 or Hotcams? All good mods.

• bikejunkie2003

Posted August 25, 2013 - 06:51 AM

Good choice though you could probably find the kit cheaply ( the one benefit of having an older bike, cheap aftermarket parts!). Have you done all of the free mods? BK mod? Auto decompression cam from a 450 or Hotcams? All good mods.

im going to do the Auto decompression mod soon, i dont know of the other mods though

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:17 AM

The BK Mod was done to early 426's (maybe even all) due to a large squirt from the accel pump. It had a tendency to flood the motor (or actually wet the plug). IIRC the wonderful Garrett Berg aka Motoman393 brought it to our attention. A simple mod if it hasn't been done already. Another good product for this particular bike IMO was to install a plate in the intake just before the carb. Between the air box and carb not carb and motor. This product could be homemade or purchased. I believe it became known as the power wing IIRC. All I know is that it helped mine start considerably easier for whatever reason ( this is a hotly contested mod. Believe what you want. I believe it works well was worth the effort or money). It can always be removed if it doesn't work for you. A JD jetting kit is essential if it isn't already installed. (It contains a variation of accel pump mod also).

• Fastest1

Posted August 25, 2013 - 02:05 PM

Btw, The BK Mod was named for its creator, Brian Kinney. He was Tim Ferry's mechanic. Tim was the first Yz400f factory rider.

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2013 - 03:11 PM

Ferry started with Yamaha in 1998 on a 250.  He started on the 426 in 2001.

Doug Henry won the 1997 Las Vegas Supercross on the prototype YZM400, and the 1998 250 National MX Championship on the YZ400F production model.

Ferry's 4-strokes were known for their short gearboxes.  He ran a 3 speed in '03 on the 450.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 26, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Fastest1, there's a name I don't recall seeing on TT in a LONG time.  Still have your 426?

• Fastest1

Posted August 26, 2013 - 12:09 PM

Yes Cowboy! I mostly clean the carb more than I ride now days. I have moved to within a few miles of 3 Palms in the Houston Conroe area but am too old to ride there. Most likely going to start riding the forest. 3 kids have slowed me down but they are now between 10-13 so maybe there will be time. Good to hear from you.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.